PDA

View Full Version : Really scared or is something wrong?

Hana
06-18-2008, 12:24 PM
I got my chinese hamster Prawn Cracker (Cracker for short!) and she is just the cutest thing ever, but I'm a bit worried. She is very skittish and when I pick her up she just sits there she doesn't move, even when I put her in her ball and leave her alone for a bit I'll come back and she'll be in exactly the same position as when I first left her. She doesn't move and it's kind of scary sometimes.
Is she ok?
I don't know how I'm going to even tame her when she won't even move, I've had her for a good few weeks now and I don't seem to be getting anywhere :?
I don't know what to do!

Heres some pictures of her anyway! :D

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r122/Hana555/DSC00402.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r122/Hana555/DSC00313.jpg

souffle
06-18-2008, 03:26 PM
I'm not experienced with chinese Hana but I don't think this is uncommon behavior. She is still relatively new and may still be quite unsure. We have had hamsters who have just sat in their balls like that and I would maybe not use the ball for now until she is hand tame which will like take a lot longer with a little skittish hammie. I am sure she will soon start to gain confidence and relax with you. The freezing is a reflex to protect them from predators. Ours often do it and we always say 'Oh he's spotted and eagle!' Good luck and hope she settles soon.

jayne
06-19-2008, 02:43 AM
Hi Hana

Welcome little Cracker, you are a very pretty little girl :D

I wouldn't worry too much about her behaviour Hana, when i had my girls, Sweet & Sour, Sour was the one who would never run in her ball and be very timid. Sweet little natures they have, don't get me wrong, but as you say, would just sit on my hand and not bother moving, call it lazy maybe :lol: :shock:
As Souffle mentioned, I wouldn't put her in her ball until she is a bit more settled with being handled. It's not nice to see them just sitting in one spot in their ball and i fully know where you are coming from. You want them so much to be running around and enjoying their freedom!

Please let us know how you get on with your taming, as always it's just patience :wink:

Foreverhamsters
06-19-2008, 10:24 AM
with young females they do tend to be rather skittish, after a week or 2 of handling she should be fine. if you pick her up, then just let her go where ever on your hands she will soon get used to you. i generally stick my hand in the cage with younger pups and let them climb all over it, this also works with older animals.

Alex

Hana
06-20-2008, 09:33 AM
Thanks for your replies, I do worry a little too much I think! :oops:
I guess I'm just gonna have to be patient and keep going with her.
Shes a really nice hamster - hasn't biten me at all and is really interesting to watch, until she notices and does the freezing thing :roll: :lol:
Anyway thanks again :)

Ness
06-24-2008, 01:42 PM
my chinese did the same too, after a few weeks he started to run about like nothing before when he use to sit still in his cage as well. sometimes he still does it though.