PDA

View Full Version : Coco

blandam
02-02-2014, 08:31 AM
We have just lost our little Coco this morning. She was 18 months old and up to this week was a whirling bundle of energy. She started to be not her usual self on Wednesday morning. She was lethargic. She didn't want to be in her bed and had moved to another part of her cage. I put some bedding where she had chosen & she started sleeping there. To keep her warm I put a warm beanbag next to where she was sleeping (not inside the cage ). She was eating and drinking. She seemed to pick up a couple of times & then I thought she was getting on the right side of things. She moved from her resting place and died. Blood came out of her mouth when she died. We have had 5 hamsters and have never seen this before. Does anyone know what could have been the cause. We have another hamster who is running and well. She didn't have any signs of having a cold or wet tail. I was conscious of her age and didn't want to take her out in the cold to the vets and had wondered if it was just her time and to keep her comfortable. I am really upset as I have lost my little pal and trying to come to terms. I keep thinking is it something I have or haven't done or was there nothing I could to change the outcome. I really thought and hoped she was going to make it. She had a good life and came out of her home every single night. Her sister cookie will be lost without her when she wakes up tonight (she lives in a separate cage as they are Syrians )

KWsHamstery
02-02-2014, 08:58 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. :(
Did she show any other notable symptoms besides lethargy and the blood in her mouth after death?
With the information given it is nearly impossible for us to give a correct and complete assessment. We want to help you as best we can, I know recalling it is probably hard but did you notice anything else? Swelling of the abdomen, weight loss, not running on her wheel?
I'm sure there was probably nothing that could've been done anyway. Hamsters are a prey animal so naturally when they are sick and wounded they hide the symptoms as a protection mechanism. So by the time try show symptoms it is often too late.
Again, so sorry for your loss, I'm sure you and cookie will get through this together. :)

BrainGirl
02-02-2014, 09:02 AM
I've no idea what happened but I just want to say that I'm very sorry for your loss x

Pompompoms
02-02-2014, 10:22 AM
As far as what took Coco to the bridge, it would be impossible to tell you exactly. Many hams when passing will have fluid come from the mouth, sometimes blood, often more clear as the stomach will empty. Try not to focus so much on what you will likely not be able to know for sure, but do take comfort in that you did not let her down at all.
Sometimes hams become sick before we would hope it is there time. There is often no way of knowing, and nothing to be done. I would clean all of Coco's things, and be extra vigilant with hand cleaning when interacting with the other hams over the next few days just in case. It really isn't likely to be an infection, but it's always better to er on the side of caution with these things.

I am sorry for your loss blandam, it sounds like Coco lived a life well loved and cared for which is what all hams would wish for. Play well little Coco xx

SinNyx
02-02-2014, 10:24 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss..what a sweet sounding girl, I am sorry for you to lose her that way...play well at the bridge little girl x

Truffle
02-02-2014, 10:28 AM
I am very sorry... Coco sounded like a charming character x

blandam
02-02-2014, 02:43 PM
Thank you for your lovely messages.
Coco didn't have any noticeable lumps. Her tummy wasn't swollen. She didn't have a runny nose, or cough or any wheezing. She became off colour mid week. She became slow moving around and wanted to sleep and rest. She was eating but her appetite was not as much. We were giving her carrots and a little bit of apple to keep her hydrated.She came out a lot less and had a little mooch around but was a lot slower. I think she had lost weight but other members of my family weren't so sure. Her breathing was visible and I wondered if we could see her breathing as she had lost weight over the last couple of days.

Something we have noticed over her life was when she had a mad run about she would sometimes go flat on the floor which none of our other hammies have ever done. She would be up and off again after a few minutes. We had put it down to her cooling herself down but I now wonder if she needed her heart rest.

She was a definite little character. She would come running up to you and try to climb up our legs, chase us round the kitchen. If we called her name then she would come to us & stop the mischief she was getting upto.

I keep thinking was there something we did or didn't do. If it was some kind of infection would antibiotics have cured it or was it her age. I wondered if she had got cold but she showed no signs.
Cookie (touch wood ) seems ok so if it had been some kind of infection then would she not have got it.
Sorry for rambling. We had taken 3 hamsters in at a similar time as they were in the local pet shop & we hated the thought of them not having a home. We lost Fudge one of the 3 in November and now Coco. There are all a similar age so maybe that's why 2 of them have gone to Rainbow Bridge at similar times. xx

ANGELBABIES
02-02-2014, 02:51 PM
Please dont beat yourself Blandam. From what you have just said it could be heart-related, and finally this is what must have finally given in. Please take comfort in the fact that little Coco passed on to the rainbow bridge in the comfort of her home surrounded by your love and presence. Coco would never want you to blame yourself. Run free little girl. xx

blandam
02-02-2014, 03:38 PM
thank you, you are right. 18 months seems such a short length of time. we tried to keep her going but it was time for her to move on xx

souffle
02-03-2014, 05:36 AM
I am so sorry for your loss. Coco was obviously much loved.
Sometimes we never know why things happen and need to just accept. What will be will be and though we always question ourselves as to what if I had done such and such that is only natural. It is part of grief to question but it never gets us an answer. Move those feelings aside and let the happy memories replace them.
Sometimes an organ is just plain 'worn out' doesn't work well and then the hamster is ready to move on. This sounds like what happened and Coco slowly wound down till she stepped over.
Play well at the bridge Coco x

Colby and the Dwarfs
02-03-2014, 08:10 AM
Rest in peace, little one.
Hamster's lives are so short:(

blandam
02-03-2014, 08:11 AM
She will be missed a lot you wouldn't think such little things have such a big effect on us all. I suppose its apart of grief soufflé and we couldn't have done more for her sadly. She was so feisty alongside comical, we thought we would have her longer than 18 months but not meant to be. Thank you for all your lovely comments she will be greatly missed by us all. Have lots of fun Coco getting up to mischief xx

The Hamster's family
02-07-2014, 11:12 AM
Very sorry your little one left you... She was cared for and loved that not all little babies can experience this... So be blessed for taking care of her... Many hugs to you...

Run free, precious one... Send a kiss to your mommy to show you are OK when you can...

Annie xx

DrKMcK
02-07-2014, 11:23 AM
I am so sorry you lost Coco blandem. I've just been through the loss of one of my own hammies and it is so sad to lose them. But mine was 25 months old and I was expecting it. One thing to keep in mind is that Coco had a good life and was loved. Any hamster who gets to chase her humans around is a happy hamster. You are so very right about how attached we become to these little lives. It will take time. Play well at the Bridge Coco :-(

blandam
02-08-2014, 04:42 AM
Thank you The Hamsters family & DrKMcK. I am so sorry to hear about your little one DrKMcK. I knowI shouldn't but I do keeping going through what could have happened. (We lost her big sister Fudge -who was 20 months in November. We think it was something to do with her heart as we found her lying on the floor of her cage it looked like she was on her way to get some food. it looked like we got there & it had only just happened. Her eyes were still open so my hubby thinks it must have been very quick for her ) Was just coming to terms with Fudge & then coco.
I keep wondering if we did something wrong or missed something.

We got up on the Tuesday morning & she was sitting on the ledge just outside the entrance of her bed. She went back to bed but got up at 5pm which is early these days for her. She was pretty restless but lethargic. It looked like she was 'panting' She came out for a while. She wouldn't go back into her bed so I put some bedding where she had moved to. I put a wheat bag on top of her cage just above her & covered that half of the cage to keep her warm. I noticed she was breathing heavily (her body at times seemed larger if that makes any sense ). She was eating but didn't seem keen on drinking. So gave her apple & fresh carrot to keep her hydrated. She came out of her cage & went to her favourite place in a bed she had made behind the settee. The next day she seemed to perk up & came out & was running round the kitchen, climbing in shoes (yep she loved shoes ) but at a lot slower pace than her normal 100 miles an hour. She had a big drink & I thought she was getting better. She then went downhill & just wanted to sleep in the spot just outside her bed (all this time she would not get back in her bed so have been keeping her warm by constantly keeping the wheat bag & blanket above her ) I have always sworn by when you sleep you sleep yourself better & she did perk up ). She was cranky at times & even went to have a little warning bite at times. On Saturday night she wasn't good. She didn't want to move from her resting place & she was heavy breathing. On the Sunday morning she got up & went to the bottom of her cage & went. Blood came out of her nose & mouth. We managed to pick her up as it was happening so wasn't alone. She had been wobbly at times. She hadn't had a runny nose or eyes. She hadn't been sniffling. Her eyes did go dull & appeared sunken and sometimes were closed. She didn't have a wet tail. I know in the past she when she has had a mad one she literally would plonk herself down & rest so not sure if it was heart related. She was 18 months old & I have been told different things that is about the age they leave but others say its not old. Her older sister Cookie hasn't (touch wood ) been off colour so don't think it was anything catchy & none of us have had colds. I think we did everything for her but I keep wondering. I think if I can have an idea of what it was & know there was nothing different we could do I would feel a little better. I always worry did she suffer at the end. We didn't take her to the vets as with her age would they have been able to change the outcome plus it was cold outside & I didnt want to put stress on her at her age.