PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid or roborovski?

PepsiTheHamster
12-04-2013, 03:08 PM
I'm getting another hamster for my birthday (22cd jan) and was wondering wether to get a hybrid or a roborovski? (Sp probably wrong) I would like to snuggle sometimes..... ;) but if I can only do that for a short time then I guess it will be okay :) also I would be making a 80 ltr bin cage for it, is that okay? And would they have to be in a pair? (I do have spare cages) and what food would you recommend and what treats?

Also, is there any health problems that I should be aware of? ( I heard that hybrids can get diabeties?)

Thank you :D

Ilovehamsters
12-04-2013, 03:29 PM
Hiya Pepsi, first of all both are dwarf species so will have to be housed in suitable housing they cannot escape from. A hybrid, is diabetic-prone, you are right! They have mood swings but some can be nice and some timid...it's all down to how they have been brought up..although roborovski's are SUPER fast and are known to be un-tame, but some can be tamed especially if been in human-contact from birth...personally I think a hybrid is best...roborovskis are very fast and are not so snuggly hamsters (Known from experience ;) ) but I also have a hybrid too, he is quite snuggly and will come to me when I call he's my little sweetie, he has been neglected from past owners and I got him from a adoption place, and managed to tame him now he loves me :D It's all really down to you! Wait to here from other people apart from me...people with far more experience :) Xx

CreamSyrian
12-05-2013, 12:48 AM
I echo what Ilovehamsters said, hybrids are generally more placid than the speedy robos so better for snuggles, though some can take a while to tame. My hybrid Dusty was tame in 3 days :D

Also, an 80l bin is a little bit small. If you are getting a bin, aim for around 110 litres. This bin from b&q is a bit expensive in comparison to the £10 (?) 110 litre bins at asda. This is slightly bigger however, I have seen both in person.

B&Q Large Tote Stacking Box, Clear/Grey, 0000003645352 (http://www.diy.com/nav/rooms/storage-shelving/boxes-baskets/boxes/B-and-Q-Large-Tote-Stacking-Box-Clear-Grey-10687703?skuId=11188409)

Are you in the UK? Some good cages here are the zoozone 1 & 2, Barney, Alaska, Alexander and Ferplast Kios. Have a look on zooplus as they do appropriately sized cages for a reasonable price. You could also opt for a 40 gallon tank, although these are usually quite expensive unless bought second hand.

If you are in the US then you could go for: Kevin 82, FOP Gabbia Tamburino, a 40 gallon tank or a zoozone 1/2 if you can find them!

Good luck! :D

Munchalot
12-05-2013, 03:12 AM
Hi Pepsi. :)

If you're after a snuggly hamster, then I agree with the others and say go for a hybrid. Though it is possible to tame a robo, they are by nature extremely fast and flighty, and if you're getting it from a pet shop the likelihood is it will be quite hard to tame.

On the other hand, I've found that when you get a hybrid, you never know what side of the coin they're on until you've had them a little while. By which I mean, some are lovely, and some are evil. xD
My little Toddy is the sweetest little hamster you will ever meet. He has never bitten me, instead he licks. :L He loves his snuggles and will lick the tip of your nose if you kiss him, and when he's out running free in my room, he comes running back when I call his name. Tamest hammie EVER. :mad:

Meanwhile. xD My recently passed on Marley was a demon in white fluff. It wasn't fear, distress or nervousness that made him bite, he was completely comfortable with his home and felt safe being handled. He never screeched or flipped on his back, he would just wear a frowny face and try to get you if you touched him. He just didn't like it. Or, he didn't like us. He bit me so many times I can't keep track, and when he wanted a chunk of you, his three-leggedness didn't hold him back!

You hear a lot about aggressive hybrids, but then you also hear of the lovely ones. I wouldn't swap my Toddy for anything in the world.

I may be taking a leap in the dark here, but I've found that the hybrids who most definitely look like true hybrids (complete mix of DNA) with their coat colours and body/head shapes, or those hybrids who seem to be more on the Campbells side, are more... unpredictable, and often the ones that randomly attack you with no motive.
The ones that seem to have a lot of Winter white characteristics seem to be more docile and tamable.

My Todd looks far more WW that he does Campbells. As was his brother. They have the coat and shape, and they turn completely white in winter, and both were absolutely lovely. Plus, working in a pet shop I can see the difference. A cobby little sapphire looking one may be sweet, but it's red eyed argente styled sibling will come flying at you with teeth bared!

That was a bit of long post, got a bit carried away... But anyhoo. xD I would say go for a hybrid, but ask the shop assistant if you can hold or pet them. You may walk out with a little darling.

As for the bin, it depends on what the dimensions are. 80 litres would be fine if it's a lower bin, because that means that those litres go into length and width.
You'll want a length of at least 70cm, more if you can find a bigger one. :)

Oh, and food-wise, it depends on what species you go for. If you take on a hybrid, because of the risk of diabetes you will want to give them a feed that is completely without added sugars, and low in natural sugars to avoid bringing it on. My guys have always used SupaHamster Harvest Dwarf, which is good for dwarfs and nice and simple. A robo can eat this too, especially as the little seeds and pieces are ideal for tiny hammies. But robos don't have the proneness to diabetes, so they can eat what Syrians eat, including the standard SuperHamster instead of the dwarf. You could also feed Harry Hamster, or JR Farm if you buy online? :)

racinghamster
12-05-2013, 09:28 AM
Hiya. Go with what the other members have suggested and don`t make up your mind until you have asked yourself which species is right for you. Roborovskis (if you have never kept one before) are not for everyone. Their expectations can become disappointment very quickly when the owner realises they are like fleas with fur on! That`s not an understatement, believe me. Robos are FAST and that speed can get them into trouble, which is why they need understanding and most importantly, housed in a large enough tank/narrow barred cage to have the desired space to speed around in. I love them though because of their independent natures and fun antics. But then I don`t worry whether I can handle a hamster or not. That`s just a personal thing really. Robos suit me.

I`ve kept four roborovskis all at different times and they were all fast and furious. The lad I have now is over two years old and is very cage territorial and has to be transferred using a box!.

Hybrid Russians I have not kept. I did have one male Russian in the distant past and he was a lovely little guy and could be handled. He did look very much like a normal winter white though and as Munchalot said, this can sometimes mean they are more WW than Campbells, which I too believe. So if holding or handling/interaction is more what you want, then I would look for a hybrid that suits you. Just be aware that some can be nippy, so try and look for one that maybe is unwanted? Pets At Home adoption area, rescue centres or online websites can be good places to look, but you also need to be aware that some dwarf hamsters are advertised as `dwarf hamster` and could end up being a Chinese hamster or a robo! So check what you are taking on.

PepsiTheHamster
12-05-2013, 10:44 AM
Oh munch a lot, Marley seems like a right character! You made me laugh by demon with white fluff :D

I think I'm gonna get a hybrid :) I've had noooooo experience with dwarfs before so a cheeky robo might not be my thing ;) I'll look at the adoption centre at p@h near the time to see if I find a fluffo (Hammie) that I like there ;)

I'm going with a 110 ltr bin cage because I can't order online :(

And going with supahamster food :D

Oh and your gonna hate me but jus one last thing, do hybrids have to go in pairs? I was hoping to find a dark agouti colour sort of thing and a white (I saw baby's like this in p@h last Tuesday and melted) and call them salt and pepper :D (I've got spare cages)

Thank you all for the long posts packed with info!!

Ilovehamsters
12-05-2013, 10:57 AM
They don't have to go in pair's but they can, I would be careful though alot of hams don't get along, only mainly robo's get along best with eachother, you can but you MUST have a spare cage and 2 of everything...bowls..beds...wheels...bottles...ever ything :) I hope you enjoy your new bundle of fluff! And a hybrid is a dwarf...just so you know ;)

PepsiTheHamster
12-05-2013, 03:05 PM
Yes, I know ;) I'm getting a camera for christmas so a lot of photos of it/them!!