PDA

View Full Version : Introducing Peanut

rikki1991
09-18-2013, 03:31 AM
I finally after about 4 months of waiting have my little hamster. I have a boy and a girl name picked out but I don't know the sex yet and until i do (s)he will be called Peanut (unless i get too attached to that name and keep it)

TraceyH
09-18-2013, 06:50 AM
So cute he/she is.

Pilgrim77
09-18-2013, 08:20 AM
She looks adorable. Makes me hamster broody!

Toolz
09-18-2013, 08:48 AM
Awww so Adorable... (S)he is a beaut

rikki1991
09-18-2013, 09:19 AM
I started taming today. Tried holding out some food and letting him (from what i can tell he is a boy but not 100% sure) take it from me and he took it off me with out even hesitating. I did that a couple of times and every time he came straight over and took it without a second thought so I tired the next step and put some on my hand and put my hand flat in the cage, he sniffed me a bit then climbed right on with all four paws! I tried this 3 times and all three times he got completely on my hand. (I took the food i used from his food bowl so i didn't feed him more than he should get.)

slatted
09-18-2013, 09:32 AM
That is great! Bet you are very happy that s/he is so tame already and clearly trusts you? :)

rikki1991
09-18-2013, 09:37 AM
That is great! Bet you are very happy that s/he is so tame already and clearly trusts you? :)

I am. he was from a pet shop so i really wasn't expecting it. I thought it would be a while until i got to the all four paws on my hand stage. I think i could have done more but i didn't want to do too much on the first day of taming. I think hamsters just like me in general. My last hamster was the most aggressive hamster I have ever seen with everyone else and one of the kindest and well behaved with me.

Stockannette
09-18-2013, 11:02 AM
So! Much! Cuteness!

RachK
09-18-2013, 03:44 PM
Awww she's adorable :D

DrKMcK
09-18-2013, 03:47 PM
Cutie hammie! How wonderful for you that s/he is taming so well. Peanut can be for either a boy or a girl, so if you get attached to it, no real problem :-). You must give off good hammy vibes :-)

rikki1991
09-19-2013, 09:35 AM
I have been so lucky with this little one. Second day of taming and he came onto my hand with no food on it and i could pick him up and have him walk from hand to hand.

jesselle
09-20-2013, 09:29 AM
peanut is adorable! i love his little smushed face :)

rikki1991
09-21-2013, 10:16 AM
He moved his nest yesterday and today he was foraging for peaces of toilet roll so I thought I would help him out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL3Zp6Tb5jU

rikki1991
09-22-2013, 08:58 AM
He moved his nest again today, I guess he is deciding where he likes best. I wonder how many times he is going to move before he finds somewhere he likes.

rikki1991
09-23-2013, 10:49 AM
taming update:

Taming is going amazing, he is pretty much 100% tame.

He has a big problem with me stroking his back, if anything touched his back he would "Scream" jump and run away. I don't know if something traumatic happened before he came to live here.

I started yesterday with using a long wooden chew toy and holding it somewhere he would brush against it, he would flinch at first but soon was fine with it. Then went onto stroking him with it again he would flinch away from it and he would go roll in his sand but soon got used to that too. Today I stroked him with my fingers for the first time and he was total fine and relaxed about it. started with the wooden thing first but it didn't bother him at all so tried with my finger and not even a slight flinch He went from being absolutely terrified of being touched to fine and relaxed being stroked in 24 hours. I am amazed.

Stockannette
09-23-2013, 11:29 AM
Go, Peanut!

rikki1991
09-25-2013, 09:16 AM
I noticed today that he has 2 food stashes one in his nest for the main food and one somewhere else with just seeds in.

rikki1991
09-25-2013, 10:22 AM
I got a good look at Peanuts belly today and i'm pretty sure that my initial thought of male was wrong and i'm almost certain that she is a girl. I saw the two holes quite close together (about 3 or 4mm) so assuming I saw what I thought I saw I have a little girl. She will be keeping the name Peanut because I like it better than the name I had picked for a girl

rikki1991
09-26-2013, 07:40 AM
I just have to share this cute photo I got of her today

PepsiTheHamster
02-09-2014, 04:03 PM
Awwwwwwwwwwwwww

rikki1991
02-09-2014, 04:39 PM
Just a quick update and some more pictures as its been a while since I posted anything.

She is an amazing little girl. In the time since I got her she has only bitten three times, two of them my fault and once an accident.

The first time I was holding her and she stared exploring up my arm and wouldn't get back on my hand so I had to grab her to pick her up and put her in her cage so she didn't fall and hurt herself or escape. Of course she freaked out a bit and bit me.

The second time I made the mistake of not washing my hand after eating before picking her up and my hands smelt really strongly of food so she game me a little nibble to taste it.

The third and last tie was when she was going through a stage when I had really long nails where she would bite on them (I have taught her not to do that now) but one time she accidentally bit my finger as well as my nail.

She is such a well behaved little thing, we recently had to travel for an hour and she was so good and just slept the whole time.

AlexWyattMommy
02-09-2014, 05:07 PM
She is a cute little bundle of fluff.