PDA

View Full Version : eyes open

Roverina
09-09-2005, 08:17 AM
The babies eyes have opened today. It looks as if they arent totally open but nearly. When is it ok to take them out of cage as Mum is dragging them back to nest all the time when they come out. I havent seen them eating any of the food yet or drinking. It would help if I knew how old they are but all I know is they cant be more than 3 weeks cos I cleaned the cage out on Sunday 21st Aug and took all the bedding out. I know Gill is having the same dilema and I think neither of us want to make a mistake and Mum kill the babies. What age would everyone think they are if their eyes have just opened? I will need to know when to separate them.......oh its such a responsiblity!!

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b283/roverina/P9090051.jpg

i-love-paddy
09-09-2005, 08:34 AM
Normally eyes open at 14 days. All but 2 of my babies eyes have opened so I wont be cleaning the cage out until all eyes are open. My babies are eating all the time (bunch of pigs!) but I haven't seen them drink from the water bottle.

You take them from mum at 28 days and run them on in same sex groups until they are ready to be rehomed - 5 weeks onward.

babyboos
09-09-2005, 08:59 AM
Do not seperate until the eyes are fully open and you see them eating the hamster mix. Give it at least 21 days and as much as 28 days if you can roughly calculate that out.

gill
09-11-2005, 04:52 PM
Yes. I am having the same problem, and I agree, it is a huge responsibility. I am glad to say our Mum, "Bobby", - named when we thought she was a boy,- seems to have been a fantastic Mum and has looked after them really well, thank goodness. I thought there were 9 but I was wrong. There are 10, but one seems to prefer to hide. A few of them are turning into real porkies. They are eating all the time. They curl up on their backs with tiny seeds in their paws!

They are gorgeous and I will be so sorry to see them go. my son wants to keep one of them, and we have found homes for a couple more, the rest are going back to the pet shop. " Bobby" is now rechristened "Bobbie".

babyboos
09-12-2005, 04:30 AM
If their eyes have just opened they are around 2 weeks old.

Aww it would be hard not to keep one admit it Gill :oops:

Bobbie you are on the homeward stretch - only a few more days of nibbled nipples, and then you can settle down to pampered pet status :wink: