PDA

View Full Version : What to do, please help....

peanut25
09-10-2005, 06:32 PM
I am sorry that I haven't posted in a while. I have been rather busy. This is my question. I kept some of the babies that Whisper and Bandit had. One of the females seems to be chewing on her tail and I don't understand why. I clean her cage once a week, haven't changed the bedding that I use, haven't changed her food or anything else. Has anyone ever run into this problem and what should I do. I have some salve from the vet that he gave me for when Bear hurt his leg and it isn't expired. I have been using this but she still continues to chew. Can you please help me? :cry:

Emma
09-10-2005, 11:38 PM
Perhaps something is irritating her - is her skin red at all, does she scratch? What are her poops like, are they normal? What bedding/litter do you use?

Things I'd be thinking about are whether there is an environmental irritant (bedding, air freshner etc), whether she has parasites (would need to see a vet) or whether she's in discomfort because she's constipated or anything?

From your post it sounds like she's chewing at her tail to the point where she's actually damaging herself? If there is a wound personally I wouldn't put any cream on it, but just bathe it in warm salty water (1-2 tsp salt to 1 pint of water).

SnuggleHam
09-11-2005, 07:54 AM
Posted on behalf of neeshkabeesh due to spilt topic change..

peanut25 - can you see any parasites on your hamster? I know that when rats get lice they chew the base of their tail and the fur grows thinner. Lice are pretty easy to treat with Ivermectin from your vet, I'd take her along and see what they could do.

SnuggleHam
09-11-2005, 08:00 AM
Sorry to hear that your little ham is having some tail troubles. And don’t be sorry for not posting for some time, we all understand we have other lives besides HC (although some people really spend lots of time here heh :oops: ) all the same we are glad to be here for anyone that needs help or advice despite how often they post.

I would assume that is has to do with some kind of skin irritation, I know hamsters aren’t dogs, but as an example dogs can have skin irritations that you cant easily see, especially if its a kind of fungi, (from what I gather) So there may be something you cant visibly see.

The only other things I have heard of for reason why animals chew their tails is because of boredom (although I don’t know how accurate that is) or because of some sort of nutrition deficiency in their diet. But I’m sure your hamsters diet is fine. I guess your best bet would be a trip to the vets for this one. :D

peanut25
09-11-2005, 08:19 AM
I will take her to the vets then. Thank you for all your advise.

neeshkabeesh
09-11-2005, 12:32 PM
Thanks Candace :D keep us posted peanut25!