PDA

View Full Version : DIY Treat Ball

Jane
06-15-2008, 08:05 AM
(I hope it's okay to post this because this isn't my idea. This is generally passed around forums, and I have no idea who came up with the idea. However, I thought I'd post a tutorial on it anyway. If anyone here happens to be the person who created this idea then tell me and I will credit it to you.)

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee317/janepets/diyham/DSCN5879.jpg

You will need:
- 1 toilet roll tube
- 1 dog biscuit
- 1 pair of scissors

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee317/janepets/diyham/DSCN5866.jpg

1) Using the scissors, cut the toilet roll tube into strips. I like to do it into about 6 peices, otherwise I find they are either too wide or too narrow.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee317/janepets/diyham/DSCN5868.jpg

2) Using two of the strips, push one into the other so they are starting to form a ball shape.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee317/janepets/diyham/DSCN5870.jpg

3) Next, pick up another strip and slot this over the ball you've already made.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee317/janepets/diyham/DSCN5871.jpg

4) Push the dog biscuit into the ball.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee317/janepets/diyham/DSCN5872.jpg

5) Take the next cardboard strip, and slot this over the ball.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee317/janepets/diyham/DSCN5876.jpg

And there you have your treat ball :wink: If you've been adding up as you went along, then you will have noticed there are two strips left. I personally only use this many because I think it's makes a good amount for the hamster, it's not too many so that they can't get in, and I struggle to fit more around it. However, if you want then you can put on the next two strips too.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee317/janepets/diyham/DSCN5879.jpg

A short video of Charlie attacking on if anyone is interested:
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee317/janepets/diyham/th_DSCN5880.jpg (http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/ee317/janepets/diyham/?action=view&current=DSCN5880.flv)

mollldoll
06-15-2008, 03:23 PM
that's a brilliant idea, I'll be doing this next time I put the paper tubes in for them

xkaytix
06-16-2008, 12:44 PM
Made one each for Alfie, Lola and Oscar today :D. Put 2 hamster marbles in instead tho because we didn't have any dog buscuits.

babyboos
06-17-2008, 08:53 AM
what is a hamster marble?

arikata
06-17-2008, 09:07 AM
I made one for Harvey, he wasn't in the slightest bit impressed :lol: He just looked at me in discust like 'what on earth is that, woman?!' I'll leave it for him, let him work out that it contains a nut :D

Spuds Mum
06-17-2008, 12:18 PM
This is a great idea Jane - lol - I posted pics of it on another forum a while back.
Not all hams can be bothered to be honest - but for the ones that do love a chew on a cardboard tube, they love trying to get into them - especially if you put something nice and 'fragrant' inside so they can smell the treat. :D

Shelled walnuts work well Ive found :D

alvinsfamily
06-17-2008, 01:07 PM
I made one for Alvin, he nibbled on it for a couple of minutes and then got the treat out!!! :shock: :x

xkaytix
06-17-2008, 03:02 PM
A hamster marble is a bordome buster treat that you can buy from pets at home :)

Ness
06-17-2008, 03:27 PM
yep you get quite a lot in a bag and all my hamster seem to like them, (the marbles).

I've made a treat ball and put extra tube bits on it as my syrian loves chewing things and it'll keep her busy for about a minute (she really is like that, lol).

arikata
06-17-2008, 03:31 PM
I gave one to my robos, Milkybar Kid chewed through a bit and is sat INSIDE of the ball lol!!

arikata
06-17-2008, 03:32 PM
A hamster marble is a bordome buster treat that you can buy from pets at home :)

I will have to try them! What are they made of?

Ness
06-17-2008, 03:37 PM
Made from real carrots, alfalfa, beetroot and cheese. Feed a few each day, especially by hand.Ingredients: Analysis:Grains, carrots, alfalfa, Protein 13.5%, Oils 3.0%,beetroot, cheese. Fibre 9.5%, Ash 5.0%

I really like a lot of there range.

ilovemyhammies
06-17-2008, 08:41 PM
lol they look good, will have a go today, i always have loads of empty toilet rolls

is it just pets at home you can get the hamster marbles from?

can hamsters open shelled walnuts?

arikata
06-26-2008, 02:01 PM
Would you mind if I used this idea for my site? It's about stuff you can make for your hamster :D

Hugs
07-06-2008, 04:36 AM
This sounds like a great idea, I am going to get making :D I think it will also be good for our Gerbil and Degus. Will try and see if they like them and report back here.

Hamster marbles sound good too - are they from the naturals range?

Hugs
07-06-2008, 06:14 AM
I have just sat and made 6 of these, One for each of the small furies (Gerbil, 2 degus and the 3 hammys)

Thyme (the gerbil) took a while to work out quite what it was all about, 15 minutes later there is no trace of it in her cage, and shes eaten the dari cob and little dog biscuits I put in it, and gone back to digging! :mrgreen:

Custard and Doris (Robo and Winter White respectively) both took a slow approach. Mr Syrian is still asleep and is yet to discover this alien ball thing hourbouring a tasty treat :lol:

The Degus, well Daniel (the female) took no time at all to throw them off the top of the nest box, I think in the hope that they would break and spill their goods, only this didn't work, so she then pulled them apart with her paws and dashed off with the prize. Poor Jack (male) just sat there bewildered as usual! Jack takes a bit longer to work these things out, generally, Daniel is the one with the brains!

NaomiR
07-07-2008, 10:58 AM
Mr Syrian is still asleep and is yet to discover this alien ball thing hourbouring a tasty treat :lol:

What Mr Syrian you must tell all immediately!!!

PinkEmily
07-07-2008, 01:11 PM
Great idea! Chip would have loved that! I bet my other hams wouldnt be bothered

Hugs
07-07-2008, 02:20 PM
Mr Syrian is still asleep and is yet to discover this alien ball thing hourbouring a tasty treat :lol:

What Mr Syrian you must tell all immediately!!!

I think you have found the offending thread :wink:

He's a clever little boy, he managed to remove all the treats from the ball and either not disturb the rings, or put it back together :shock:

pophammy
07-14-2008, 10:40 AM
I made one of these for Lola as a test to see if she liked it, and she demolished it in about 15 minutes! She enjoyed chewing on the cardboard and the treats though. I then made one each for our hams before we went on holiday. A week later there was no trace of Napoleon's, Lola had a pile of cardboard rings left and Bingley had somehow managed to get the treats out whilst leaving the ball intact :shock: , but Kipton and Pringle hadn't touched theirs.Ithink that this is a very good idea, and all our Syrians really enjoyed them, but I don't think the Dwarfs really understood what to do! :lol:

dianatudor
08-01-2008, 01:24 AM
I have to make one for my 2 winter whites. Thanks a bunch for the idea. It's ok if I will use nuts or peanuts instead of a dog biscuit?
:P

arikata
08-02-2008, 06:16 AM
I have to make one for my 2 winter whites. Thanks a bunch for the idea. It's ok if I will use nuts or peanuts instead of a dog biscuit?
:P

You can use whatever you wish :D The sky (and whatever is edible for hammies) is your limit :lol:

durza123
08-17-2008, 04:18 AM
I made one for my hamster and put her fav treat , peanuts, and she ate the cardboard and left the peanut!! :shock:

arikata
08-17-2008, 10:54 AM
I made one for my hamster and put her fav treat , peanuts, and she ate the cardboard and left the peanut!! :shock:

LOL!!

djp2k8
08-19-2008, 04:42 PM
I would love to make one for old man foghorn (a favourite saying of my friend) Terry, but I know him, he would sniff it once & then just leave it, but I think I will give it a go for my two rats. One of my girls seems to have a thing with loo rolls recently :lol:.

Pinkchi
08-19-2008, 04:48 PM
As i'm awake at such a silly hour i saw this post and had a strange urge to make some...

I now have 3 treatballs sat on the table looking at me and i must admit im quite impressed with them :D

Just hope Trev likes them...looking at them i think they are as big as he is :lol:

arikata
08-20-2008, 11:59 AM
I've had a rotten cold lately so I've been going through toilet rolls like it was going out of fashion as I can't afford decent tissues due to an unexpected vets bill. I now have a nose like rudolf but lots of treat balls, one per hamster! Woo!

djp2k8
08-20-2008, 01:18 PM
I've had a rotten cold lately so I've been going through toilet rolls like it was going out of fashion as I can't afford decent tissues due to an unexpected vets bill. I now have a nose like rudolf but lots of treat balls, one per hamster! Woo!
I was the same recently, lasted two weeks. My nose was running non stop for about 5 days. I've got a few used loo rolls around, well until Sandee hid them all :lol:.

liam4mail
09-14-2008, 06:09 AM
Oh he loved that!

What are hamster marbles?

Would you mind if I used this idea for my site? It's about stuff you can make for your hamster :D

Katzilla that sounds like a great site. I must check it out.

stripeybea
09-18-2008, 02:45 PM
i will have to get making some of these treat balls as bea has turned up her nose at boring old loo rolls and moves them to an out of the way corner of her cage before retuning to sleep or begs to be played with. she never has enough toys. :D

Hana
09-20-2008, 11:49 AM
I'll have to try and make some of these for my hams, though I expect they will be totally ignored! :lol:

stripeybea
10-05-2008, 09:30 AM
i made one of these the other night for bea as she loves chewing.
However....
it was gone in about 30seconds flat, but she looked so smug having taken less time to get it open and find the treat then it took me to make it that it was all worth it in the end thanx for the great idea.
:mrgreen:

Neggy
10-12-2008, 03:42 PM
Made one for The Chibster, she showed a bit of interest and then abandoned it. So much for her keen sense of smell, that or she doesn't like rodent marbles.

Cat-J
07-13-2009, 03:44 PM
This is such a good idea! Milo's had his now

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j150/Twinkle-blonde/th_Milotreatball.jpg (http://s79.photobucket.com/albums/j150/Twinkle-blonde/?action=view&current=Milotreatball.flv)

Lellibo
07-14-2009, 12:43 AM
I love these i'm gonna have to make one of these when i get my hamster

Mou_Mou
08-29-2009, 03:20 PM
thank you for the idea, i love the fact that it took literally 60 seconds to make. mou mou went straight for it and got chewing away, definitely a great suggestion!

merita
08-31-2009, 01:20 PM
Great idea, quick and cheap to make too. Koda had a few nibbles at first, but has completely ignored it since. I've tried changing the treat inside a couple of times but he never shows it much attention other than a couple of nibbles, before walking away and ignoring it - fussy little wotnot :evil:

Ceretrea
09-29-2009, 12:04 PM
Going to try this out on the whole gang..great idea!

Fidgetthefirst
12-22-2009, 02:09 AM
I'm going to make one for my lazy syrian hamster - he probably wont play with it at all :D

PrincessPinkchi
01-01-2010, 10:20 AM
Instant Inspiration! :)
Thanks for posting this, I'm gonna go make my little hamster one right now!
Best of all its quick, easy and free!

Fidgetthefirst
01-03-2010, 12:21 PM
Milo were the least bit impressed - or interested

minky-doo
06-05-2011, 03:11 AM
This is amazing! I put one in Taco's cage last night and just filled it with his regular mix because he'd already eaten his couple of bits of fruit and veg for the week and I don't really have any treats from shops..but regular food actually worked great! Every time he tried grabbing it it would make a rustling noise too to egg him on to get inside :)
His tactic appeared to be to just roll it along and collect them as they dropped out the holes :) Although he had a go biting it a couple of times :)

The interesting thing is he was doing this right next to a bowl of fresh mix, which I think either shows he is not very clever at all for going for the harder option, or he found trying to get them out of the ball a lot more fun than just out of the dish :) (I'd like to think the latter)

Really recommend making one of these! Really cute to watch and fun for the hammy!