PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal?

iainj
08-01-2008, 06:11 PM
Hey guys,

Just noticed my hamster seems to be acting differently (female huskey robo ~5 months old) She's lying still in different parts of the aquarium we've housed her in. Sometimes she presses herself up against the glass. She does this when noone is around so it can't be that she's scared of something. She is usually very active at night, buy as I type this she is lying/resting against her bedding and coconut toy. It's like she's having a rest after exercising, but only noticed her acting this way since a couple of days ago.

I've been thinking it might be a temperature issue - and she's pressing herself against the glass because it's a little cooler. The best way to describe the way she is resting is that she looks like a dog lying on the floor.

I can try and take a picture the next time she does it... just wondering if (probably not explained it all that well) if anyone else thinks they've seen their hamsters behaving in a similar manner. Her cage is in my living room which is usually quite bright during the day, but the cage isn't in direct sunlight.

She is eating/drinking as normal.

Hope she's ok!

Bunsey
08-01-2008, 08:36 PM
my robos and also winter whites do that as well. it looks most uncomfortable, but seems to be normal. i find they change sleeping/napping location a lot too :)

T-Bone
08-02-2008, 12:50 AM
Our winter whites have been doing exactly the same thing ever since the weather really heated up!

souffle
08-02-2008, 02:23 AM
I think also that she is trying to cool herself. All out dwarfs are sleeping out in the open just now, usually lying on their backs :lol: You can give her a ceramic tile which has been put in the fridge to lie on or even just the tile is cooling. Also a terracotta flower pot on its side can be cooling. Keep the cage in the coolest area of the house and shaded from any sun. Have a fan in the room but not directly on the hamsters and you can offer a slightly defrosted veg such as a frozen pea or a piece of cooled cumcumber (only a tiny bit though) Dwarfs have very thick dense coats and can have trouble cooling themselves. Make sure they have plenty water.

iainj
08-04-2008, 08:13 AM
Thanks guys, feel better I know other robos are doing the same!

I'm in Scotland anyway so pretty confident the warm weather won't last!

She seems fine now, it is a little cooler.

Thanks agian!

arikata
08-04-2008, 02:29 PM
I think also that she is trying to cool herself. All out dwarfs are sleeping out in the open just now, usually lying on their backs :lol:

That sounds so cute!!