PDA

View Full Version : Hello!!

Karen
09-12-2005, 10:28 AM
hi there! Well I'm Karen, I'm 21 from Scotland all my animals are listed in my signature! Hope to speak to you at some point!

babyboos
09-12-2005, 10:58 AM
Great to see you joined us - I hope you learn lots and make some lovely friends like me :? :wink: You are lucky to be near a city with a Vet School - Edinburgh University has a Small Animal Practice out at Roslin, Midlothian (near where I was born :oops: ) though not in the centre :roll: :twisted:

Small Animal Hospital

Phone: 0131 650 7650 Fax: 0131 650 7652

Address: Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies, The University of Edinburgh, Hospital for Small Animals, Easter Bush Veterinary Centre, Roslin

Midlothian, EH25 9RG

Have you used them before for your little ones? Or do you know another good vet? I am considering putting together a good vets guide for the benefit of everyone here at Hamster Central

SnuggleHam
09-12-2005, 12:51 PM
Hello Karen and Welcome to the Forum, we are glad to have you with us! Icon/Avatar's can be found in your profile under gallery or esle you can upload your own!

Karen
09-13-2005, 09:52 AM
hi babyboos, I joined this website through your recommendation! I'm the one who is adopting the little white longhaired boy!!

I live in Midlothian but I've never used the small animal clinic at the Bush, I've only used the large animal one for my horses! It's a fab place!

And I work for the University of Edinburgh but never used the Dick Vet either. I go to a great vet who deals with all my animals and is really helpful. I've never had to use the vets for my hammies yet - touch wood- but with my other animals they are great!

babyboos
09-13-2005, 02:09 PM
I did kind of guess :oops: Do you use Megazorb for your horses? He is a right wee handful tonight but so fluffy you have to forgive him :? I got a new camera on eBay so hopefully lots of photograph tomorrow night. for those who don't know I was photographing a Black Eyed Cream Baby and she jumped, I grabbed her and let the camera fall as I was over the bed but it glanced off the edge and plummeted to the floor, bumping the zoom lens. Can't be repaired apparently which I think is dreadful, it doesn't look that bad, but we live in such a throw away society now.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/babyboos/HPIM0960.jpg

His hair is really so much longer than in this picture taken a week ago. The little Black White Bellied Short Haired boy in the foreground is still looking for a new home if anyone knows someone after an unusual hamster.

pophammy
09-13-2005, 02:33 PM
Hi guys & welcome Karen & furry friends. I was born in Simpson's in Edinburgh and raised in Bonnyrigg!!!! Live in Yorkshire now though. I did Zoology at St Andrews and worked in the Bush a bit in the summer in my student days! Long time ago. Now I have Pophammy junior who loves hams too and does most of the posting

Babyboos I was looking at the pic of your beautiful babes and wondered if you use straw as a bedding? We did a long while ago but then got paranoid about mites, allergies etc but it seems a nice natural bedding. What do you think?

PJ
09-13-2005, 02:41 PM
I give my hams medow hay or readigrass for nesting and its also their in bed snack I'll bring some with me to the next show if you want pop and you can try it. I've only had one problem with hay in the past and that was from some that was given to me by a friend who gave me some when her bunny passed away 2 of my hams picked up mites and had to have ivo injections but since my hay/grass has been stored indoors I've had no problems and I check my guys regularly.

babyboos
09-13-2005, 03:04 PM
I am also a Simpson's baby :oops:

It is a new meadow grass my dad has on the farm, really lovely and soft and warm. It is so cute to watch them nibble on the stalks :oops: It looks quite yellow in the picture but a nice shade of dried grass really. Readigrass is similiar but this is much fresher and completely organic :wink: I hadn't used hay for hamsters for quite sometime before this summer but so far seems very good.

Karen
09-13-2005, 11:38 PM
Well I'm not a Simpsons baby! :( I was born in the Eastern, but I was raised and still live in Bonnyrigg!!!!

No I never used megasorb for the horses, we used to just use hay but now we use shavings on a rubber matting, a lot easier to deal with and it's great if the horses have allergies - and people allergies too! I'm alleric to everything from deoderant sprays to animals, and hay and sawdust the lot! But I still have my animals!

He is such a cutie!!! Can't wait to meet him!

pophammy
09-14-2005, 05:43 AM
Never Karen. Wot a small world. My mum & dad, sister and most of my family live in and around Bonnyrigg. Did you go to Lasswade High? I did!

hamster _hayley
09-14-2005, 08:55 AM
Hiya Karen! And welcome to the Forum!

babyboos
09-14-2005, 08:58 AM
Shame you can't come up to the Hamster Show in Edinburgh Pophammy :cry: We would love to see you :lol:

Karen
09-14-2005, 09:00 AM
hey Pophammy yeah i went to Lasswade high too!! What a small world indeed!

babyboos
09-14-2005, 09:05 AM
You can get Megazorb in Dalkeith and it only costs £4.50 per 18kg bag for 30 bags on a pallet if that is of any interest to you. It is designed as horse bedding primarily but I thoroughly recommend it for all animals.

Karen
09-14-2005, 09:07 AM
is that from Millers of Dalkieth or the Drum Farm Feeds? I will definatly check it out and speak to my yard owner to see what she says as well may even invest in some for my lot!

babyboos
09-14-2005, 09:12 AM
Millers - Callum arranges the bulk discounts if she asks for him.

I should be on commission - sadly I am not I just really like the stuff.

If she does go for it you can use it for all the pets you have, guinea pigs, rabbits etc too. And as an allergy sufferer it may be better for you than shavings I have heard good reports from other allergy sufferers using it.

Karen
09-14-2005, 11:39 PM
So is that the millers at Fordel? I've never really used that shop tend to buy a lot of my horsey stuff through mail order and at shows! Will definatly go try megazorb for my animals. At the moment i buy the large bale of wood shavings from pets at home at £8 a bale and it only lasts me a week with all the cages i've got!!

babyboos
09-15-2005, 06:03 AM
Check out the Cage litter/bedding (http://www.candacebell.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=644) topic for more information. I get mine from the DALKEITH STORE - 6 North Wynd - Tel 0131 660 3921. They don't stock it at Fordel Services.

sarah
10-07-2005, 02:03 PM
Hi there Karen and welcome to the forum :)

Congratulations on getting such an unusual beautiful hamster. :D He is so gorgeous - you must post some more pics of him!!

I think i met him on his way to you as i was collecting a new hamster from babyboos today. Is that right babyboos? Was he the white hamster that had the yellow gene?

babyboos
10-12-2005, 02:05 PM
Similar, the little guy you met was going to Caz another HC member. Same Dad different Mum. Karen has the most absolutely gorgeous adorable Longhaired Yellow Dominant Spot White Bellied hamster. I would love to see a picture of how he is developing.