PDA

View Full Version : oh I'm so upset

Ness
07-30-2008, 10:41 AM
I had to split my two robo boys up today after they had been together for 2 and a half years, pixie has taken a massive chunck out of pucks chest. I've been to the vets which worried me as I'm a bit low on money and have got a big bottle of pevidine, they didn't think anti b's were needed, but talked me through some creams I could make at home. At least it was the nice vet who only charges me for the meds and not the consultation.

I'm just upset that I had to split them after all this time, if they were younger I wouldn't have felt so bad, but these have never been apart. I know it's a bit stupid I even cried as it upset me so much.

also pixie is in a small bin cage that I put together last night and am considering slipting the old cage into two (it's 80cm by 40cm), but I would need help doing this as I don't know how to fit the mesh in the cage. if that doesn't work I will by a new cage next week as I will be able to aford it.

pophammy
07-30-2008, 11:47 AM
Oh no! :( I'm sure that they will be better off as single hamsters though, and I hope that Puck feels better soon. We had to split our WW males up too, it seems to be quite common for Dwarfs not to live together.

souffle
07-30-2008, 12:21 PM
That is a pity ness. Maybe something has triggered it like one being a bit of colour or a new hamster smell around. I hope he heals up well and you manage to sort the cage thing out. I'm sure he will be fine in a bit for now.

arikata
07-31-2008, 12:07 PM
Aww that's aweful :( Have they ever fought before?x

jayne
07-31-2008, 12:11 PM
I'm sorry to hear about this ness.
It's great though that they lived together so long though. I hope Puck heals up soon and isnt too distressed by it :(

Ness
07-31-2008, 02:49 PM
Aww that's aweful :( Have they ever fought before?x
no it's never happened before, they were often very good towards each other.

Souffle I haven't brought any new hamsters into the house for a few months now so I doubt that was it, though I do agree it could have been due to one of them having an off day. there are no signs of any of them being ill, well apart from pucks wound.

I'm cleaning it a few times a day, sometimes it looks like it's getting better and other times it looks like he's just scratched it or caught it?

Some people say you should use shavings while there are cuts like this, but I'm unsure about that. I think they use a few layers of kitchen roll? I understand that it wouldn't be as good and would need changing a lot more often, but if it keeps on getting caught I will try it out. if it is the shavings chatching it, it should only take a few days to scab over. though if it's his doing theres nothing I can do other than try and prevent infection?

souffle
07-31-2008, 03:03 PM
I would stop bathing it now ness and let it scab over. as long as it is not sticky or oozy it should heal well. I would use the normal bedding. We used shavings when Bingley had his wounds and none stuck. I would take out the sand bath though and make sure you clean frequently. Sometimes they scratch at wounds s they can be itchy when healing. There is not a lot you can do to stop them except maybe giving other things to keep them busy like card boxes/tubes/chews/ treats/ buried food etc. Get well soon Puck.

Ness
07-31-2008, 03:11 PM
he has most things in his cage but I will bury some food around the cage.

Yes I was thinking of taking the sand bath out as well, I will take it out now.

I think you'll right on the bathing, I will stop it for now and let it close up. though if it looks funny I will bath it again.

I have a cream to put on scabs to help them heal and it'sfor animals. the vet said that I should get something like this, though never told me how often to put it on. has anyone else had a cream like this before?

souffle
07-31-2008, 04:10 PM
We have never usd any creams or lotions on dwarfs. With bites we were advised by a breeder with lots of experience to simply bathe once with cooled boiled water and then leave to heal naturally unless there are signs of infection.

Ness
08-06-2008, 05:44 AM
Right Pucks cut has healed up great. but I found a lump to the opersit side of the cut. it's developed really quickly. I've been checking on him a few times a day once in the morning, once around midday, once around tea time, and once in the evening. I'm even looked at him around his cut and checked for lumps every times but I only noticed this at 11pm last night and it's like a balloon. At first I just thought it was his fur as he doesn't have any round the cut atm and that can make a difference in appearence.
Though he doesn't seem to be in any pain at the moment, and is running around happierly, eat very well, and drinking his normal amount. I feel a bit bad about this I explained to the vet (when I took him into the vets for the cut) that it was a bad cut for a robo and he didn't really care too much, so I wondering is I should take him to the vets though it'll have to be tomorrow. I know what they will say and in someways if he's still ok atm I don't want them to put him to sleep until I am sure he's in pain (puck is normal very vocal when in pain).

I think it's happened due to the stress of the cut and everything, but I am unsure about what it is completely, tumor, or a build up in fluid.

I might still ask the vets to tell me what they think via the phone.
I've never put an animal to sleep, I will feel a bit guilty but know that it's needed if they are in that much of a state. also how much does it cost? I know thats silly to ask but it'll be nice to have an idea. I do have enough money for it in my vet fund but still.

I'm worrying but ok about it really.

sorry for the long post

souffle
08-06-2008, 02:18 PM
It sounds to me like he has an abcess adjacent to the cut ness. I doubt a tumour would come up so quickly unless it is very agressive. A small course of antibiotics should sort out the abcess. We have a dwarf on this at the moment for a similar lump. He has 0.1ml twice a day of baytril by syringe. Now the consultation and baytril cost about £15. The vet says that if if does not clear in a week he would like to operate and I asked the cost. At our vet he said it would be £35. Usual cost for PTS is around £7 at our practice (it was £12 as an emergency on a bank holiday once) Some charge more, some less. A fluid filled cyst might be drainable by syringe. Only you can decide what is best for Puck but whatever you decide it will be the right decision.

Hanlou
08-07-2008, 12:53 AM
I'd agree Ness - it sounds more like an abcess than anything else. Some of my rats are very prone to abcesses because of where they came from and they do come up very, very quickly and can sometimes grow to an alarming size almost overnight. Antibiotics are great and I usually find that once an abcess bursts and it can be drained etc it heals up very quickly.

I usualy bathe the area with slightly diluted Hibiscrub and put some Vetzyme antiseptic powder on the wound / abcess. I love this stuff as I'm convinced it really speeds up the healing process; the vets I have mentioned to agree that it is good stuff. It can soothe any soreness too - you can get it from bigger pet shops. :)

Whatever you decide I hope things work out ok. Let us know anyway.

souffle
08-08-2008, 02:10 PM
I like the vetzyme powder too Hanlou. It is a nice natural product and contains plant extracts. :D

Hanlou
08-09-2008, 09:53 AM
I like the vetzyme powder too Hanlou. It is a nice natural product and contains plant extracts. :D

I swear by it souffle! :)

I'm totally convinced that in some cases it made all the difference between a wound healing up and going nasty. I've always got a tub in just in case together with mini Melonin dressings and cohesive bandages. :wink: