PDA

View Full Version : Tips for Making a Cage!

kittykay
02-03-2014, 10:13 AM
Hey guys! I just joined this forum and have been planning out a cage I want to make for my two hammies. I have looked through some of the other cages people have made and they look amazing!! In my head, I want it to have two sections, one on top of the other (one for April and one for Tina) and also a little space below to store things.

I saw another post where someone used melamine for the frame and then masonite with holes for ventilation. This looked like it worked well so I think I will try this route when I begin!

I am a relatively new hamster owner, so I wanted to see if you guys had any tips or things I need to lookout for when making a cage from scratch. I apologize if this has been asked over and over #-o

The two things I was mostly thinking about are that it is ventilated well and that they have enough room. I also saw in the same other post that LED strips were installed for light, which looked like a good idea.

Here is a picture of their current set up! I just used lids from storage tubs as floors and set up their pen around it. Hopefully this is enough space until I can make them a new and improved cage! (I got a new wheel instead of the wired one since I took this picture! I don't want April's little feet to get hurt!)