PDA

View Full Version : How do I know if they are fighting?

amy104
07-14-2008, 07:20 AM
Last night when I fed my trio, I noticed that pickle has a scab on his back. Its hardly noticeable and just looked like he had a patch of really dark fur. I've never seen my robos fighting and most certainly never heard them. I've checked on him regularly and all three are snuggled up as usual. Do you think he just caught himself on something? They are in at least a 2ft glass tank with two shelves. They have ladders but I've noticed that sometimes they don't use the one on the lower level.

Tammy22
07-14-2008, 07:27 AM
Hi Amy,

welcome to the forum :D

Even when Roborovskis are fighting and attacking each other, they will often still cuddle up to sleep! so this does not mean they are all getting on.

Roborovskis dont usually do well in odd numbers as they tend to always leave one out, or one can even get bullied by the other two.

You really need to watch them very carefully during the hours when they are active - you need to watch for one being put on his back, or chased, bitten around the back area or even one being less active than the others, or hiding all of the time etc.

Some fighting is normal, and is completely fine, just as long as there is no blood being drawn - squeeking is also normal, but only occasionaly - if any of them start squeeking all the time, or everytime one of the others goes near them then you might need to separate them.

Once blood has been drawn then it is usually time to separate them, but as it looks like a scar, then it was probably done a while ago, so it doesnt look as if they have been fighting recently.

Just keep very close eye on them and be prepared with another (or more) spare cage - just incase :wink:

Hope this helps you.

Tammy x

amy104
07-14-2008, 07:37 AM
Thanks Tammy. I have no prob seperating if necessary. My house/garden is already full up of glass tanks, hutches and runs one more wont hurt. Not a fan on lone animals so will keep an eye on him, I don't want to seperate if it isn't needed.

Tammy22
07-14-2008, 07:40 AM
Yes,

i completely understand - i hate seeing Robos on their own - and i often do reintroduction s even if they do have to be split up - i always like to give them a second chance to live with another Robo.

So just let me know if you do have to separate them and i can help you to reintroduce them to see if they can live together at a later date.

How old are they?

Tammy x

amy104
07-14-2008, 07:57 AM
I've had them since good Friday so they are still fairly young.

I will keep you posted. Thank you. These are my first robos but I presume if re-introduction is necessary the same applies as with my buns, i.e neutral territory, keeping them in close proximity so they can see and smell each other that sort of stuff?

Tammy22
07-14-2008, 08:03 AM
Most Robos will start fighting and squabbling at around 3 or 4 months old as this is the time they start to mature, so they will probably be trying to establish a pecking order.

Yes, a reintroduction is usually just introducing them on neutral territory with nothing except food and water - so that they gradually get used to each other, without having anything to fight over.

Tammy x

amy104
07-14-2008, 08:15 AM
Thanks. I'll moitor them closely.