PDA

View Full Version : Introducing Gimli and Gizmo!

Hanhanboban
03-02-2014, 05:00 PM
Here's my two new babies! They where purchased as Winter Whites but after doing some research we've discovered they're hybrid! We still love them all the same tho! They're very settled, already moving things around and making themselves at home.

The pictures aren't great as I've wanted to leave them be to settle in but here they are (:

Gizmo
http://i59.tinypic.com/aag9w4.jpg

Gimli
http://i57.tinypic.com/2zfjtqr.jpg

Both of them together
http://i59.tinypic.com/29c83nq.jpg

HollyHamster
03-02-2014, 06:47 PM
The picture of Gimli is kind of big. Its hard to see him.

Hanhanboban
03-03-2014, 03:17 AM
Oh dear I'll have to change that! Haha.

Gimli is very shy when it comes to humans so it's hard to get a good picture of him but I will try again soon (:

Hannah x

CreamSyrian
03-03-2014, 09:09 AM
They are so adorable :D Yes, they'll definitely be hybrids if from a pet store (and judging by their colour too). Welcome to HC, I see you're knew!

SinNyx
03-03-2014, 09:24 AM
Aw, how lovely are they!

Hanhanboban
03-07-2014, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the nice comments (:

Theirs more pics uploaded on another post if you'd like to check (:

Thanks for the welcome, and yeah I thought they where hybrids :L still love them just as much tho (:

Hannah x

Esmy
03-07-2014, 05:37 PM
They are both very cute Hanhan! What is a hybrid? Does it mean mix bread? Smaller breed hamsters sure are cute. I would love to hold one. I just didn't get them cause I am clumsy, so a fast, squirmy, small hamster would be trouble. lol

Colby and the Dwarfs
03-07-2014, 08:34 PM
They are both very cute Hanhan! What is a hybrid? Does it mean mix bread? Smaller breed hamsters sure are cute. I would love to hold one. I just didn't get them cause I am clumsy, so a fast, squirmy, small hamster would be trouble. lol

2 hamster species can interbreed, WW and Campbell's. Any petshop WW, Campbell's, or Bluberryham, or whatever, is 99.9999999 percent surely hybrid. They carry health problems etc., and should never be bred. I specialize in pure bred Campbell's, but soon there won't be any left:(

Esmy
03-07-2014, 08:53 PM
Ahh ok so mutts of the hamster world. Hybrids shouldn't breed? I'm confused if the majority are. I get the part about breeding out certain issues though.

Colby and the Dwarfs
03-07-2014, 08:58 PM
Ahh ok so mutts of the hamster world. Hybrids shouldn't breed? I'm confused if the majority are. I get the part about breeding out certain issues though.

Most are, but it's dirtying the lines. Think about it this way: most dogs are mix-breeds, but that doesn't mean you should breed them.

If everybody breeds these mixes, we won't have clean lines or even separate species, which would be bad for the hamster world!

Hybrids are wonderful pets though!

DrKMcK
03-07-2014, 09:05 PM
These little furballs are just lovely. I have 2 hybrids myself and I love them. Although, as Colby says, these little ones shouldn't be bred, the pure lines are really being bred out of existence. It's sort of like puppy mills, where they are just bred for money and not for the welfare of the individual species. Unfortunately, medical issues crop up with these little ones...diabetes, most notably. So, yes...mutts of the hamster world.

Hanhanboban
03-08-2014, 03:53 AM
We purchased them at the pet shop as winter whites but I don't think they're very knowledgeable with hybrids, they're still lovely pets tho but I understand the problems with health and inbreeding.

We're going to carry on getting hammys as pets and when we're more knowledgeable we're hopefully going to get some more and get some pure breeds to help carry on the breed like you say (:

Hannah x