PDA

View Full Version : How much food?

BrainGirl
02-11-2014, 09:44 AM
I know I'm guilty of erring on the side of caution (way on the side of caution) and overfeeding my furkids. With the chinchillas it's not so bad because they don't have food stores and I can see how much they have left just by looking in their bowls. The Syrians do hide their food but I've got the amounts just about right and there's not too much wastage at cleanout time. Now I have a dwarf and I fear she's got enough food in her tunnels to survive Armageddon!

I give her a small sprinkling of food each day but it's about a tablespoon and that's probably too much, I'm just not sure and I don't want to give her too little! She's just so excited to see the food and gather it up. I also gave her a sprig of millet and she's stripped it already! She can't possibly have eaten it all so I figure there's a mountain of it somewhere hidden away. Should I skip feedings on some days to give her a chance to use it up? Give her less each day?

I'm going to need a lot more experience with dwarfies I think to be able to make the call myself so I'm hoping someone here can tell me up front!

evel_lin
02-11-2014, 01:35 PM
I give barely a teaspoon a day or a tablespoon every 3 days to my little hamsters. I figured they get treats/fresh food nearly every day so they'll be fine!

BrainGirl
02-11-2014, 08:17 PM
Thank-you! I guess I have been overdoing it somewhat:oops: I'll just have to rein in my natural tendencies to give too many treats next;)

evel_lin
02-11-2014, 11:55 PM
Hehe I give mine treats most days. Last night the smalls had some buckwheat and some sort of dried corn thing. The syrians had buckwheat and a mini bonio :)