PDA

View Full Version : what materiel should i use to make a hamster cage?

empire11
10-29-2013, 11:39 AM
hiya people

I have started to create a diagram on what my homemade hamster cage will look like but i am not sure on what type of materiel i should use i don't want to have to pay a ton of money but dont mind spending some. so if any of you guys could please comment and tell me what type of materiel you would use to make a hamster cage.

Tutu
10-29-2013, 11:53 AM
SAMLA Box - transparent, 78x56x43 cm/130 l - IKEA (http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/90102971/)
This is often used by bin cage makers.

Daniellabella
10-29-2013, 11:53 AM
A lot of people make DIY Bin cages, very spacious. I have just brought the IKEA BILLY and have put that together i really like it.
I don't no your plans of the cage you want to make, how big and the kind of things you are planning to put in the cage, so i could not suggest anything. look on the DIY forum page their are a lot of ideas on the forum. Also you could Google home made Hamster Cages or DIY Hamster cages.
My Cages is wooden with a mesh roof and glass front.
Hope this helps and good luck

Georges Mum
10-29-2013, 12:39 PM
you can use wood if you wanted to make your own personilsed cage. I will be doing this over the next few weeks for my Hamster.

BrainGirl
10-29-2013, 01:06 PM
I used 1/4" x 1/4" wire mesh in ~22 gauge to cover the bars in my ex-guinea pig cages. It's lightweight enough to cut easily and small enough that the hams can't get their noses through for bar chewing. You might want to go with a larger mesh (1/2" x 1/2") so that you can more easily hang toys from the ceiling, and perhaps a solid floor with sides so you can have enough substrate for digging. That's the cheapest option I can think of.

Something I saw the other day that would be kind of cool too was a homemade reptile enclosure made entirely from plexiglass with holes drilled for ventilation. I've never used the stuff though I've heard it's difficult to work and expensive to buy.

empire11
10-29-2013, 01:07 PM
you can use wood if you wanted to make your own personilsed cage. I will be doing this over the next few weeks for my Hamster.

yes i was hoping in making a wooden cage and make it my own personelised i am wonting the hight to be 90cm the length 60 cm and the width 40 cm i wont 4 floors in it but am not sure what type of look and materiels to use? if this is any help for some ideas!:)

empire11
10-29-2013, 01:10 PM
I used 1/4" x 1/4" wire mesh in ~22 gauge to cover the bars in my ex-guinea pig cages. It's lightweight enough to cut easily and small enough that the hams can't get their noses through for bar chewing. You might want to go with a larger mesh (1/2" x 1/2") so that you can more easily hang toys from the ceiling, and perhaps a solid floor with sides so you can have enough substrate for digging. That's the cheapest option I can think of.

Something I saw the other day that would be kind of cool too was a homemade reptile enclosure made entirely from plexiglass with holes drilled for ventilation. I've never used the stuff though I've heard it's difficult to work and expensive to buy.
thanks i will keep this in mind!:)

Tutu
10-29-2013, 01:13 PM
If you look up here http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/housing/37424-lets-see-your-cages-january-2013-a.html
you might find inspiration and you can always ask ?s from actual members who has done home made cages.
Hope it helps.

empire11
10-29-2013, 01:25 PM
If you look up here http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/housing/37424-lets-see-your-cages-january-2013-a.html
you might find inspiration and you can always ask ?s from actual members who has done home made cages.
Hope it helps.

thank you so much tutu i think this could really help me:D

Tutu
10-29-2013, 01:30 PM
After searching for a long time finally I found this.
http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/diy-do-yourself-hamster-projects/41107-project-syrian-cages.html
This member made really really good habitat and explained it perfectly:)
Hope it helps:)

empire11
10-29-2013, 01:54 PM
After searching for a long time finally I found this.
http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/diy-do-yourself-hamster-projects/41107-project-syrian-cages.html
This member made really really good habitat and explained it perfectly:)
Hope it helps:)

thanks so much tutu for taking the time in helping me and you have defonitly help a lot i cant say how pleased i am for the help you have given me:D :) :D

Tutu
10-29-2013, 02:03 PM
thanks so much tutu for taking the time in helping me and you have defonitly help a lot i cant say how pleased i am for the help you have given me:D :) :D

I'm pleased you found it useful. Looking forward to seeing your hamster and cage pictures soon.

Good luck with the project.

empire11
11-01-2013, 01:06 AM
I'm pleased you found it useful. Looking forward to seeing your hamster and cage pictures soon.

Good luck with the project.
thanks:) me and my dad are looking at what could be changed for what i have done just to make the look better:)

should be fun!