PDA

View Full Version : Food bowl

Harry08
08-03-2008, 10:29 AM
Hi i was just wondering if you tend to scatter feed or use bowls. i scatter feed the gerbils food as it gives them something to do trying to find it etc but im not sure if its ok to do for hamsters? any help would be appreciated. Thanks :)

suga
08-03-2008, 10:42 AM
I use a bowl for Lilbear (she's a tidy hamster and likes things just so :wink: ).
Fuzee on the other hand use to tip the bowl upside, empty the food out and push the bowl into a corner, or alternatively through it around the cage :? . Once I realised she didn't like the bowl I would either bury her food in the shavings, put it in to cardboard roll for her to find or would scatter it around and let her clean it all up. She was daft though, as she would move all the food every time under her water bottle which would mean it would get soggy and even if i moved it away, she'd put it all back :-).

So I think in a way, your hamster will tell you if they want a bowl or not :lol:

Harry08
08-03-2008, 12:12 PM
LOL i'll keep the bowl for now and see what Schofield decides!! Thanks for the answer :D

pophammy
08-03-2008, 01:06 PM
We have bowls for our Syrians, but scatter feed the Dwarfs. We used to have a pair of Dwarfs who had to be scatter fed (they can become posessive over the food bowl), but had to split them up so we just kept scatter-feeding them.

happysaz133
08-03-2008, 01:42 PM
Jasper tipped his plastic bowl over, so I dug out the ceramic one I had in his old cage, and used that, he's fine with it. He just eats what he needs and goes about his business. I don't think I could scatter feed even if he wanted me to, I hate untidiness and would be tidying his cage up all the time!

Hanlou
08-04-2008, 12:45 PM
I love the little two-coloured ceramic bowls that they sell at Pets at home for hamsters - they're a perfect size and height.

Herbert and Tinkerbell both like their bowls - I have two bowls - one for dry mix and one for fresh.