PDA

View Full Version : Wes is ill

flogging_molly
09-08-2005, 02:03 PM
I'm not too sure whether it is a broken leg, or he's had a stroke, I was hoping maybe you guys could help me out.

Wes is very unwell, skinny, wobbling about and not very energetic at all.

He's been fine the last few nights I've had him out but tonight I took him out and he was very lethargic, wobbling when he walked. I'm not sure as to whether it is a stroke or not as he seemed to be wobbling on one particular leg, then on both front legs, he doesn't move around much and is quite underweight.

The weight loss I can't explain but if he has broken his leg he wouldn't have been able to get to his food on his second level.

He seems fine and I checked him over, everything seems normal and there are no lumps and his hair is fine. However his right eye seems sticky around it.

I am going to take him to the vets tomorrow, but I just thought maybe someone here could help me try and narrow down what it might be.

babyboos
09-08-2005, 02:52 PM
Oh Debs I am so sorry. I hope you are okay. Did you try the out of hours number? Very concerning he would noticably lose weight overnight. Does he let you touch his front legs? Can you feel anything? I know you will be very, very gentle. Just stay calm and talk to him soothingly. He is very young for a stroke but not out of the realms of probability.

flogging_molly
09-08-2005, 03:07 PM
I have put him in the cage Molly was in, so he doesn't have to go up any levels for food or anything

he lets me touch his front legs, I can't feel anything. we shall find out tomorrow at the vets I guess :(

babyboos
09-08-2005, 03:09 PM
Is he walking around or lying prone in his nest?

flogging_molly
09-08-2005, 03:26 PM
he was walking about but now he's back in bed

babyboos
09-08-2005, 03:42 PM
is he able to get to his food and water okay?

maybe offer him his water bottle and some food. I don't imagine you have any human baby food to hand do you from his babies?

flogging_molly
09-09-2005, 03:04 AM
So me and Wes went to the vets this morning and she checked him over, he has had a stroke.

She gave him a steroid injection and gave me a course of antibiotics to administer everyday to clear up any infections.

She said that he should recover but to bring him back after the course of antibiotics if he still isn't well.

Currently I am giving him some high protein foods, and he is in a cage on one level with his food and water close to his nest.

So fingers crossed for his recovery. He's my little baby.

babyboos
09-09-2005, 06:59 AM
that doesn't explain the overnight dramtic weightloss Debs, was the vet aware of how young he is?

pophammy
09-09-2005, 07:19 AM
Maybe he was a bit dehydrated Babyboos and the stroke could have caused some loss of muscle tone making him appear thinner. Make sure he gets plenty moist porridge & baby food to keep his fluid levels up. He may not be finding it east to lift his head to lap at the bottle so some cucumber would be good and you could feed him dioralyte rehydration fluid from a dropper. Hope he has a speedy recovery poor little guy.

babyboos
09-09-2005, 07:30 AM
Yes possibly. I am a little concerned he is being given antibiotics though as these can damage his gut flora and the wee guy needs these to be as strong as possible to help him through this time. Debs I really strongly recommend a good pre/probiotic for him. Give him a little plain bio/live culture yogurt until you can get hold of some if you have none to hand. AviPro Plus is one of the best. Not sure if your vet will have anything suitable? AviPro is available by mailorder from Noah's Ark (http://www.noahs-cupboard.co.uk/detail.asp?catno=7&pnum=A2A7M). Make sure you only give him Harry Hamster too, no other brand has added probiotics that I am aware of on the commercial readily available market.

I wish I was up in Dundee this weekend Debs to come round and give you some support - hang in there - be strong for him, hugs to you.

SnuggleHam
09-09-2005, 09:33 AM
Aww poor Wes I’m sorry to hear about what happened to him, I hope that he recovers from this and can become as normal as possible and hopefully live a nice long life with no more difficulties.