PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Albert, I'm so sorry

celmoy
01-23-2014, 07:04 AM
Sorry for the long post everyone, but I need to talk a little.

Today my lovely ferret, Albert, was scheduled for an investigative operation for a lump in his abdomen. The vet thought it might be a soft tumour or trapped hairball, but when they started the operation they found a large malignant tumour on his lymph node. They gave us two choices: start chemotherapy and at best delay the tumour, or let him quietly slip away under anaesthetic.

This is the first time the death of a pet has ever fallen to me for the final say and I felt like there was no real choice but to let him go, I didn't want him to live the rest of his days out ill due to chemo which would at best delay the inevitable.

Because he was in the operating theatre, no one except the vet could be there when he passed for which I feel worst of all.

Goodbye Albert, I hope you understand the choice I had to make and that you were very much loved and will be missed. You had the sweetest nature and charmed everyone who met you.

chinesehammy
01-23-2014, 07:18 AM
Aww, I'm so sorry, pet passings are always hard but you have made the right decision and you know he won't be suffering anymore. Run free little one. x

Munchalot
01-23-2014, 07:25 AM
I'm so sorry you lost your baby boy. :( I believe you made the right choice, and letting him peacefully fall asleep, where he can feel no pain, is a decision made out of love.

Sleep tight Albert, you were very much adored and will be missed. xx

Wexland
01-23-2014, 07:27 AM
Oh bless you, RIP little one x

Truffle
01-23-2014, 07:27 AM
I am very sorry, it is alway hard when a loved pets passes on. I remember one of my mice (Cheeky) was put down without me being there and it is something that I will alway regret though I do think that it was the right desion and put a end to her suffering.

SoapyVP
01-23-2014, 07:42 AM
How awful for you. Poor little Albert. RIP little one.

racinghamster
01-23-2014, 09:00 AM
Condolences celmoy, really sad to hear you had to make that choice. But rest assured, you made the right choice. Chemotherapy can be given to animals, but I know in human patients it`s a toxic drug, so given that animals can`t speak, we can never know what they are going through, so it`s better to go with the feeling that he didn`t suffer. Sleep soundly Albert. x

The Hamster's family
01-23-2014, 09:04 AM
I'm so sorry for you... I think souls do not need the proximity of the counscious state to communicate... I think he knows he was loved and felt loved when he was with you... THAT he knows for sure ! And that's more than many pets will get... Many hugs to you...

Run free, precious one... Go enjoy a life without pain and limitations...

Annie xx

chulasweetchica
01-23-2014, 10:25 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss. RIP Albert.

DrKMcK
01-23-2014, 11:12 AM
Hello Celmoy. I am so sorry you've lost Albert. I adore ferrets. They are beautiful, affectionate and wildly entertaining little furries. I know his death has left a huge hole in your heart and it will take time for you to deal with this loss. I truly believe this was the best thing you could do for your friend. My mother died of cancer and before that she went through chemotherapy. It is very hard for humans to go through this treatment, but we know what's happening and why we are doing it. An animal isn't asked what they want and they wouldn't understand what's happening. He had a good life with you and I believe you let him have a good death too. When we choose to allow a pet to go to the bridge it should be because we want what is best for them, not us. You did that. You let him go because you loved him and you gave him a real gift in not allowing him to end his life with pain. That's love and Albert would understand. Play well and run in good health at the Bridge Albert. :-(

celmoy
01-23-2014, 03:33 PM
Thank you all so much.

I was a little bit hysterical when I wrote the first post... It was a shock going from a ferret who even the vet thought was happy and healthy, the overnight a ferret who needed surgery and then within just a few hours having to make the final decision :(

Reading all your kind words means so much to me, and you've all helped me feel sure I made the best choice (recommended by the vet and my parents too...) Thank you all again, so much

Sanctuary
01-24-2014, 12:43 AM
So sorry you had to lose a friend, I agree you did the right decision, it was made selflessly and was the best thing for him <3 xxx

souffle
01-24-2014, 06:06 AM
I am so sorry for you loss. If you knew in your heart it was time to let go as you did then you gave him the greatest gift of all in peaceful rest.
Play well at the bridge Albert x

Pompompoms
01-30-2014, 11:00 AM
You most definitely made the right choice for him, and the least selfish choice too. You looked after him in passing as well as you did in life. Play well little Albert xx