PDA

View Full Version : Strange Fancy Short Haired Syrian

Nancy's Hamsters
12-23-2013, 11:17 PM
I decided to check out the local Pet Store to see if I could help a Hamster in need have a much Merrier Christmas then sitting in their horrible cage set ups of torcher.

I looked at the Syrians and had to blink and look twice as sitting in the corner of their huge plastic Syrian cage sat a tiny little Hamster. She actually leaped up into my hand begging to be taken away.

I checked her out and she had a few old bite wounds but could see nothing serious or life threatening so she was carried in my hand along with a very pregnant BEC Syrian to the checkout counter.

The gal at the cash register rang this little fur ball up as a Short haired fancy hamster but she isn't that at all.

Meet Little Miss Tinsel a heavy Winter White Hybrid who some how managed to stay alive in a cage full of about 30 various age Syrian MALES. She is so so sweet and loved to give me a cuddle.

When we got home and I prepared her cage she fell asleep in my hand.
Here she is cuddling in my hand
Smiling for all you HC folks
Having a little stroll on the chair showing off her very light ticking on her back
and after all this excitement falling asleep in my hands :D

I have another WW pet in the house, my Christmas Present from me to me LOL I still can't believe the store actually put a WW in with the Syrians.

Char
12-24-2013, 01:24 AM
Wow how could they make that mistake. Thank god you took her in

souffle
12-24-2013, 01:36 AM
She is lovely :)
It isn't unusual in Europe to see tanks in pet stores with mixed species of baby hamsters in them I have noticed. They all seem to sleep together in a big furry pile none the wiser! I expect that would change should they be left together too long!

Nancy's Hamsters
12-24-2013, 03:02 AM
Yes IF she had been in with babies that would have been better, but she was in with adult Syrians who were so bit up from fights it was sad. Tinsels girl part was a bit bloody but she has cleaned herself and looks loads better then when she first arrived.

ChocolateCream81
12-24-2013, 03:10 AM
It always makes me so happy to hear these stories. I know that advert says -pets aren't just for christmas, they are for life-when i hear someone getting a new pet on this forum i know they are in the best hands poasible:)

basilthehammy
12-24-2013, 06:32 AM
WOW bless her little heart. Enjoy her!

BrainGirl
12-24-2013, 08:03 AM
That's amazing! Congratulations on recognizing her and taking her in. You're both going to have a very merry Christmas, and beyond :)

The Hamster's family
12-24-2013, 08:55 AM
Good you saved her Life !!!! She will be (and already is) gratefull and loyal...

Welcome to HamsterCentral, sweet girl !!!

Nush
12-27-2013, 07:19 AM
Aw Miss Tinsel looks like a very cute chubster:D

She's very lucky to have you.

hamsterhelper
12-27-2013, 07:51 AM
OMG too cute! :)

racinghamster
12-27-2013, 08:22 AM
She`s a beautiful white hamster but she looks rather lethargic in those images, is she okay? Poor thing. Why on earth was she in a tank with adult Syrians? :confused: I think I`d be having a word or two with the store manager.

Ilovehamsters
12-27-2013, 08:29 AM
Awwww so cute! Glad you saved her life! :D Xx

SyrianMomma7
12-27-2013, 08:50 AM
Wow, she is like a WW head on a syrian body....
But her face is so obviously a WW, so sweet, yet strange.
That poor angel, I will sleep better at night knowing people like you, always willing to save a fur baby in need, are around.
x SM7

Nancy's Hamsters
12-27-2013, 02:24 PM
She`s a beautiful white hamster but she looks rather lethargic in those images, is she okay? Poor thing. Why on earth was she in a tank with adult Syrians? :confused: I think I`d be having a word or two with the store manager.

RH she was for probably the first time able to stop and relax and not have to run from big Syrian teeth and attacks. She is doing fine in herself now she can enjoy a cage all her own. Since they Normally have a separate bin for WW Hybrids she may be pregnant so she is on a watch and pregnant diet right now.

She is also FAT which equals Lazy because she had no wheel to enjoy at the store. She is active at night currently is learning to run on a wheel(guessing she never had one before by her actions) and probably for the first time in her life eating foods that are good for her.

Those pictures were taken as i removed her from her paper box carrier and into her own cage so she was exhausted from how she had to live in a cage full of Male Syrians who wanted to hurt her.

I'll get new photos of her up soon.

Oh as for the store manager she was who sold me her and she doesn't even know the difference in Hamster Species. I have wrote to the Corp Store office but they informed me this was a Franchise store and they could not do much about the situation at all.

hamsterhelper
12-27-2013, 07:05 PM
Could she of gotten pregnant from a male syrian? Or would that just not happen? :)

Nancy's Hamsters
12-27-2013, 11:19 PM
No Syrians can not interbreed with WW or any dwarf for that matter but the males could have attempted to mate her and why she had a blood discharge at first. However she could have been with other dwarf Hamster of her own kind before being dumped in the Syrian bin so why the diet as if she is possibly pregnant.

racinghamster
12-28-2013, 09:32 AM
I`m glad to hear she`s doing better, thank goodness you got her out of there. :) A Franchise is a business who buy into a company. Much like Specsavers in the UK. They have branches all over, but they are run by owners who buy into the franchise/business. There will be one large company who sell these franchises, so finding out who they are would help. That company will have a head hocho, although the shop owner themselves should take responsibility of their actions. They sell the animals?

The person running this pet shop should have their licence withdrawn if they cannot tell the difference between the species of hamsters they are keeping and selling. Not only that, they could be selling a baby Syrian to someone who wants a hybrid?

If nothing else, I would find out who grants their licence to sell animals and get onto them instead. ;)