PDA

View Full Version : diy shelving unit

Matty Day
06-18-2008, 12:49 PM
this is my mark 1 shelving unit cristened mark 1 as mark 2 is in the pipe line.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x207/mattyday/111shelfvingunit.jpg

cost wise for the wood is cost 30 quid to make using pine legs and cladding for the shelves :D but you need good woodwork skill to make it hence i got my dad to make it but i designed it

ill do a guide how to make one with the mark two due to the fact as its a pain to keep pulling cages out by hand
whic i aim to add sliding shelvesdue to the fact as its a pain to keep pulling cages out . the mark two will be twice the size deisnd for four gabbers or zoozones and four cammys imacs etc or twelve cammys imacs or rodys :D

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x207/mattyday/plantv.jpg

my very bad first set of drawings for the mark 1 :D

Foreverhamsters
06-18-2008, 01:00 PM
may i point out matty, the idea you showed me at bath seemed really good except i just thought, if you have a sliding top shelf when its pulled forward the gravitational pull with shift causing the whole shelf unit to fall forwards. to prevent this it would need fixing to the was properly with some screw.

the mark 1 looks very handy, i might get some shelving units as its so much easier than having to un-pile tubs every time you want to get to a certain hamsters.

Matty Day
06-18-2008, 01:07 PM
may i point out matty, the idea you showed me at bath seemed really good except i just thought, if you have a sliding top shelf when its pulled forward the gravitational pull with shift causing the whole shelf unit to fall forwards. to prevent this it would need fixing to the was properly with some screw.

the mark 1 looks very handy, i might get some shelving units as its so much easier than having to un-pile tubs every time you want to get to a certain hamsters.

im doing the plans for the mark two now ive taken into account that problem is sovalble and ill show you my ssoloutoin when its done :D

Foreverhamsters
06-18-2008, 01:29 PM
good good, it sounds good i look forward to seeing the finished article!

Matty Day
06-18-2008, 01:48 PM
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x207/mattyday/1amark.jpg

here the first set of plans for the marke 2 im using bolts rather than nails :D so it can be taken down and moved easily

to stop the tip hence the double sectoi as only half of one shelf will be moved out at a time :D
im also going to replace the light slats on the bottom shelf withy heavy woods im hoping to scrounge some oak or heavy wood for a reclamer for the bootom shelf there will be also catche sto preven all shwlves sliding out at once so one sectoin ata time :D

no need to nail to a wall :D at all i might een bulk up the suppts and add some struts to prevent wobbling as on the mark one :D

arikata
06-21-2008, 08:37 AM
Hey thats brilliant! I've been pestering my dad to help me build some shelves but he keeps telling me 2 do them myself. I know how 2 use all the tools but it's just the measuring and angles that I just can't do! I'm aweful at it lol! I think I will have 2 bat my eyelids at my flat mate :wink:

How long did they take to make?x

Foreverhamsters
06-21-2008, 12:20 PM
you could probably knock something up like that in under an hour if you had all the equipment out ready.

arikata
06-21-2008, 04:25 PM
you could probably knock something up like that in under an hour if you had all the equipment out ready.

I think I will stick to Ikea :lol:

Matty Day
06-22-2008, 06:35 AM

are you joking(no offence intended) it took the two of us the best part of a day to make but we had to cut the wood do alot of measuring etc :D

this is custom made from scratch :D

arikata
06-22-2008, 01:10 PM

are you joking(no offence intended) it took the two of us the best part of a day to make but we had to cut the wood do alot of measuring etc :D

You should go into buisness lol :D

Foreverhamsters
06-22-2008, 02:04 PM
Matty Day wrote:

Foreverhamsters wrote:you could probably knock something up like that in under an hour if you had all the equipment out ready.

seriously if you have all the equipment and measurements ready it wouldn't take long at all. me and my dad built a tree house in just under a day :roll:

arikata
06-22-2008, 02:44 PM
I've always wanted a tree house lol x

Foreverhamsters
06-22-2008, 02:48 PM
my little brother wanted one so we built im one. i had one when i was little used to love it.

arikata
06-22-2008, 02:49 PM
I live on the second floor of my flat now so I'm gona pretend that it's a treehouse :D

Matty Day
06-22-2008, 02:54 PM
we do like to take our time thougth :D

we did have my plans but we double checked and attached each peace carefully. i always find prottypes always take the longest time to make that day included the trip to the diy shop thougth :wink:

arikata
06-22-2008, 03:02 PM
I am lethal in a DIY shop, I would go in for a bit of mesh and leave with lots of tools that I wouldn't be able to tell you a use for!

Ness
06-24-2008, 10:15 AM

yep I've made a shelving unit and it took a few hours with all the wood cutting, and then another few hours painting, but it only took an afternoon really.