PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye, Old Man Marley

Munchalot
10-31-2013, 04:00 PM
On halloween of all nights... You mean little ham, it does kind of fit. Grumpy, funny Marley left us today for the bridge.

In March this year, me and my college room mate went to Pets at Home up the road, having a look around. We did not plan to do anymore than peek at the animals, but then we saw him and that was it. This sad looking little hybrid was sat in the corner of his tiny tank, looking so miserable. His soft white fur was greasy and he was not happy about all the people staring at him. From the off Marley was not a people-ham. :L

We learnt from the member of staff that he had been in adoption for eight months, and was brought back to the store by the people who bought him because when they got home they realised that he only had three legs. Poor Marley was missing his front left leg, which meant he had trouble getting around and using a wheel. We decided it must have been a genetic deformity, as he had a large oddly shaped lump where the leg should be, and it felt as though there was the beginnings of a limb that never really grew.

We felt sorry for the little man, and we left with our first P@H adoptee (this was my first ever visit to a Pets at Home. I had avoided it before on a moral high ground :L). And so Marley came into our lives as our angry little college room mate - the third resident in the wonderful Main House Room 6. :D
We named him after the legend Bob Marley, as our room 6 theme tune for the year was 'Buffalo soldier'.

Marley, or Spud as we mostly called him (fat little toad that he was) spent the rest of the college year chilling out with us, entertaining us as he waddled around on the floor or sat and helped us with our coursework.
His funny quirks never failed to have us in stitches, especially when he woke up in a particularly bad mood. He was an angry little sod, always biting and glaring at us with his frowny little old man face! :mad:

http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a578/Munch-alot/9622fc68-5379-42b7-b608-bb03c91479ff_zps06ccf802.jpg (http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/Munch-alot/media/9622fc68-5379-42b7-b608-bb03c91479ff_zps06ccf802.jpg.html)

The only thing that would calm him down was his favourite thing in the world - a mealworm, or a bit of millet. Or a bit of toast if we were making some.
We even made up a little voice for him when he went off on one - one we still use to talk to eachother now. To all who look strangely at us at in the social room, it is known as the Spud Voice. :L His most used phrase was "I'll 'av ya! I'll f**kin 'av ya!". And he would have me! I still have the bite wounds if I look!

He went on many adventures with us, going for rides in the car and coming up to the woods with us on some of the warmer summer days. We even took him to the park once on the way home from college!
We decided a while ago that when he passed, we would bury him in our favourite spot up in the woods near college, where us and our mates have spent so many evenings, well, doing what students do. :L Being as it is firework night on Tuesday, and we're going up to the woods to set some off, we'll burn our little fire thinking of the one college buddy we are now without. We'll let a cracker off for you, Spud.

Come September this year, we decided not to bring him back to college with us. He had been slowing down, and now that me and my friend are over 18, we're not allowed to share a room anymore. He lived his last few weeks at her house, as he always preferred her (never mind that I'm the one who works in a pet shop, and bought all his toys and treats!). I got to see him last Friday, coming home from college. I knew it wouldn't be good, but I'm glad I got to see him and hold him one more time. I gave him a hug and a kiss and the mealworms I brought him, and I knew I wouldn't get to see him again. It was clear he was at his end.
Then today, I got the message. He was gone...

Marley, my man, you may have been an ill-tempered little git, and you never appreciated what I spent on you, but you were a cracking little hamster. You were a funny and brilliant room mate, and a fantastic little buddy. I love you Spud, and I hope wherever you are there is plenty of toast and mealworms.

See you round, buddy. We'll miss you xxxxxx

http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a578/Munch-alot/3d6db412-d691-4117-90fa-e26d7d39ee13_zpscc1cbe93.jpg (http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/Munch-alot/media/3d6db412-d691-4117-90fa-e26d7d39ee13_zpscc1cbe93.jpg.html)

http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a578/Munch-alot/a014ba03-670e-46a0-86fa-e2d63966a4da_zpsa155a6f4.jpg (http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/Munch-alot/media/a014ba03-670e-46a0-86fa-e2d63966a4da_zpsa155a6f4.jpg.html)

icklemunch
10-31-2013, 04:12 PM
What a beautiful memorial i didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

He sounds like such a character and was very lucky to have found you, as you was him :)

Sleep tight spud xx

Hope you're ok munch x

BrainGirl
10-31-2013, 04:15 PM
What a wonderful tribute, he was one lucky (if grumpy) little hamster to have met you x

Munchalot
10-31-2013, 04:21 PM
Thanks ick. I think I much feel the same way after writing that, when I think of his hilarious little quirks it just makes me smile. I'll miss that little old man.

And my god what a character! :mad:

Yeah, I'm okay. Thankyou. :) I know I'm going to burst into tears when we bury him, but we have some cracking memories of those months we had with him. x

Munchalot
10-31-2013, 04:22 PM
What a wonderful tribute, he was one lucky (if grumpy) little hamster to have met you x

Thankyou BrainGirl. :) xx

fluffydd
10-31-2013, 04:38 PM
That's a fantastic tribute to Marley. I even read it out to my OH. It made me laugh and cry at the same time. Marley sounds like an amazing little guy and I'm so glad they he got such a lovely home with you after 8 months without one. I can't believe no one noticed his leg problem before he was sold. Even though he was a bit cranky I'm sure he loved everything that you did for him and he had a fantastic life with you :)

Munchalot
10-31-2013, 04:46 PM
Thanks, fluffy. He was such a special little buddy, couldn't have asked for a better addition to our college family.
We always said he was born to be a dog, chomping down his dog kibble, biting people and taking rides in the car. :mad: Such a little character. x

Gazmo
11-01-2013, 01:36 AM
oh no! poor marley, im really sorry :(

Munchalot
11-01-2013, 05:24 AM
Thanks, Gazmo. Such a shame you never got to meet him. :( x

The Hamster's family
11-01-2013, 04:35 PM
I am sooo sorry it was his time to the Bridge... On the other hand, I think by showing him so much respect you managed to offer him more than just comfort and happiness... You respected his soul and that, my friend, is beyond words...

Run free, little one... Enjoy all the mealworms in the world at the Bridge and bite'em all if they bug ya !

Annie xx

kimlck
11-01-2013, 07:06 PM
Sorry for your loss Munchalot.
He doesnt sound like a grumpy old man, just an old man that doesnt like stupid people or people that dont get him.
You and your college mates did get him "born to be a dog" indeed.

Play well Marley xx

Call me Alison
11-01-2013, 07:59 PM
Play well at the bridge Marley xxx

DrKMcK
11-01-2013, 10:09 PM
So many people get a pet because they want something cute and fuzzy to make themselves feel good. Why a pet with three legs isn't good enough is beyond me. So, here's a little one who spent 8 months of his life unwanted because he wasn't perfect. By who's standards? He sounds like he was a perfect little ham living with you and your roommate. He was himself and you both let him be himself and enjoyed him, quirks and all. I am so glad you two found him that day and allowed him to share your lives. Your tribute to him was wonderful. And so are the both of you. Play well Marley :-(

Munchalot
11-02-2013, 02:28 AM
Thankyou so much guys, such lovely words. xx

We'll both miss this guy so much. We were hoping that if he perked up he could have come back to college, and we would have taken turns having him in our rooms.
He wasn't really that old, only around a year and a half, but with his limb deformity I suppose it's very likely that there was always something inside that wasn't quite right.
I'm just glad of the time we did have with him, and I'm so glad we went to P@H that day. x

Thankyou again everyone xx

souffle
11-05-2013, 04:21 AM
I am so sorry for your loss :(
Play well at the bridge Marley - you will be so much missed x

Munchalot
11-06-2013, 03:27 AM
Thankyou souffle xx He will indeed be so missed x :(

Popcornandme
11-06-2013, 03:58 AM
Rip marley,I cried when I read this tribute and immediately went to my hamster's cage and picked her up and stroke her,when I touched her soft fur,I felt that everything was alright again . My tears trickled down my cheeks while looking at her. I know you must be feeling devasted , but maybe something will make you feel better someday.

moonlite
11-06-2013, 05:22 AM
wonderful tribute, sorry for your loss...

Pompompoms
11-24-2013, 05:32 AM
My goodness Marley, if you weren't another species I would swear you were related to The Cloud! A true kindred spirit, cause mayhem at the bridge together :mad:

What a lovely tribute to an awesome hamster, I smiled all the way through. Play well little man xxx

Munchalot
11-24-2013, 05:42 AM
Thankyou so much you guys. x

Our lovely little man is curled up cosy now, up in the woods in our favourite spot on the hill, right where the sun hits as its going down. We'll miss him dearly. xxx

cactus
11-24-2013, 06:23 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss. I shed a tear and had a smile reading his tribute, he had so much personality. Play well at the bridge xx