PDA

View Full Version : Hamster safe paints?

prince_medion
09-19-2013, 04:22 AM
I have seen Rust-oleum and plastikote toy safe range but I've seen some nice effect ones such as terracotta and stone, but no mention if it safe and only seems to be in sprays...would rather brush applied ones. Any suggestions?

NotsoLittleOlive
09-19-2013, 04:39 AM
If it doesn't say they are, then they aren't safe.
The stone/enamel effect plasti-kote ones definitely aren't - they smell noxious and make me choke.

For a bit more choice there's a range of Wilkos garden paints that are safe and some Eco paints in B&Q which have a good colour range.
Try the garden section in DIY stores. There are more outdoor specifically pet-safe paints than there are indoor.

You can also use Fiddles Hard Wax oil if you just want to keep a wood effect.

Queen Of The High Teas
09-19-2013, 07:53 AM
Ronseal Woodland Trust colours outdoor paint for sheds/wooden garden things:

Ronseal Woodland Trust Colours | Garden Colour Products | Ronseal (http://www.ronseal.co.uk/products/woodland-trust-colours)

Waterproof, comes in a bunch of lovely colours, goes very far (I've done my hamster shed, bunny home and wheels in 2 layers each with the middle sized can and still have half of it left) so works out cheap if you have lots to do, and once dry it's 100% safe for animals, including hamsters, as I actually phoned up to check:)

JinjaMakes
09-19-2013, 10:51 AM
I have a tin of that in the shed!

prince_medion
09-19-2013, 11:16 AM
Shame, I would have liked to give the cage's plastic a nice stone effect, could be alright for the outside thought, but id have to do it after i cleaned them and while the occupants are out lol.

NotsoLittleOlive
09-19-2013, 02:20 PM
It's fine on the outside - but you'd need a temp cage for a few days as they need a whole to air before the smell clears.

prince_medion
09-20-2013, 01:03 AM
Ah I see. thanks

racinghamster
09-20-2013, 11:42 AM
Hamster`s don`t notice interior or exterior design so I wouldn`t use anything unsafe just to make the cage fancy at the expense of the hamster`s health or switching the cage which can cause stress to a hamster. Someone (I think it was Gazmo?) recently bought some sticky-back-plastic in pink and animal print design and put this on the outside of her cage and because this is instant, the hamster doesn`t need to move out! :)

prince_medion
09-25-2013, 01:27 AM
yeah i thought of that, i could have used something natural like wood but would make it unhygienic though, i think ill try to find vinyl or something. I learned the hardway about messing with the cage when they're asleep, makes em stressed and bitty. Won't do it again.

flowerfairy
02-15-2016, 06:53 AM
Cuprinol garden shades are a pet safe water based range with loads of great colours

TARDIS Tara
05-21-2016, 01:34 PM
Any Cool-Aid drink mix with a vinegar rinse is hamster safe.

Great for popsicle sticks!