PDA

View Full Version : Homemade items with glue!

Sparkles mummy
08-16-2013, 07:13 AM
Just to let you all know I have sent a message to my vetanary practice to find out about the safely of the non toxic glues that are being used to make products for our hamster and this is the reply I got

"To be honest we wouldn't advise you take the risk no matter how non toxic says the the glue is. You don't want the risk of her eating it. You could make her something but not have it in her cage permenanly, only let her use it when you are supervising, then take it away."

Just though I would let you all know

Rosebud
08-16-2013, 08:21 AM
I wonder what type of glue they use to stick wooden houses etc together with. A lot of mine have been glued

StuCil
08-16-2013, 08:21 AM
Wow thanks for the info! Well I did make some homemade stuff with non toxic glue back then. My hams seemed to be sniffing on them, but nothing else, had it permanently in the cage for a while, and thanks God nothing happened to them. Maybe it isnt that dangerous but nobody wants to risk their little hams health right? I guess it's much better to always supervise them

Sparkles mummy
08-16-2013, 08:30 AM
Rosebud- I'm not sure I suppose they dont really have that problem at the vets as animals don't really spend too long there. But I would like to know what company's use that make animal products.

Stucil - maybe, I thought it was worth asking though as my vetanary practice have a Facebook page so people can contact them on it or ask questions. I think it's ok if they don't nibble much, but as you said no one wants to risk their hammys health. I also think that no one would say it is safe and completely ok as people don't want to risk getting it wrong. As no one would want to be blamed for causing Ill health to an animal

squishyhammy
08-16-2013, 08:48 AM
If they don't chee much it's fine it also may be that they sat that so if something dies happen they don't get the blame.

Rosebud
08-16-2013, 08:57 AM
Rosebud- I'm not sure I suppose they dont really have that problem at the vets as animals don't really spend too long there. But I would like to know what company's use that make animal products.

Stucil - maybe, I thought it was worth asking though as my vetanary practice have a Facebook page so people can contact them on it or ask questions. I think it's ok if they don't nibble much, but as you said no one wants to risk their hammys health. I also think that no one would say it is safe and completely ok as people don't want to risk getting it wrong. As no one would want to be blamed for causing Ill health to an animal

Sorry, wasn't very clear. I meant the animal product hamster houses, but I imagine the producers of those probably aren't that bothered.

Sparkles mummy
08-16-2013, 09:02 AM
Yeah I guess so, I did think that too, but. I thought I would pass it on as we all love our little hammys, my Sparkle is a bit of a chewer ATM but she is still young and has only been here 11days.. Still going to make her something though just keep it for out of cage play for a while until she isnt as into chewing things..,
Also which Make of wood dowels do you use?

Sparkles mummy
08-16-2013, 09:03 AM
Sorry, wasn't very clear. I meant the animal product hamster houses, but I imagine the producers of those probably aren't that bothered.

Ahh ok, I guess along as they follow certain guidelines and make it as risk free as possible then their backs are covered...

mouseandstrawberry
08-16-2013, 10:09 AM
Of course a vet would say that, they would advice against any chemical of any kind, ask them about plastikote and you would get the same response. They have to 'cover their back' so to speak.

Most wood procuts on the market have glue in holding it together, hamsters aren;t massive chewers and they have the sense not to eat dried glue.

I've never had a problem and i use it when i make my own stuff for all my pets. Been doing it at home and with working with animals and never had an issue.

Must have made toys for hundreds of animals, rodents, rabbits etc

BrainGirl
08-16-2013, 10:16 AM
My local chinchilla breeder and supplier (and other chinchilla suppliers that I know of) uses white glue to put together her chinchilla chew toys. Chins are big chewers and it's safe for them, once it's dry of course, so I would feel ok using it to make hamster toys.