PDA

View Full Version : out with the old

Matty Day
06-17-2008, 01:52 PM
after speaking to a few people it seems that my Chinese colour problems could be down to diet so out with the old in with the new I have ditched pure Harry hamster mix :D

I have made a new custom mix 1kg Harry hamster to 1kg golden linseed to 1kg millet seed

this new 3kg mix will last me three weeks thought I am using it on Syrians and Chinese until bath and if i see colour improvement ill make it permanent

this new mix is expensive the linseed costs me six quid a go though the other two indigents are a pound and a pound 29 a kilogram so not that bad

ill keep you posted on results

ive also ditched treats expet for dog bisciut small bits of veg and egg

Bunsey
06-17-2008, 02:07 PM
holy moly, £6 for 3 weeks worth of linseed! :shock:
i think my chinese would just have to stay pale :lol:

Foreverhamsters
06-17-2008, 02:15 PM
£6 , someones cheated you matty :shock: , the golden linseed i get costs me just over £2 a kg
however it is a very good idea, the linseed does work wonders for the fur, its a trick many fanciers use on other rodents too!

Matty Day
06-17-2008, 02:44 PM
£6 , someones cheated you matty :shock: , the golden linseed i get costs me just over £2 a kg
however it is a very good idea, the linseed does work wonders for the fur, its a trick many fanciers use on other rodents too!

that was for 1kg of organic stuff from holland and barret i dont care 8 quid for three weeks mix is ok as hamster get 10 quid excluding vets here and with my fincard im paying 18 quid a month for mix and bedding i get veg free i steal it out of the fridge :wink:

Matty Day
06-17-2008, 02:54 PM

that was for 1kg of organic stuff from holland and barret i dont care 8 quid for three weeks mix is ok as hamster get 10 quid a week excluding vets here and with my fincard im paying 18 quid a month for mix and bedding i get veg free i steal it out of the fridge :wink:

Moosley
06-19-2008, 07:25 AM
You are all crazy :lol:

I buy linseed sold in packs for birds at a random small pet shop for about £1.27 for 2kgs and Millet is only slightly dearer than that!

Foreverhamsters
06-19-2008, 08:10 AM
wow , matty your running costs seem very high. i couldn't afford to pay £10 on food for 3 weeks, i virtually always buy in bulk it saves a lot of money. i bought 15kg of mixed millet seeds and 5kg golden linseed for under £20 this week that will probably last a few months!!!. my bedding only costs me £6 a month(megazorb).

Noodles
06-19-2008, 08:27 AM
Can I just ask why do you all use millet? Is that only for dwarfs or should syrians have that too?

Also Matty why are you stopping treats?

Sorry for the questions :lol:

BTW - Moosley I have just paid more than that for 500g of linseed!! I didn't know I could use bird stuff. :oops: :lol:

Matty Day
06-19-2008, 02:45 PM
Can I just ask why do you all use millet? Is that only for dwarfs or should syrians have that too?

Also Matty why are you stopping treats?

Sorry for the questions :lol:

BTW - Moosley I have just paid more than that for 500g of linseed!! I didn't know I could use bird stuff. :oops: :lol:

i havent ive just limted my guys to a few good quality treats :D

forever hamsters as i work and get 50 quid a week i can afford to spend ten quid a week on hamsters i do buy to many toys thougth :D

Geniverger
06-24-2008, 04:03 AM
I didn't realise hamsters can eat millet sprays. I also have budgies who love millet spray so I reckon they'll share!

NaomiR
06-25-2008, 12:10 PM
I think it's a great idea Matty but you really should be thinking about costs now otherwise you'll never be able to expand and as you're breeding some seriously awesome Chinese, I think you're going to want to keep the odd 1 or 2? :wink:

I use Linseed for the piggies, shop around, try Farm Shops locally?

Matty Day
06-25-2008, 01:15 PM
I think it's a great idea Matty but you really should be thinking about costs now otherwise you'll never be able to expand and as you're breeding some seriously awesome Chinese, I think you're going to want to keep the odd 1 or 2? :wink:

I use Linseed for the piggies, shop around, try Farm Shops locally?
i know this might sound obvouis but im well within my means hamster wise im only spemnding 8 quid on mix every three weeks :wink: and as i currently budget 10 quid a week for hams im well within my means :D

true this wont be adequate to expand but im expanding as the time i can spend and the amount of money i bring in goes up :wink:

i dont have the time to shop around as im currently using free peroids to go hamster shopping but only one once a week when its holiday times ill have more to me to shop around :wink

Bunsey
06-25-2008, 02:08 PM
when you work, having things that can be delivered is a godsend. i hate going shopping on sat and sun when it's like a scrum everywhere.