PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Bart, my little hero

fluffydd
11-18-2013, 03:49 PM
I hope you don't mind me posting a memorial for my little gerbil buddy Bart in this section.

Bart left us last Wednesday and I'm missing him so much. He came to live with us in November 2012 with his brother Homer. They were advertised on the internet and free to a good home. They were age 3 at the time they came to stay.

They were both lovely boys, very sweet natured and playful. We were able to give them so many new experiences - new foods, a bigger home, deep substrate, hay, tissue and most importantly the chance to run around. They loved it.

Homer Gerbil left us peacefully back in February and Bart lived on his on for the past 9 months. He was such an active gerbil - far more active than my young boys. He took over our lounge and went from playing on the sofa to running freely on the lounge floor for a few hours a day. He was such a tough little guy. He had his scent gland removed last December. He got bitten by Homer a week later so they had to be separated. He suffered a small stroke in early January which left him with a squinty eye and an ear that wouldn't stand up but otherwise unharmed and just as active as ever. Then in July he needed more surgery for 3 more tumours on his tummy, and in his last month with us his teeth needed attention too. He was always such a happy little guy and I loved every minute I spent with him. When he came to live with us last November I never imagined he would be with us for so long. I'm so glad he was a part of my life and he will always have a very special place in my heart.

http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/xx42/Sprogly123/Bart%20and%20Homer/Bartgerbillabelled_zps33603543.jpg (http://s740.photobucket.com/user/Sprogly123/media/Bart%20and%20Homer/Bartgerbillabelled_zps33603543.jpg.html)
http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/xx42/Sprogly123/Bart%20and%20Homer/Bartgerbil2labelled_zpsebaaa136.jpg (http://s740.photobucket.com/user/Sprogly123/media/Bart%20and%20Homer/Bartgerbil2labelled_zpsebaaa136.jpg.html)

ham-star
11-18-2013, 03:54 PM
Awww, Bart looked like such a sweet little gerbil.
So sorry for your loss :(

RIP and play free at the Bridge, reunited with your brother x

fluffydd
11-18-2013, 03:56 PM
Thank you. He was a fantastic little guy.

icklemunch
11-18-2013, 04:18 PM
So sorry for your loss.

Bart was absolutely stunning, and what a lucky boy to end up with you.

Sleep tight Bart x

fluffydd
11-18-2013, 05:30 PM
Thank you.

The Hamster's family
11-18-2013, 08:25 PM
I'm sorry for your loss.... =( It's never easy to say goodbye... I hope you are OK...

Run free, little Bart... Go join your daddy at the Bridge...

Annie xx

ANGELBABIES
11-19-2013, 12:27 AM
Awww what a lovely little character little Bart. So glad you gave Bart and Homer a loving home. Run free little Bart, and have plenty of fun at the bridge with Homer. xxx

fluffydd
11-19-2013, 02:34 AM
Thank you. I'm missing him so much but I know that he had a lovely time here living with us. I don't think his previous owners would have got him the surgery he needed so I'm really glad we were able to extend his life by nearly a year. I loved all the time I spent playing with him. I just wish we could have known him for longer.

racinghamster
11-19-2013, 07:08 AM
Sad to hear Bart has passed on fluffydd. I`ve kept gerbils myself and know how much they fight illness and challenges. I really miss keeping them because they are such characters and really make us smile and laugh at their antics. Two of my males also had scent gland surgeries.

Sleep sounds Bart, you were a brave lad. x

fluffydd
11-19-2013, 08:10 AM
Thank you. It's wonderful how brave and tough gerbils can be, but then funny that they get spooked if I stand up too quickly or turn a page noisily. My gerbils make me smile every day. I've only been keeping them for a few years but I don't think I could be without some now. Even when they're not even doing anything especially funny it still makes me happy to be around them. Last week wasn't good as after losing Bart on Wednesday we had Moonbeam Gerbil at the vets on Thursday for a scent gland tumour, and he had his scent gland removed on Friday. He's only a youngster too - not much more than a year old. He's being a good boy and taking his baytril (via cheerios) unlike Bart who refused to take any of his. I've been reclaiming the lounge today - packing away all the toys from the sofa and the floor. I filled two storage boxes of toys for washing up, and two recycling bags of cardboard. I didn't mind giving the whole room to Bart as he deserved it :)

racinghamster
11-20-2013, 02:58 AM
I know how you feel, I was gutted to lose my boys as they were such a good thing for me at the time I had them. Best wishes to little Moonbeam after surgery. They heal really well these little guys. Give him a little treat from me. x

souffle
11-20-2013, 04:44 AM
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. your tribute is lovely and he sounds to have been a real character.
Play well at the bridge Bart x

fluffydd
11-20-2013, 08:36 AM
Thank you, Souffle. He definitely was a character. We had time to go to the garden centre today and I've bought a dwarf lilac bush as a tribute my little lilac buddy. It will flower in the spring so that's something nice to look forward to.

RH - Moonbeam says thank you for the treat. He had a pine nut. I got a good look at his tummy while he was standing up on his back legs this morning and it's looking really good and healing fast.

Pompompoms
11-24-2013, 06:51 AM
That's a lovely tribute to a gorgeous little fella. He sounds adorable, and I'm so glad he got to live so long with you as he was clearly very happy. Play well little Bart xx

fluffydd
11-24-2013, 07:56 AM
Thank you Poms. I'm so glad he came to live with us. I miss him most when I come home in the evenings and he's not running about on his rattly platforms trying to get my attention to let him out to play.