PDA

View Full Version : Squabbling - is it normal?

karmawitch
07-26-2008, 11:53 AM
On the whole, they are fine, they sleep together and seem ok. But whenever I've had them out of the cage and put them back in again, they seem to have a little squabble - is this normal?

souffle
07-26-2008, 12:03 PM
Dwarfs rely heavily on scent to keep the pair bond together. When you handle you should handle both together so the same scent is on both. Rub your hands in the bedding first. It is normal for them to tussle a bit but if the fighting becomes serious with screaming and bloodshed you need to separate them. If one seems more dominant it is best to put the submissive one back in the cage first. Scatter feed with food in different areas so they are kept busy foraging and bothe get a share. Good luck.

jayne
07-26-2008, 12:07 PM
I've not had pairs or groups of WW's but i'm sure they are like other dwarves and if so, they will have little squabbles.

You will probably find one is more dominant than the other, this will cause little arguments between them. Just make sure that the less dominant is getting food and water and keep an eye on them every day to check they haven't been having any major fallouts/fights.

Have you got two of everything like, 2 wheels, 2 houses/beds etc? Also, when you have them out, try to make sure you handle them both and possibly rub your hands in their bedding to get their scent on you.

Hope this helps a bit, i'm sure amore experienced dwarf owner will come on soon though and add to what i've said :wink: