PDA

View Full Version : Doritos

xkaytix
06-22-2008, 09:41 AM
Oscar won't eat any treats and barely any food. But the other day I put him on the bed and found a piece of dorito which i had dropped and ate it very fast! Is it ok to give as a treat now and again?

BatKat
06-22-2008, 10:01 AM
I would imagine that they have way too much salt in them to be healthy for a hammy to eat. Even the cheesy ones would be a accidental one off only too. Like most people hamsters like junk food but they really aren't suited to eating it. Stick to hamster treats from the pet shop :D

Jane
06-22-2008, 10:15 AM
I wouldn't feed it personally because I imagine they're really unhealthy. If you wanted, you could give him a small piece of cheese which he'll probably enjoy. As an accident, it wont hurt him, but if you fed them regularly and purposely then he might become unhealthy.

Spuds Mum
06-22-2008, 03:06 PM
I agree the salt levels would make it a very unhealthy treat to give regularly, I am sure though that there are lots of treats that will suit your very particular ham!:D
Have you tried a little bit of chicken? or a spoonful of porridge? A peanut in its shell, or a walnut that has been cracked? :D

jayne
06-22-2008, 03:08 PM
Agree with what the others have said, ok as an accident and one off but i wouldn't give it as a treat.
A teeny tiny bit of cheese would be ok if it was a cheesy dorito! Otherwise i would tell him to lay off the doritos :lol:

Ness
06-23-2008, 05:09 AM
you can just buy cornchips with nothing on even without salt. I use these for cooking. I don't know if they would be ok though but they have hardly any fat in too.