PDA

View Full Version : Harvey

Syrian Hammy
03-14-2014, 12:51 PM
This is the only picture I have right now of the little man. Not sure of age but he was living in a mini duna and handled very badly by my 3 year old cousin. Obviously the kid shouldn't of ice a hamster in the first place and her mum was to scared to handle him. So the only interaction he knows is rough play. He bite my cousin quite hard when I was visiting and thankfully she asked me to take him. I couldn't pass on him so I'm happily took him in. Her now living in luxury with a sand bath, wheel, decent food and loads of toys. Poor wee mite is naturally scared of being picked up. He had a little wonder on our sofa earlier today when he woke up. He did empty his pouches all over the place but given time he'll become less frightened once he knows I'm not going to be rough with me. He's a little darling. I've named him Harvey. More photos to come.

souffle
03-14-2014, 12:55 PM
He looks lovely :) Good for you taking him on.
Hamsters are not pets for 3 year olds without major undertaking by the adult carer. really they should just stroke them now and then and be shown how to care.

CreamSyrian
03-14-2014, 01:25 PM
Aww he's a little cutie :) Poor little boy, I'm so glad you've rescued him and gave him a second chance essentially. I get so annoyed when parents regard hamsters as small, pocket pets and buy them for their children wiyhough knowing the correct care. :roll: Can't wait to see more of him, he'll love getting spoilt I guess :D

icklemunch
03-14-2014, 01:30 PM
Awwww he's beautiful. What a lovely happy ending. So glad he's found his forever home with you.

DrKMcK
03-14-2014, 01:30 PM
Glad Harvey is with you now. It's really a shame. I think your cousin's mother may not have understood how dangerous it was for your cousin to handle this poor little guy. It is very likely that your cousin may have squeezed him several times. That's more than likely why he bit the little child. So, it's not at all hard to understand why he's scared to be handled now. In fact, I'm very surprised he's even alive. Internal damage can be done by small children squeezing a hammy that small. Harvey is a lucky little furry whose life has changed...even though he doesn't really understand that yet :-).

Syrian Hammy
03-14-2014, 02:26 PM
Thank you everyone. I hope my aunt has realised her mistake and will not take on future pets until the kidsaare much older. His fate could of been a whole lot worse bless him. He's now happily snoozing in his Alaska with some veg for breakfast.

Puddle
03-18-2014, 12:36 PM
I took my hamster from an adoption centre because she was returned twice for biting. I knew even if I couldn't tame her if give her a great life so adopted her. She was trying to bite me constantly, even if I went near her bars she would strike out at them. Must have been treated awfully. Anyway over time I got her used to my hands near her cage (using treats aswell) and eventually she stopped snatching them and gently took them with great care not to touch my fingers. I bought a big guinea pig pen and filled it with stuff to play on/with and let her run in there every day with occasional strokes (soon stopped instantly turning round to strike at me) then moved onto letting her on the sofa with me and eventually I can pick her up with no fuss. Doesn't even batter an eye lid anymore even in her cage. Needless to say she gets spoilt and is a very happy hamster at last.

Syrian Hammy
03-22-2014, 11:50 AM
Despite Harvey's high levels of ketones he's still an active fella.

ANGELBABIES
03-22-2014, 12:43 PM
Well done for rescuing the little fellow and giving him a loving home. Looking at your recent pics - just proves love n patience brings the hammy around. Welcome to HC little man xx

CreamSyrian
03-22-2014, 12:56 PM
Oh, bless him. Is he diabetic? Just that usually high ketones are present in diabetic people/animals. At least he is active and looks happy :)

Syrian Hammy
03-22-2014, 01:01 PM
CreamSyrian, its a big possibility that he is. I'm so worried for hin, he's not had a great start. He's booked in on Monday to the vets. So fingers crossed we can get his condition under control. He's only 6 months too :(

CreamSyrian
03-22-2014, 02:00 PM
Oh no, poor boy :( I hope for the best at the vet visit. At least he is in good hands, so I'm positive that his condition will be controlled well and he will be taken great care of :)

ThePipsqueakery
03-22-2014, 05:25 PM
He's a cutie! I hope you manage to get his ketones under control and he lives a long happy life with you.

Syrian Hammy
03-23-2014, 06:17 AM
Thank you both. Here's hoping for a good outcome.

BrainGirl
03-23-2014, 07:25 AM
Good job giving this guy a better life, and good luck at the vets. If it's caught early enough is it possible to stop the progression of diabetes?

CreamSyrian
03-23-2014, 08:09 AM
Good job giving this guy a better life, and good luck at the vets. If it's caught early enough is it possible to stop the progression of diabetes?

Its much better for a ham to be diagnosed earlier rather than later. As long as the diabetes is controlled well, a hamster can still live a happy, healthy life. Of course, if it is caught later, enough time has allowed for the impacts of diabetes to progress.

Hekomi
03-24-2014, 07:43 AM
Good on you for rescuing him! We were in Petsmart on Saturday to pick up items for our newest ham, Java, and there was a family with two kids getting a hamster each. The boy was probably six, and the daughter was four. The manager was helping them get crittertrail (or whatever, the tiny colourful cages) for them, I didn't see her help with wheels supplementary for their two male LH syrians. At least she helped them get carefresh, but still. She was saying how they had to clean their tanks once a week and I piped up and said that my hamsters lived in an aquarium and since I spot cleaned I barely had to clean it once a month. She did not look very impressed.

I hope your little one doesn't have diabetes. <3 he's so very sweet.

BrainGirl
03-24-2014, 08:33 AM
Good on you for rescuing him! We were in Petsmart on Saturday to pick up items for our newest ham, Java, and there was a family with two kids getting a hamster each. The boy was probably six, and the daughter was four. The manager was helping them get crittertrail (or whatever, the tiny colourful cages) for them, I didn't see her help with wheels supplementary for their two male LH syrians. At least she helped them get carefresh, but still. She was saying how they had to clean their tanks once a week and I piped up and said that my hamsters lived in an aquarium and since I spot cleaned I barely had to clean it once a month. She did not look very impressed.

I hope your little one doesn't have diabetes. <3 he's so very sweet.

Good job Hekomi;)

DrKMcK
03-24-2014, 08:34 AM
Fingers crossed for a good result. But, even if he does have diabetes, it can be managed with help from the vet.

Syrian Hammy
03-24-2014, 01:36 PM
So Harvey had his vet trip today. There's not really much to tell. He wouldn't pee so they couldn't test his urine. I have to drop a urine sample of to get tested for glucose. The vet didn't seem overly concerned as he looked so well. In the meantime I'm to monitor his weight and bring him back if he loses any. We'll see what the urine shows. I did tell her his ketones were high but she said that's doesn't necessary mean diabetes. She didn't mention anything else it could be. I'll be happier when his wee is tested.

BrainGirl
03-24-2014, 02:21 PM
Well, at least it's not bad news! Hope he pees for you soon:)

ThePipsqueakery
03-25-2014, 04:56 AM
I'd be curious to know what the other causes could be that she is thinking about. As far as I am aware, in humans anyway, it's pretty much caused by diabetes, starvation, serious illness, metabolic disease, and some diets that intentionally cause ketonuria to lose weight. I wonder what else can cause it and what she thinks is doing it here. I'm sure she knows much more than I do though so these are just my musings and curiosity.

Syrian Hammy
03-26-2014, 08:51 AM
I will be asking what the other possible causes are when I take the urine sample in. Surely ketones aren't that high for no reason and there no way it was a fluke as I've been testing over the weekend.

Syrian Hammy
03-29-2014, 11:10 AM
A few more of Harvey.

BrainGirl
03-29-2014, 11:15 AM
Awww! In that second pictures his little pink paws go so well with the pink flowers on the bedspread!

ThePipsqueakery
04-04-2014, 08:47 PM
Any new updates on this little guy?

Syrian Hammy
04-22-2014, 12:46 PM
Any new updates on this little guy? Sorry I'm only seeing this now. I've yet to get his urine sample to the vets. He's very reluctant to pee but I will be getting him up tomorrow morning in hope that he'll finally do one. He's doing great tho. I haven't checked his ketones since the vet visit as I knew they'd still be high and I'd then only constantly worry! I'm beginning to build a bond with this little one so I hope whatever is going on its easily fixed. Some new photos.

ThePipsqueakery
04-23-2014, 06:56 PM
He's such a cutie! Please keep us updated whenever you feel like it. I check this thread pretty often to see how he is doing!

Syrian Hammy
05-04-2014, 01:56 PM
Harvey still refuses to give me a urine sample. Everytime I get him out he just doesn't want to go.. We'll keep trying but if there's no light luck within the next week, the vet will have to examine him further.

icklemunch
05-04-2014, 02:03 PM
Harvey is just sooo cute.

Be a good boy and do a wee for your mum!

DrKMcK
05-04-2014, 02:15 PM
I love his photos. He really is a sweet little hammy. :-)

Syrian Hammy
05-05-2014, 06:28 AM
I will be near the vets tomorrow so will try again in the morning. Thank you. He's a sweetheart. He'll now lick my hand when I put it in his cage. Hehe his tongue is tiny.