PDA

View Full Version : Home mix

arikata
06-27-2008, 05:52 AM
Is it cheaper to mix your own ingredients for your hamster mix? What would you include in the pot?x

Teacake
06-27-2008, 10:10 AM
I add my own bits and bobs to P@H premium hamster food, i add porridge oats , linseeds, broken up walnuts and sunflower seeds ( the ones without the casing on ) i'm not sure it makes in go a lot further though :? but the dwarfies seem to like the porridge bits and linseeds :)

BatKat
06-27-2008, 12:24 PM
I add porridge oats, sunflower hearts, budgie mix and small dog biscuits to the HH. They all love sifting through and picking out the small seeds :D

souffle
06-28-2008, 11:42 AM
To a base of Harry hamster we add linseed, bulger wheat, porridge oats, soya beans, chick peas, lentils, barley, omega mix, weetabix and wheat germ. In porridge we use debittered brewers yeast and lactol. The dwarfs get more of the special small seeds in their food and also millet. All get the usual extras once or twice a week.

Matty Day
06-30-2008, 11:31 PM
To a base of Harry hamster we add linseed, bulger wheat, porridge oats, soya beans, chick peas, lentils, barley, omega mix, weetabix and wheat germ. In porridge we use debittered brewers yeast and lactol. The dwarfs get more of the special small seeds in their food and also millet. All get the usual extras once or twice a week.

just out of intrest what kind of quantity ratio do you use in that syrian mix it looks quite good and i might give it a go with welly :D

Hanlou
07-01-2008, 10:36 AM
Looks like I'll be adding a few of those ingredients to my weekly shop Souffle! :wink:

I still don't like the HH (well, Herbert and Tinker' aren't that keen, lol) but I have found a hamster base that I quite like - Tesco's hamster food believe it or not. But I like the sound of those additions. I haven't tried all those so thanks for the info.

souffle
07-01-2008, 12:49 PM
I don't really know Matty about quantities as we don't actually weigh them out or anything. We have a big plastic box and pour in the bag of Harry then add a handful or so of the other stuff, crumble in a weetabix and mix it all up. Lovely!
We have a separate box of dwarf small seed mix which they get more of as they seem to eat more of the small seeds than the syrians who I am not sure actually eat them at all. :roll: The dwarfs also get a millet spray. Another good addition is a bag of the 'soup mix' with all the assorted pulses and some pasta in it from any supermarket.

arikata
07-06-2008, 08:11 PM
Looks like I'll be adding a few of those ingredients to my weekly shop Souffle! :wink:

I still don't like the HH (well, Herbert and Tinker' aren't that keen, lol) but I have found a hamster base that I quite like - Tesco's hamster food believe it or not. But I like the sound of those additions. I haven't tried all those so thanks for the info.

I use the tesco stuff aswell! All of mine love it :D I add a few meal worms for the robos and a bit of spinage leaf once in a while

Fiona
07-08-2008, 09:40 AM
I didn't realise that hamsters could eat uncooked pulses. I've been looking for a homemade mix recipe for Patch, so I'll definitely add some of those to his mix, being veggie I've got loads of chickpeas, lentils and barley kicking around. :)