PDA

View Full Version : Oddball and Gumball the Chickens, taken away.

Colby and the Dwarfs
03-02-2014, 11:00 AM
If I'm not supposed to post a memorial about another animal, remove this please mods;)

As some of you know, I have some chickens. I also have some sad news. Two of my young miniature hens, 2 years, were taken by a hawk. He got in through a hole and took Oddball, then came back and killed and took her half sister, Gumball.

Oddball had a brown head with a black body. Her mother is Snowball and her father is Coleball, my two best chickens. Her name is Oddball because her mother is white, father black, and she ended up brown and black! She was so silly, she really lived up to her name. She was Snowball's last chick, as Snowball is 11 now. She was BFFs with her half sister. They did everything together., and I'm sure they still will at the rainbow bridge.

Gumball was solid, jet black. Her father is Coleball, her mother is Eightball. She was the only chick in her litter. Her name was Gumball because when she hatched she was a jet black, perfect little puff ball. She looked just like a black gumball! She favored her cousin, Cannonball(sensing a theme here?) until her half sister hatched. They became best friends soon after. She was Eightball's last chick, as Eightball is now getting older.

The hawk took them from me, but it is illegal to kill hawks. There's nothing to do except close the hole and be thankful he didn't take anyone else. I'll miss you, little girls. Yet, at the same time, if you had to go, I'm glad you went together. Play well at the bridgexxx

starbug
03-02-2014, 11:18 AM
Oh, I'm so sorry. How horrible.

souffle
03-02-2014, 11:33 AM
I'm sorry to hear of your loss :(
Unfortunately that is nature and it is not the hawks fault as he was only looking to feed himself to survive.
The memorial board is open to any animal that you have lost xx
Play well at the bridge Oddball and Gumball xx

Colby and the Dwarfs
03-02-2014, 01:45 PM
I'm sorry to hear of your loss :(
Unfortunately that is nature and it is not the hawks fault as he was only looking to feed himself to survive.
The memorial board is open to any animal that you have lost xx
Play well at the bridge Oddball and Gumball xx

Yes, I suppose I understand that. I just wish it wasn't mine. I know that's selfish, but it's the sad truth. And thank you both. This is Gumball.

Colby and the Dwarfs
03-02-2014, 01:46 PM
And Oddball.

Nancy's Hamsters
03-02-2014, 03:00 PM
So sorry for your loss. Though it was only nature the loss still hurts. Oddball and Gumball have fun at the Bridge.
Hugs to you during this hard time

racinghamster
03-03-2014, 06:06 AM
Really sad to hear your birds were taken this way Colby, it always comes as a shock when things like this happen. The best precautions you can take against predatory species is to totally secure your area. Chickens and poultry love to roam and it`s a shame they have to be cooped in by wire, but if it means keeping the hawks and other predators out, then it`s worth doing.

Hawks usually return the scene if they have caught and killed there before, so keep a close eye out and let it know you are watching. Shout, wave your hands, look menacing! That`s me when I`m chasing off my neighbourhood sparrow hawk when it flies in looking to pick off my sparrows from the bird feeders!

Rest in peace Oddball & Gumball. x

Colby and the Dwarfs
03-03-2014, 06:18 AM
I wasn't there when it happened, my grandfather was. When he saw the hawk, he ran up to the barn and shooed it off, but it was too late. I remember one year, I had a hen with eight chicks. The hawks got all but one. It's terrible, you can't just keep your chickens cooped up all the time, that'd be no way to live. But you can't let them outside to eat and play without the worry that when you turn your back a possum/hawk/bobcat will get them. We have numerous traps out, but they mostly catch the neighbour's cats:/

My selfish human mind puts my animals much higher than the wild creatures that hunt them, even though I know that hawk needed food, I wish he would have gotten something, anything else besides a beloved pet.

I'll miss my little girls, but I hope that, at least, the hawk that took my babies was a mother hoping to feed babies or something like that:(

JBH316
03-03-2014, 01:02 PM
Oh that is awful :( I'm so sorry :(

We live right in the centre of a city and my friend lost 3 of her rabbits to foxes. Like you say, you can't keep them cooped up but it's an awful thing to happen.

icklemunch
03-03-2014, 01:47 PM
Oh no i am so so sorry.

I too would feel like you. Its a horrible thing to have to go through. Nature sometimes is a horrid thing.

I once saw a swan kill 3 geese and it was horrible and nothing i could do. I am a huge animal lover but at the time wanted to throttle it!

Hope your Okay.

Sleep tight Oddball and Gumball x

HollyHamster
03-03-2014, 04:06 PM
Whoops. Double post. Sorry, computer was acting up.

HollyHamster
03-03-2014, 04:12 PM
Considering that its spring, the hawk might have chicks in a nest somewhere and was looking to feed them. So, your loss is now the benefit of a new generation of hawks. Not much consolation, I know, but at least they are part of the Great Circle of Life now.

Colby and the Dwarfs
03-03-2014, 04:32 PM
Considering that its spring, the hawk might have chicks in a nest somewhere and was looking to feed them. So, your loss is now the benefit of a new generation of hawks. Not much consolation, I know, but at least they are part of the Great Circle of Life now.

Holly, I sincerely hope you are right. It's so nice to have people who understand. I told a friend recently, and, trying to help, she said, "Well, don't you have a few litters a year? Just keep two of those!".

fluffydd
03-04-2014, 01:41 PM
I'm so sorry that your girls left you like that. Even though it is nature at work it's still a really sad thing to happen xx

The Hamster's family
03-04-2014, 01:58 PM
I'm very sorry for your losses... But just like you said, they are already having fun as we speak... They will keep each other company... Now you, I hope your heart will heal up soon... It's never easy having to separate from one of our pet, needless to say it's harder when it's two. But soon enough, the memories of them will make you smile again... Many hugs to you xxx

Play well at the Bridge, lovely ones... Blow a kiss to that special human you both left behind...

Annie xx