PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Dwarf Sandbath

sarahdal
07-06-2008, 03:48 AM
I picked up a sandbath and some Charlie Chinchilla sand yesterday to see what my two chinese dwarfs would make of it - toilet or sandbath? Well, nothing yet except some very cute footprints! The more outgoing hamster, Ben, had a good sniff in it and a bit of a dig so now I'm wondering if I should encourage use as a toilet, or just let them use it as a sandbath if they feel like it? What are everyone's experiences of dwarfs and sandbaths?

07-06-2008, 04:02 AM
I picked up a sandbath and some Charlie Chinchilla sand yesterday to see what my two chinese dwarfs would make of it - toilet or sandbath? Well, nothing yet except some very cute footprints! The more outgoing hamster, Ben, had a good sniff in it and a bit of a dig so now I'm wondering if I should encourage use as a toilet, or just let them use it as a sandbath if they feel like it? What are everyone's experiences of dwarfs and sandbaths?

I'd just leave it in there and let them decide what to do with it. Chinese really like digging so they may decide its a digging pit!

Btw, Chinese aren't actually a dwarf species. :)

sarahdal
07-06-2008, 04:05 AM
Now you remind me, I'm sure I read that they were separate to dwarf species but I get confused by P@H calling them Chinese Dwarfs. Should I just call them Chinese hamsters?

07-06-2008, 04:44 AM
Now you remind me, I'm sure I read that they were separate to dwarf species but I get confused by P@H calling them Chinese Dwarfs. Should I just call them Chinese hamsters?

P@H, grrrr!!! Yes, I'd just call them Chinese. One of the forum members "Foreverhamsters" is a Chinese breeder so he's a good person to ask if you need any advice. :)

jayne
07-06-2008, 02:54 PM
From the experience i had with my two chinese, they never used their sand for anything other than kicking it out or digging in it. They never rolled in it or used it as a toilet :roll: In fact, correct me if i'm wrong, but i dont think chinese seem to use it as a bath as such, i.e roll in it like ww's etc
You can still keep it in their cage anyways, they do like digging in it and yours may use it as a toilet one day :D

Bunsey
07-07-2008, 07:37 AM
i tried my 2 chinese with them and they never did anything either apart from walk about in it a bit. one of them burried some food in there, but seen as she has 2 separate food stash huts anyway, another stash is getting a bit ridiculous!

sarahdal
08-01-2008, 09:24 AM
I forgot to tell you all - they are using the sandbath as a toilet!