PDA

View Full Version : GCSE Art Work

SinNyx
12-08-2013, 01:51 PM
I have my first mock exam Mon. 9th Dec, so...tomorrow :(
BUT!...it's an art exam :3

I thought I would post a few pieces of my work on here to show people, feel free to give opinions I don't mind, always room for improvement.

I attached two of my pieces here, one is a rose I sketched...I always wanted to draw a rose and it felt like the perfect excuse. It isn't part of my coursework, just in my GCSE sketchbook.
The other image I attached is a dragon/butterfly thing...it's part of the coursework I am entering for my mock exam tomorrow. I am quite confident on it, I spent a lot of time trying to add detail to it and bring it to life...it does look better in real like though, the camera doesn't do it much good.

Hopefully I can post more soon, if people want :)

RowanWyrd
12-08-2013, 02:01 PM
I'll tell you the same thing my art professors told me all the time.
There are 255 shades of gray perceptible to the human eye, you have about 40.
You don't have a variation of gray. You are very skilled with the technical aspects. Your linework is beautiful. There is just no range across the spectrum of black. I'd like to see you develop your shading more and give us a real feel of edges, texture, and depth of color.
I think you have a ton of potential and wish you all the best on your exam.
Luck,
Rowan

ChocolateCream81
12-08-2013, 02:02 PM
Wow! You'll pass no bother!! I especially love the dragon thing!!

SinNyx
12-08-2013, 02:15 PM
I'll tell you the same thing my art professors told me all the time.
There are 255 shades of gray perceptible to the human eye, you have about 40.
You don't have a variation of gray. You are very skilled with the technical aspects. Your linework is beautiful. There is just no range across the spectrum of black. I'd like to see you develop your shading more and give us a real feel of edges, texture, and depth of color.
I think you have a ton of potential and wish you all the best on your exam.
Luck,
Rowan

Thank you for that, I know I need to work on my shading and details, really I need to get more supplies too! I am working on it and progressing my work, trying to get a good grade for my art...I had an A for my practice exam last year, which for me is a good enough sign that I can achieve it :)

Munchalot
12-08-2013, 04:51 PM
They look fantastic! :D

What materials are you using? Are you sticking with pencil or moving on to painting?
I adore your dragon, and I think it would look gorgeous as an acrylic ink painting, but it depends on your patience and timing capabilities. I'm assuming you have 5 hours for the mock, and then 10 hours for the real thing? :)
I'm crazy about dragons too. I did an acrylic painted dragon for my GCSE final piece, and I never finished it. xD However, I did one in ink for my AS exam, and that ended up looking nicer and I got it done quicker.

I think ink dragons looks awesome, because the colour blending works so well when detailing the scales. Don't faff about with paint. :L

hbrh94
12-08-2013, 05:35 PM
Any drawing always has room for improvement, it's all about the shadowing. Just take your time and try not to stress out. I also done art for two years at school and 3 years at college, I love drawing fine art. :) Horses are my favourite, and theres a recent drawing I done of Rihanna there too. :)

Good luck in your exams! :)

SinNyx
12-09-2013, 12:31 AM
I am a lot more confident with sketching pencils than anything else...I have had to use other materials for my coursework so I have used watercolour, black ink and coloured pencil buy thats really only in my artist studies.
My mock is five hours and my final will be ten hours :3...my theme this time was 'dreamworld' and to go more in depth I decided to look at mythical creatures...other pieces I have done include Dobby and Buckbeak from Harry Potter (I am a fan!)

Thanks all for the advice and opinions, I really appreciate it :)

evel_lin
12-09-2013, 12:45 AM
lovely artwork SinNyx :) I'm assuming you're still at school, I saw plenty of students doing art at my school who could barely draw at all so I think your work is lovely. My Mum used to work as an illustrator in London and can and has painted/drawn pictures that are so realistic they look like photographs. Unfortunately for me my Dad can barely write legibly, let alone draw and I've taken after him ;)

Munchalot
12-09-2013, 01:34 AM
Dreamworld?? That's an awesome theme! :O Why couldn't mine have been that cool... Man, I would have gone crazy with the fantasy on that one. xD

Well, if pencils are what you are most confident with, definitely stick with them. As already advised, really focus on your shadowing. Your line art is beautiful, but if you really want that sketch to come alive, lines aren't what you want. ;) Shadowing isn't just to define your lines, it brings the image out of the page and gives it texture and life. Draw your base lines really lightly, and build the image slowly with your shading. You can create your lighter sections with an eraser, or by shading around them. It will take longer, but the end result will be gorgeous.

Good luck for the exams! You'll nail it. ;) x

hbrh94
12-09-2013, 06:20 AM
Wow, I wish I got to do dreamworld, that sounds awesome! Fairies and unicorns would be so fun to draw, might give it a go anyway haha. Hope it all goes well x

SinNyx
12-09-2013, 09:17 AM
I did love choosing the dreamworld theme, there are so many options of what to draw or look at. There were 21 themes to choose from though, I was either going to do dreamworld or woodland - I am glad I made this choice :)

hbrh94
12-09-2013, 12:29 PM
Really?! You're so lucky! I had to do natural forms, which was pretty boring really! But I did get away which drawing mainly animals, and just the odd flower or rock! Make sure you analize everything, thats where most of your marks count sadly! :(

RowanWyrd
12-09-2013, 07:30 PM
Yeah. If you really want to get into the shading, but still feel most comfortable with pencils, I strongly recommend getting an ebony pencil. They have the same feel, but give you those true blacks that are so hard to achieve with standard graphite. And they're pretty reasonable at around $2 a pencil over here in the States

hbrh94
12-10-2013, 07:17 AM
I use whsmiths black pencils, they're so soft, I love them. But I Have to buy at least a 12 pack of coloured pencils at a time to get the one black one!

Oh and a putty eraser :)

SinNyx
12-10-2013, 11:14 AM
I did have a putty eraser and it annoyed me because of how dirty it got so quickly o.o...I will hopefully receive my mark before the end of next week so then I will consider more steps of how I can improve and maybe investing in some more stuff...a lot of it I have had for a while and my problem is most of my harder graphite pencils are just broken on the inside so they don't sharpen properly...

The sketch attached now was part of my coursework for this mock exam and I also added part of it to my final piece (my final piece was a collage of a my coursework, in larger form). This is probably one of my favourites, I think I must of added a bit more to it after though because I have it titled now, so it may lack some shading in this picture :)

SinNyx
12-11-2013, 09:27 AM
Here is my final piece....I took this with my phone so it doesn't bring out the detail in much of it...

hbrh94
12-11-2013, 01:51 PM
Awhh Dobby! Looking good! :) I've been drawing today too, drawing my friends little girl :) Not quite finished yet though..

SinNyx
12-11-2013, 02:49 PM
Awhh Dobby! Looking good! :) I've been drawing today too, drawing my friends little girl :) Not quite finished yet though..

Wow! That is amazing! I wish I was as good as that :3 I can't imagine how pleased your friend will be.

Truffle
12-12-2013, 03:50 AM
Wow... these are just amazing, you are so talented :)

hbrh94
12-12-2013, 05:47 PM
yeh shes pretty chuffed bless her, thanks x

SinNyx
01-08-2014, 08:34 AM
Well, I had my mock exam result today...my coursework got me an A* :)

I would love if anyone could give me some tips with drawing. My final exam will be in March (10 hours) and I will be given the paper in two weeks....
Any advice? :)

mrsroth
01-08-2014, 08:54 AM
I hope you get the grade you want, which should be pretty high looking at those!! /i took art at GCSE level but only managed a C, though in comparrison to those who got As and A*s because the teacher helped them (without sounding awful, they were organising drug drops in class, the people no one liked) I am more than happy with my C knowing that i did it myself. My talent depends on what mood I am in, If I am not in the mood to do something then I am my own worse enemy and it goes massively wrong, but on the other side of things, I can do some really good things too but they are rare pieces lol.

I wish you the best of luck with all of your GCSEs and everyone else on here in the same boat
x x

DrKMcK
01-08-2014, 09:06 AM
Well, I had my mock exam result today...my coursework got me an A* :)

I would love if anyone could give me some tips with drawing. My final exam will be in March (10 hours) and I will be given the paper in two weeks....
Any advice? :)

Congratulations on the A grade. I love your work. I adore sci-fi/fantasy, so your wonderful drawing was right up my alley. It looks like it stepped right out of one of Piers Anthony's Xanth books. I have every one of the Xanth series and I've just been reading the series over again since the beginning of November. I'm up to #15 of the set of 38. I have a portfolio of drawings, but nothing nearly as good as yours. :-D

SinNyx
01-08-2014, 10:04 AM
My main problem with Art is that when I don't want to do it, I don't. I have some lucky times where I feel inspired to, but at other times it is hard for me to get down to do something and feel good in what I have done.

DrKMck, thank you! I also adore fantasy, it's the only thing I really focus on in my Art GCSE, even when I had to make clay pieces to be put in my coursework, I made a dragon and a unicorn (which I wish I added much more detail to!).
Unfortunately I don't think I have seen those books! I used to read a lot of books but I never see the time for it with finishing school now. I am bad for not reading the last book in a series though because I always work myself up to what an ending would be like, and then the reader always leaves me in shock with what they come up with and how they make their twists to the endings!

Lady
01-08-2014, 10:53 AM
SinNyx, your drawings are wonderful. I actually really like the style of them, they have a tattoo-like quality to them that I think looks fantastic. I found that GCSE art was all about conforming, unfortunately. So, as others have said, try to concentrate on getting some really dramatic shading differences in there. If you decide to go on to A Level or further then you can really hone in on the style that suits you best, and worry a little less about getting it "right".

SinNyx
01-08-2014, 11:01 AM
I will definitely invest in some better quality pencils soon, the ones I have keep snapping when I try and sharpen them up so it's hard to get a decent looking shade on them.
I love tattoo designs, I look at them a lot for my art and I was going to choose them as a coursework theme before, but I changed my mind to the fantasy side of things.

https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/539707_155437174613839_147782164_n.jpg

This was my clay dragon piece before painting it last year, I was aiming for a baby dragon in a nest but it kind of went a bit different to that. This was my first time using clay so it was nice to get used to it with this, I later did a larger unicorn which was harder just to get it all looking accurate and the legs didn't come out to scale at best as it was laying down, and someone decided it was funny to break half of it's horn off.

DrKMcK
01-08-2014, 12:18 PM
SinNyx, that is something I would buy! I adore dragons and baby ones...Ack! I love this.

SinNyx
01-08-2014, 12:50 PM
Thank you ^^
I enjoyed making the dragon, it's just a shame that I am not very good at painting!

ChocolateCream81
01-08-2014, 02:06 PM
Thank you ^^
I enjoyed making the dragon, it's just a shame that I am not very good at painting!

Same here-give me a pencil and i'll draw you a half decent picture but give me a paintbrush............may as well give it to my two year old cousin!!!

SinNyx
01-09-2014, 09:55 AM
I wish I could paint, but I really can't!

Here is the clay unicorn when it was still in making before the kiln. As you can see...the legs...I had an issue with them x.x
https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash2/32595_174167696074120_286862916_n.jpg?lvh=1

SinNyx
01-17-2014, 01:58 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t1/1606852_266227080201514_1119319614_n.jpg

Here is a piece I have done for my final exam in March. I have looked at some tattoo designs ect and thought a lot about skulls, then I found this and I really wanted to have a go at it, I have always loved where a person is has two different 'sides'.
Anyway, this is Marilyn Monroe (hope some people guessed that?)

Gazmo
01-17-2014, 03:27 PM
aww thats amazing :D x

SinNyx
01-18-2014, 08:01 AM
aww thats amazing :D x

Thank you! :)

SinNyx
02-16-2014, 03:46 AM
https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1/1800403_275800352577520_300710808_n.jpg

I haven't quite finished this, but it's alright for now!

I have my final art exam in a few weeks and by then I have to have 15 art pieces...which is making me very nervous because I have so much to do!

SinNyx
02-22-2014, 11:13 AM
I updated the pegasus by using charcoal instead to give it more detail and depth...

I've looked at 'Day of the Dead' in Mexico so that I have proof of looking into a culture in my studies, so looked around for a good picture to draw and found a lot of great drawing, paintings ect...so this is what I have done as part of it:

https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1/1451478_278103152347240_271448774_n.jpg

It needs more detail and the lighting was bad. A lot of it was darker, which the picture quality doesn't do a good job of showing.

SinNyx
02-26-2014, 05:33 AM
Original by Georgia O'Keefe, I tried out pastels for this one...which I usually hate...but it wasnt too bad. I may use charcoal to get a darker effrct on the shading and I need to eork on the flower, but it was a good try...
I have 9 pieces now and I need 15, so more work to do!