PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Fluffy. I will miss you forever.

fluffydd
09-24-2013, 03:22 PM
I can't believe I'm writing this. Fluffy hamster left us tonight. I found her at 9pm lying in her favourite corner, next to her wheel. She liked to sit there looking out of her cage while waiting for me to come and see her. She looked very peaceful. I stroked her lovely soft fur and told her I loved her. She can't have been there long as I'd been in and out of the room all day. I wish I'd been there when she woke up so I could have had a few more minutes with her.

We don't know for sure how old Fluffy was. She was a rescue hamster that came to live with us on 22nd August last year. She was so pretty with big ears and a little foxy face and when we first saw her she was trying to climb up her water bottle to escape. We thought she might already be an adult as she was already big but she continued to grow for another couple of months so I'm estimating she was 4 months old when she came to stay. I based that on hamsters stopping growing at 6 months old, but I'm not sure if that's true or not.

She lived with us for 1 year 1 month and 2 days and I've loved everyone of them. I've lost so much sleep staying up to play with her but I've not minded that at all. In the last few months she had slowed down a lot. She was only awake for an hour or two each night and she didn't ask to come out to play every night. She could no longer climb the stairs. It was amazing to watch her do that. She to get to the top of the stairs in less than a minute and then she'd like me to take her back down to the hallway so she could do it again. Her record was 7 climbs in one night. She didn't ask to come out to play every night either

I have so many wonderful memories of Fluffy. She loved me to carry her around the house so she could see all the rooms. She would tell me where she wanted to go. Until June this year she lived upstairs in the study. She moved downstairs when the weather became to hot. We made the room hamster proof (which took a lot of defences including blocking up the bottom of the radiator as she was a very determined hamster) so she could run about on the floor. She was so inquisitive and wanted to touch everything. When she wanted to leave the room she would run to the door and chew at the carpet until I picked her up and open the door. Then we'd go on a tour of the house. If she didn't want to go into a particular room she would turn around in my hands and try to walk away. If she did want to go in her ears would prick up and her nose would twitch and she looked so excited. She liked to run on the landing and the hallway, and on all of the beds and the dining room sofa.

We tried to introduce her to a hamster ball when we first got her but she was terrified of it but about 6 months ago she walked into an open hamster ball that was lying on the floor and since then her playtimes were a mix of free running and playing in the ball which meant she could play in the rooms that weren't safe for free ranging.

I knew she was feeling her age since she was sleeping more and more but she never lost her inquisitiveness and playfulness. I've been making the most of every minute I had with her. I even bought a baby monitor so I would know as soon as she woke up.

Last night we had a fantastic playtime which started out with her playing on the sofa in the lounge. She's not done that before but my husband and a friend were sitting on the sofa watching a film so I let her play on the sofa with them while I got her toys out in the hallway. She loved it so much. Then she had a play in her hamster ball and explored the whole downstairs of the house. We followed that up with free ranging in the hallway and her playcage which sits in the hall. She had a good run in the wheel and then a nap, before collecting up the food that I scattered in her playcage. Her playtimes always finished like that. She loved to be fed while she was out to play. When her pouches are full she trotted over to me and asked to go home by standing on her back legs and reaching up to touch my leg, so I scooped her up and gave her a cuddle and told her I loved her and popped her back in her cage.

It was a perfect playtime and I'm so pleased she was able to play in a new room. Maybe she thought it was ok to leave us now she had conquered all of the rooms in our house. I'm pleased that she had such a peaceful end and she stayed happy, healthy, active and inquisitive right to the end of her life. I wish so much that she was still here. She would be almost ready to come out to play now. For the last year I've spent 1 to 3 hours a night playing with her and she has left a huge hole. I still can't believe she's gone.

I love you Fluffy hamster. Thank you for sharing your life with me. You were a wonderful friend and I will never forget you xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/xx42/Sprogly123/Fluffy/fluffcage5_zps242e2965.jpg (http://s740.photobucket.com/user/Sprogly123/media/Fluffy/fluffcage5_zps242e2965.jpg.html)

http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/xx42/Sprogly123/Fluffy/Fluffyhall3_zps150fe9b4.jpg (http://s740.photobucket.com/user/Sprogly123/media/Fluffy/Fluffyhall3_zps150fe9b4.jpg.html)

Sparklegirl
09-24-2013, 03:49 PM
Aww I'm so sorry! :( sleep well, pretty angel! *hugs!*

fluffydd
09-24-2013, 03:51 PM
Thank you xx

fluffydd
09-24-2013, 06:26 PM
My partner David just said a very sweet thing. We'd been talking about how Fluffy had mostly stopped running in the wheel in her cage.

He said it was lovely that instead of spending her time running in the wheel in her cage she saved her energy for coming out to play with her best friend. That really means a lot to me. Me and Fluff really were best friends :) Every day it made me so happy seeing her waiting by the door of her cage to come out to play. In the last couple of weeks that had been enough for her and she would go straight back to sleep after her playtime and cuddles.

fluffydd
09-24-2013, 09:29 PM
It's after 4 and I can't sleep. I just found some really lovely videos of her that I made last month. Watching it has helped. I almost feel like I've had another playtime with her. I filmed this on 25th August and I can really see that she had slowed down in the last couple of weeks. She was still just as keen to play though. I keep thinking that there might have been something I could have done for her. 17 months still seems too young. But she had no signs of ill health apart from slowing down so I guess it was her natural time to leave me.

The video is about 6 minutes long but I didn't want to edit it down as it shows what a busy girl she was which did make it quite hard to film her. There is a little pile of aubiose in the cage that she jumps down in to. We bought it that afternoon so this was the first time she'd had some, so that's why she's interested in it. It was also the first time she'd seen the video camera. It always made me smile that when she had a whole hallway to run about in she still liked to go into her play cage to run in a wheel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6-tYyQfUJY

lewisforr
09-24-2013, 10:16 PM
That was a very touching tribute and a wonderful video! Fluffy was so very lucky to live with you.

Sparklegirl
09-24-2013, 10:38 PM
You really loved her and I'm sure she knew that:) She is a beautiful girl! Sending you my hugs! <3

fluffydd
09-25-2013, 02:24 AM
Thank you. I think the next few days will be quite hard for me but I know that she had a happy life and that helps. I just wasn't quite ready to say goodbye.

racinghamster
09-25-2013, 04:44 AM
Really sorry for your sad loss fluffydd, it`s that gap that they leave that is difficult to cope with. She was a beautiful little lady and your memories of her will always be there. She obviously had a wonderful life after coming to you and as I always say, it`s not how you start, it`s how you finish. She passed in a home where she felt loved and peaceful. x

Scampi16
09-25-2013, 04:51 AM
I'm really sorry for your loss, hugs xxx
Play well at the bridge Fluffy.

fluffydd
09-25-2013, 06:45 AM
Thank you. Your messages really help.

It's a lovely sunny day here today and we gave her a good send off. We laid her in tissue from her nest and put in some of her favourite things - her cuttlefish, the remains of her crocodile chew, a dog biscuit, a piece of cucumber and some broccoli And an orange rose.

The rabbits were lovely. They were very playful and interested and came over to see what we were doing. They were so sweet and lovely and although I was crying I couldn't help laughing at how lovely they were.

racinghamster
09-25-2013, 07:13 AM
She had a lovely send off and the rabbits sound as though they gave you a little smile at a sad time, which is nice. Animals just have a way of making us feel good. x

The Hamster's family
09-25-2013, 04:10 PM
I'M very sorry you lost your friend... =( I hope that your heart will soon feel better... May all the love you gave her be sent back to you to help you cope with your sadness....

Run free, sweet little girl... Keep an eye on your human from the Bridge...

Annie xx

fluffydd
09-26-2013, 03:02 AM
Thank you for the lovely messages.

I've been thinking about her a lot and remembering the funny things she did. We heard her making loads of noise one night so went to see what she was doing. For a few weeks she'd had a cuttlefish bone wedges between the bars making a little ledge in one corner of her cage. She would usually be sitting on it when I went to play with her. On this occasion she was dragging the cuttlefish bone through her tube (one of those rat sized ones) so she could take it into her nest. It wasn't easy but she was a determined girl and she managed it.

Last week she made up a new game. This rotastak cage was lying on the landing
http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/xx42/Sprogly123/improvisedhamsterwheel_zps06e1b015.jpg (http://s740.photobucket.com/user/Sprogly123/media/improvisedhamsterwheel_zps06e1b015.jpg.html)
She climbed in and started to roll it along the floor. I had to help her turn it when it got to the entrance hole as that sticks out but she loved it and it kept her busy for ages. She was such a funny girl. It kept her busy for ages. I wish I had a video of that as it was so cute. She was showing no signs of wanting to come out so I took her from the landing to the bedroom so she could run around in there but as soon as I put her down and she jumped out as a chance to run on the bedroom floor was too much to resist. I had to scoop her up almost straight away though as our bedroom isn't hamster proofed and there were too many places she could have got into. I did make a little improvised pen out of boxes and suitcases so she did get a little run around on the floor but that didn't really satisfy her. She would have adored having our bedroom to explore but it wasn't safe enough for her. When she was younger she got past my defences in the study and went behind the bookcase. She refused to come out as she was having fun chewing the carpet. By the time we'd taken all the books off and moved the bookcase she'd made quite a big hole in the carpet and looked very pleased with herself.

I'm still feeling sad about not having one final goodbye, and thinking about her sitting there waiting for me, but I know I shouldn't think like that, and I'm trying to concentrate on all the wonderful things she did.

This video makes me smile. I love how busy she was. And it's so cute when she sees the camera towards the end and just stops still to look at it. The camera was sitting on the floor and she hadn't noticed it up to then. She came running up to me for cuddles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-309CUlpYCw

souffle
09-26-2013, 07:01 AM
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. She was clearly much loved and will be so missed.
Play well at the bridge Fluffy x

fluffydd
09-27-2013, 10:33 AM
It still doesn't seem real that she's not here. I know I'm going to have to pack away her cages and toys soon but I can't yet. It's almost like she's still here when all her stuff is around.

GhostsInSnow
09-27-2013, 11:28 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss *big hugs*
Run free at the bridge fluffy xx

kimlck
09-27-2013, 02:05 PM
Gutted for you, you loved her very much that is plain to see.
Play well Fluffy xx

ANGELBABIES
09-27-2013, 02:07 PM
So sorry to hear you lost your little mate. Its obvious you two had a very special bond - you knew what she wanted - a bond of complete trust and deep love that knows no boundaries - a bond that can never broken. Little Fluffy fluff will be waiting for you by the rainbow bridge when it is your time. There is much heartache when our little ones leave us, an aching desire to hold them again, a unfulfilled vacuum, a sadness which only our little fluffs can quench - but all we can do is hold on to the beautiful memories w e have created together. You will feel her love always - her love remains etched in your heart forever. Take care xxx
Run free at the bridge little Fluffyfluff xxx

Pompompoms
09-27-2013, 04:12 PM
A lovely memorial for your Fluffy, your love for her shines through from your words. Play well gorgeous girl xx

fluffydd
09-27-2013, 06:14 PM
Thank you for your lovely words. I really do appreciate them.

fluffydd
10-14-2013, 01:34 PM
I'm still missing Fluffy Hamster so much. It will be 3 weeks tomorrow since she left us. On Wednesday I had time to visit a garden centre to buy a plant for her. I wanted something orange and found a few things that I might have bought but then my OH found an orange hybrid tea rose. I knew it was the right plant to buy when I read the label. It's called 'Remember me' which made me cry as it was so perfect. We then had to buy a very tall pot to put it in so it would be safe from the rabbits. I won't see any flowers from it until next year but I'm looking forward to them.