PDA

View Full Version : RIP Daisy

posie1970
08-23-2013, 12:45 PM
This post is being made in fond memory of my little Campbell's Dwarf hamster, Daisy.

I discovered she'd passed away this evening. She's curled on her side and looks like she is sleeping, so I hope she didn't suffer too much.

Daisy had recently undergone surgery to remove a tumour from her leg. In fact, the vet had to amputate the affect limb and we were all staggered when she seemed to be making such a miraculous recovery. You can read about her leg here:
Amputee Hamster (http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/hamster-healthcare/43796-amputee-hamster.html)

I'm so, so sad about this poor little hammie and I still have to break the news to my five year old tomorrow. :(

Sleep well Daisy. We'll miss you xxx

The Hamster's family
08-23-2013, 01:01 PM
I am sooo sorry fo your loss... =( Remember that she felt loved, cared for and that is something very precious... She will be running again at the Bridge...

Run free, precious one... Enjoy the Bridge and all its goodies...

Annie xx

HamsterCrazy2013
08-23-2013, 02:09 PM
Im so sorry for your loss. Rip Daisy. x

icklemunch
08-23-2013, 03:18 PM
So sorry for you loss.

Daisy was such a little fighter. Run free at the bridge little one x

isold
08-23-2013, 09:35 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss :(

DrKMcK
08-23-2013, 09:58 PM
I'm so sorry that she passed away. It's going to be difficult for your son to accept but he needs to know that you did everything you could to help her. It's quite likely that her tumor had already spread by the time she had her surgery, although no one, not even the doctor, could know that. Let him talk about it and answer his questions as honestly as you can. Share your sadness too. Death happens in all our lives. It's really how it's handled that makes the strongest impact on children. It's okay for him to feel sad, mad, confused and angry. I'm an adult and I hate it when I lose one of these little furries. Hugs to you and your son and {gentle hammy pats} from my hammy crew.
I would wait a bit before getting another hammy, but I would get another. Don't let this very short experience be your son's only one with these lovely little friends.

racinghamster
08-24-2013, 01:36 AM
I`m so sad to hear that Daisy passed away. :( She was doing so well after her surgery. There may have been underlying problems that you didn`t know were there posie. Rest in peace Daisy, you were a brave little soul and will be missed. x

posie1970
08-24-2013, 07:04 AM
Thank you all for your kind messages.

My little boy has had a really tough day of it. He saw the empty cage this morning, so I had to explain what had happened before breakfast. We buried Daisy afterwards and I let him have quiet time to say goodbye on his own.

He has been asking questions all day long and even refused to go to a friend's birthday party this afternoon. His initial emotion was anger but that gave way to a few tears earlier this afternoon.

I've explained it all as best I can (thank you to DrKMcK, racinghamster and Souffle for their very helpful suggestions) and hopefully tomorrow will be easier for us both.

We still have a lovely little dwarf hammie called Rosie, but Daisy was his favourite of the two because of her special colour and red eyes.

We miss her terribly and I'm glad I have place at this forum to talk about it all xxx

racinghamster
08-24-2013, 09:49 AM
It must be difficult for a child to understand life and death the way an adult does and anger will probably feed from the frustration felt. It`s a terrible feeling even for an adult owner when their little pet dies but we know that this can happen and accept the loss as either unexplained, or due to something we knew could be a cause for the demise.

It`s nice that you still have little Rosie to focus on and hopefully she will rally your son`s emotions again. x

Pompompoms
08-26-2013, 11:46 AM
I'm so sorry, it sounds like Daisy put up a real fight to heal after her surgery. It sounds like she passed very peacefully, play well little lady xx

souffle
08-28-2013, 03:52 AM
So sorry to hear of your loss. You gave her every chance and she tried so hard too but she knew she was loved and her path was gentle.
Play well at the bridge Daisy x

DrKMcK
08-30-2013, 07:02 PM
Time will help both of you. I'm glad Rosie's there. One thing to remember...You loved Daisy, and that's what's important. You did all you could and she went peacefully. Look up "The Rainbow Bridge" and share it with your son. It's beautiful.

WendyAnne
08-30-2013, 08:05 PM
So very sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved Daisy.