PDA

View Full Version : hello

FrecklesMom
09-04-2005, 11:02 PM
Hi, I just found this sight and thought I'd check it out. I have a hairless Syrian hamster. Her name is Freckles. I've had her a few months and think she's the prettiest naked hammie....the hubby doesn't agree.lol. She's also the sweetest hamster I've ever had!!

I also have 6 guinea pigs, 5 dogs, 5 cats, 2 cockatiels, 1 quaker, 2 rabbits, many freshwater and saltwater tanks, two russian tortoises, 2 map turtles, 10 snakes, toads, tree frogs, a two rats....whew, that gets all the kids...hahaha

Anyway, here's my sweet little Freckles....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/cdp/Freckles8-26-05.jpg

pophammy
09-05-2005, 07:31 AM
Aww she is a sweetie and looks such a little character. I guess she is double satinised which leads to hairless or very thin coated hamsters. Do you need to give her any special care with her having no fur? Hope you enjoy the site. Its great fun and you'll soon make lots of friends

SnuggleHam
09-05-2005, 09:57 AM
Welcome FrecklesMom, I believe you are the first person I know of that has a hairless hamster on the forum. I must say they do look rather funny, but I just need to remember that essentially they all look the same under the fur hehe :oops:

Wow you have quite a collection of pets, you must have a lot of room for all those pets! I can't image the expense is must be to care for all those critters! I personally have two cats, eight gerbils, two hamsters, a 75 gallon fish tank and one lovebird..

I love birds by the way :wink: I've owned and bred cockatiels before and hand raised a teil chick as well as the lovebird I have now. Although I've never owned a Quaker I hear they are very similar to lovebirds in behavior. So if you ever wanna talk birds then I’m here! 8) heh :oops:

How did you find the site might I asK? search engine?

flogging_molly
09-05-2005, 10:25 AM
Wow such a collection of pets, Freckles looks great! I must admit Ii'm not a fan of the hairless variety but I do find them extremely interesting and fascinating. Can't wait to see you more and hear about Freckles and her friends.

Welcome to the forum!

rhian
09-05-2005, 10:42 AM
Awww, I think she's cute. I really like her ears. :) Welcome!

nooboo
09-05-2005, 11:49 AM
she does have impressive ears!

so many pets, I am so jealous but at least this flat allowed me hamsters, for the last 7 years I haven't been able to have pets.

always wanted a tortoise how hard are they to care for? also want seahorses but I hear they are not good for beginners

FrecklesMom
09-05-2005, 07:28 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/cdp/6-8-05.jpg

Thanks everyone.

Yes, I did a search. I figured since there's a forum for all my other animal kids then there had to be a hamster one.

As fas as her care, she can't have anything in her cage than could scratch her and no regular hamster tunnels. Having no hair could get her stuck and rip her skin. She's very cold natured and gets little chill bumps all over. Thankfully for her, my livingroom during the summer is alot warmer than the rest of the house...old house. We're going to hook her up with a small undertank heater during the winter.

Candace, what room? hahaha, there's none left. That was all taken up when the Great Dane got here at 3wks of age and grew up...still growing too. I'm a tech in a vet clinic and most of my hairy animals were rescues that I either bottle raised or nursed back to health. I have one guinea pig with front legs that were badly broken at a very young age and not fixed. I drove 3 hours to get him from a kill shelter that was feeding him cat food only. His legs weren't fixable either but he's the healtiest happy little pig. And fast too!

nooboo, I love her ears!

I had a seahorse tank set up and ready to go for over an year. I could never find any captive bred that I could afford. Lots of places sell wildcaught but that's a bad idea.

Tortoises are great. I did lots of research online about them before I got the 1st and they take some work. Kingsnake.com has lots of info about them.

here's Freckles when I 1st got her...

SnuggleHam
09-06-2005, 04:44 AM
Hmm are the hairless hamsters not the Syrian variety? You let your two hamsters just walk around near each other like that and they don’t fight? I really don’t know much about the hairless hamster but I’m sure that is some genetic defect, not something found in the wild.. am I right?

I would imagine that if it was from the Syrian variety then they should be treated as such? Perhaps you can give me a bit of background them?

FrecklesMom
09-06-2005, 08:16 PM
I only had the other hamster for about 2 days. A friend took her.

Yes, she's a hairless Syrian. It would take me too long to type this all out so

Hamsterific.com has info about them.

babyboos
09-07-2005, 03:53 AM
Aww she is a sweetie and looks such a little character. I guess she is double satinised which leads to hairless or very thin coated hamsters. Do you need to give her any special care with her having no fur? Hope you enjoy the site. It's great fun and you'll soon make lots of friends

Double satin does tend to make the fur very thin and sparce but a true hairless hamster has no hair anywhere on it's body. My hairless had no eyelashes, whiskers, anything :? I used Carefresh on its own for litter and the usual toilet tissue bedding.

Kingsnake.com is a great site too for anyone interested in reptiles etc.. I found it when my best friend got a Californina Kingsnake :twisted: Nah Zed is a lovely guy (or girl) though I can't stand feeding time :cry:

jon
12-19-2005, 09:22 AM
Awww how nice does the hairless hammy look?!?!! I want one...

I will put adverts up for a WANTED HAIRLESS in the area of London.UK now.

i-love-paddy
12-19-2005, 09:31 AM
I think Freckles is just adorable! :lol:

Emma
12-19-2005, 02:46 PM
There are very few hairless hamsters in the UK jon.....FrecklesMom I'm guessing you're the other side of the pond?