PDA

View Full Version : Planning my first bin

Jerricko
03-31-2014, 06:06 AM
I'm still pondering the details of my first bin cage. It is being built for a Campbell.

I want it to have 2 stories and the most pressing matter I face is proper ventilation on the first floor. The mesh I am using is made of hard plastic and I don't want it to be within reach of the hamster. Would it be adequate to drill holes in such a pattern that the hammy would not be able to chew them out and escape?

For the floor of the second floor, I've found plywood(I think it's plywood) in my garage with a finish on one side that I think will make it very resistant to fluids. Originally, I wanted the second floor to span the whole bin with holes cut in for tubes that go down to the first floor; but now I am considering to make the second floor span only 75% of the bin with a ramp between the floors, a high wall to stop the hammy from falling off the second floor and making the side that the second floor does not reach a large vent.

I'm also going to put 2 large vents into the lid of the bin that the hammy won't be able to reach.

humfry
03-31-2014, 11:05 AM
I just started a bin home & like you found a piece of plywood in the garage to make a first floor. There's no finish on mine so I'm planning to seal the surface with diluted PVA.

The hardest job has been cutting holes in the bin lid - really tough plastic is used for my IKEA bin - but it's done. Good luck with that exercise!

Esmy
03-31-2014, 11:11 AM
Are you talking about one bin or two? You can create quite a large top screen for just one bin. Is your concern the plastic mesh? You can't find wire mesh at a hardware store? I don't know how you could do a plastic mesh and two levels. I hope I'm right about recalling you said you bought the plastic mesh. If not, sorry!

Jerricko
03-31-2014, 11:47 AM
It's only one bin and I couldn't find wire mesh. I'm a little worried about the wood and using glue. I think the smaller floor would be better because there will be room for a big wheel.

Esmy
03-31-2014, 11:51 AM
What country do you live in? Maybe someone cod advise. Otherwise I'm sure you know it will have to be out of reach. Giving room for a big wheel is a good idea. :)

Non-toxic glue should be fine. The hamster may chew the wood and you may want to put a non-toxic finish on it so the urine doesn't absorb into the wood.

Jerricko
03-31-2014, 12:04 PM
South Africa

Maybe I should not use wood just to be safe and just connect my old terrarium and have the bin stand on it, but I don't know how to fasten the 2 together.

Esmy
03-31-2014, 12:11 PM
Hmm if you want tips on the connection, pictures would likely help people come up with ideas. I don't know how you'd do it, sorry. I'd post a picture of the terrarium, bin, and connectors you have and ask for help. Good luck! :)

Jerricko
03-31-2014, 12:56 PM
I would need to clean the terrarium before posting a pic :P

My bin is 43cm x 67cm x 29cm, so I suppose it is large enough for a lone Campbell and I can expand later. I also have old ceramic hides that belonged to my scorpion; but they are very low (about 1 inch high) and I would want to disinfect them.

Esmy
03-31-2014, 01:01 PM
Which is bigger? The terrarium or the bin? The bin seems like a good size.

Jerricko
03-31-2014, 01:07 PM
The bin is bigger, the terrarium (which is the same as the one the shop uses for the hammies) is 50cm X 30cm

Esmy
03-31-2014, 01:09 PM
Ohh ok well that makes it easy to decide. :)

Jerricko
04-01-2014, 01:51 AM
My brother (who left the wood in my garage) believes the wood would be fine for a hamster cage; I'm still skeptical. :?

Jerricko
04-02-2014, 09:43 AM
I've bought some wooden sticks from a craft shop and some water resistant, solvent free wood glue to build my hammy a large hide. Is there anything I need to do with the wood before I start building?

Esmy
04-02-2014, 10:37 AM
Sorry, I don't know. But if you don't get an answer after a bit, you may want to post it as a separate question. :)

basilthehammy
04-02-2014, 10:40 AM
You can get a sealent that will keep any wee from staining