PDA

View Full Version : New hamster :)

xrrebeccaax
10-13-2013, 10:07 AM
Got a brand new dwarf today!! This is the first hamster I have had in three years so I'm very excited.

http://distilleryimage11.s3.amazonaws.com/6fa902a0341711e3872f22000a9e064b_7.jpg

Is it really important not to handle her for a day or two or can I cuddle her tonight?

twnk77
10-13-2013, 10:16 AM
Aww, what a cute hamster. What kind of dwarf hamster is she? Also, it's always good to give the hamster a day or two to adjust. It's very stressful on a hamster being moved to a new environment. I've regretted trying to play with my newest robo hamster Venus at first. She ran from my hands, and escaped for a whole hour. It was very hard to catch her! Just giving you hopeful advice.

Susie
10-13-2013, 10:22 AM
AWWWW! She's cute! Is she a hybrid? <3

cactus
10-13-2013, 10:29 AM
Your new ham is beautiful, I'd give them a day or two at least if not more to settle in properly with you and start talking to them at first so they get to know your voice first before you start playing them properly :)

Munchalot
10-13-2013, 10:34 AM
Aww how sweet! :) What an adorable fluffy coat she has! :) I'm assuming she's a hybrid?
Lovely colouring.

Personally I would wait at least a day to allow her settle in. She looks quite small so I'm amusing she's pretty young? She will probably be quite stressed right now, and the last thing you want is to distress her further. I've also learnt that hybrids tend to be a little erratic and can become quite defensive, so I would give her as much space and time as possible right now, to make sure your bond starts off in the right place. You don't want her to learn to fear your approach, or she may respond defensively. :)

xrrebeccaax
10-13-2013, 11:06 AM
Yes she is a hybrid (i assume anyway), I got her from Pets at Home adoption so she's not as young as some of the others there were.
She's so friendly, I handled her in the shop, and unlike the others she didn't try to run away she was just curious.
And yes the fluffy coat is adorable! That's what made me really fall for her!

And finally I know I'm saying she, but I am convinced she's a he... The workers told me she was a he, but she has that big long bottom the boys tend to have.. maybe I could upload a picture in a few days and see what everyone on here thinks.

Munchalot
10-13-2013, 11:51 AM
Aww so glad she is so friendly. It's nice to see a long-term adoptee prove to be so lovely. Such a shame she was there in the first place!

If you're doubting the sex, by all means post a pic. We'll do our best to help you identify. :)

Babycakes
10-13-2013, 12:49 PM
Love her eyes x