PDA

View Full Version : Play well at the bridge, my Silvered Princess

Kiki_3173
08-01-2013, 05:38 PM
As many of you have already read, my little Smudge has passed. I'm still so shocked that I am writing her memorial because she seemed fine a week ago, Tuesday. Never in a million years did I think I’d be burying her that very next day. I am going to try to get through this…it will be hard, but my precious “Silvered Princess” deserves to be acknowledged and our amazing story told. I apologize for the length in advance.

Smudge was absolutely the best hamster to begin my adult hamster owning days with! I couldn’t have asked for a better, fuzzy, companion. I always equate her story to the play “Annie” because my little Smudge went from rags, to riches.

Our story starts back in January. I didn’t intend on getting any other hamsters after Darwin, but I read an article online about a large number of animals confiscated from a house, by the SPCA, in my area. The animals were being used for breeding to sell at a local flea market. There was a link to the SPCA website, which included pictures of all the animals that were being put up for adoption. Curiously, I perused the pictures they had on the website and as I got to the bottom of the page, there was the saddest looking hamster I’d ever seen. She was in a tiny cage that had rusted bars and no wheel. She was hunched in the corner and looked so…alone. I just sat and stared at this poor little ball of fluff and my heart ached for her. She had the most unique coloring…I’d never seen a hamster that color before. She looked all sooty and smudged, like she had run loose through my fireplace. I just HAD to go see her. I jumped in the car and drove the 35 minutes to SPCA. I walked into the hamster room and saw that rusted cage right away (couldn’t miss it). I peered in and there, in her hidey, was that poor little hamster. She cautiously stuck her nose out of her hidey…and I absolutely melted! At that moment I knew she had a safe, forever, home.

From that point on she had me wrapped around her little paw! She was cautious at first, but I quickly gained her trust (on her terms of course) and she became the friendliest little girl. I was attached right away. I couldn’t take my eyes off of her. She was inquisitive and very rarely afraid of anything…a HUGE personality, in a tiny body. I was obsessed with walking over to her tank and just watching her. Somehow, she always knew I was there. No matter how quiet I thought I was, as soon as I got to her tank she would come crawling up out of her nest to meet me:) I learned, from a great friend on HC, jesselle, that Smudge’s unique and beautiful coloring was that she most likely had strong Campbell’s genes because she looked just like silvered black Campbell’s. From that day on she was nicknamed “The Silvered Princess” by my HC friend DrMcK:)

Around February I had my first indication that she wasn’t completely healthy. She had some bleeding that came and went. We had a vet visit and received some medicine. I prayed it would work, but unfortunately, she began to develop a tumor on her tummy, above her right hind leg. But that didn’t stop my feisty little girl. She just kept on with the same vigor that she always had. There were tons of play times on my bed, in the tub, and in her playpen. She loved to be out and about and on the go!

In April Smudge began bleeding again…by May it was almost daily and I knew my time with her was going to be much shorter than I’d truly anticipated, which hurt my heart! I wasn’t sure how long I’d really have with her so I continued to spend as much time playing and cuddling with her, as I could, trying not to have a heavy heart each and every time I went to her cage. She began to slow down a little, sleep more, and she also began to drop in weight (probably not noticeable to anyone else, but I knew). By this time her entire back had silvered (most likely showing her age). In early June Smudge developed a second tumor on her chest, which grew rapidly and I knew my beautiful girl was slowly slipping away from me day by day. I vowed (as much as it hurt to think of losing her) that I would not let her suffer…and if the time came that I needed to help her along to the Bridge, I most certainly would be there with her until the end. But as a slightly stubborn Smudgie would do…she kept on truckin’;)

All that being said, it was still a heartbreaking shock to see my little furbaby struggling with her breath, the night of June 24th. I took her out of her cage, cuddled her, and talked to her while I stroked her tiny head. I tried to give her some water via syringe and she took a little, but she wouldn’t eat. I checked on her several times through the night and by morning she was struggling just as much. I again tried to give her water, but this time…she wouldn’t take it…and I knew it was time. Again, I held her, cuddled her, and told her that it was ok to go if she needed to. I told her how it was amazing that even though she was this tiny little creature, she had touched my heart in the biggest way! She was still holding on, so I called my vets and made an appointment to help her to the bridge. Little did I know, that Smudgie had listened to me earlier, she just needed to do things on her own time, like always. She passed a little while later in my hands.

Mudgie Moo, I love you so much. More than I ever thought I would be able to love a little fuzzbutt. You were my special girl! All I ever wanted was to spoil you rotten and give you the best life I possibly could. I hope that you are happy where ever you are because that is all I've ever wanted for you. To be honest, I’m not sure who rescued who, but…it may have been a little of both. I was blessed the day you came to live with me! I just wish it could have been for longer. Rest in peace my Silvered Princess. Thank you for the wonderful memories<3

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s208/Kiki_3173/Lil%20Smudge/DSCF3081_zps4c1b1c2e.jpg (http://s153.photobucket.com/user/Kiki_3173/media/Lil%20Smudge/DSCF3081_zps4c1b1c2e.jpg.html) http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s208/Kiki_3173/Lil%20Smudge/DSCF3394_zpsd9f53a79.jpg (http://s153.photobucket.com/user/Kiki_3173/media/Lil%20Smudge/DSCF3394_zpsd9f53a79.jpg.html) http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s208/Kiki_3173/Lil%20Smudge/CAM01515-1_zps170e7d69.jpg (http://s153.photobucket.com/user/Kiki_3173/media/Lil%20Smudge/CAM01515-1_zps170e7d69.jpg.html) http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s208/Kiki_3173/Lil%20Smudge/CAM01832_zps25ba742a.jpg (http://s153.photobucket.com/user/Kiki_3173/media/Lil%20Smudge/CAM01832_zps25ba742a.jpg.html)

And of course...who could forget:
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s208/Kiki_3173/Lil%20Smudge/DSCF3242_zpsa798987d.jpg (http://s153.photobucket.com/user/Kiki_3173/media/Lil%20Smudge/DSCF3242_zpsa798987d.jpg.html)

The Hamster's family
08-01-2013, 07:18 PM
Ohhhhh.... I am soo sorry for your little girl having to leave you... I appreciated your memorial a lot and it made me love her... She did change something in you and it will remain with you for ever... I hope her love lift you up and makes you celebrate love... at its purest form...

Run free, little princess... Keep protecting that special someone you left behind from the Bridge...

Annie xx

gutterglitterxx
08-01-2013, 07:40 PM
This is a beautiful memorial for a beautiful girl. She was lucky to have the time she did with you.

RIP Smudge. Play well, run free, sleep tight. xxxx

FurFinFeathers
08-01-2013, 07:46 PM
So sorry for your loss :( She seemed like such a sweet girl, and she was obviously adorable. RIP Smudge, you are loved and missed <3

Sparkle
08-01-2013, 11:06 PM
Sorry for your loss.

jesselle
08-01-2013, 11:51 PM
This is a beautiful memorial :) You and Smudge werre definitely blessed to find each other.

What a special little hammy. X

racinghamster
08-02-2013, 04:02 AM
What a beautiful little hamster Smudge was and she had a larger than life character that just jumped off the page. A life shortened and taken away is so unfair, but what she shared with you kiki and all of us on Hamster Central, will always be remembered. x

Nikkigrace
08-02-2013, 05:01 AM
Kiki what a beautiful memorial for such an amazing little girl. You know how much I loved Smudge and she had a special place in my heart from the moment I saw her on here!! Such a sweet little girl but full of cheekiness at the same time.

I will miss seeing her pretty little face around and I hope you find peace and comfort in the fact that she is now free from pain and having a great time up there.

Run free gorgeous girl xxx

HamsterCrazy2013
08-02-2013, 05:22 AM
Im so sorry for your loss Kiki_3173. Smudge was very beautiful. This was a lovely memorial you did for her too. x

evel_lin
08-02-2013, 05:26 AM
Beautiful memorial to a beautiful girl. I'm sorry your time together was so short :( Sleep peacefully Silvered Princess

Munchalot
08-02-2013, 05:32 AM
That was a lovely memorial, at the end I may have had a little tear in my eye. :)

I'm so sorry your little girl had to leave you, but she had such a wonderful time with you. I'm glad you picked her up that day and gave her the amazing second chance that you did.

Sleep well little one. xx

Ang90
08-02-2013, 07:27 AM
Thank God for people like you, you proved to be her saving angel and gave her a wonderful life full of love. She is no doubt romping around heaven now with new friends and saving a place for you. Love Ang, Honey (a rather portly female ginger/white Syrian) and Joey (a dove Syrian).

DrKMcK
08-02-2013, 08:07 AM
Ah Kiki, such a beautiful memorial for a beautiful little princess. I had a whole lot more than a tear in my eye. I don't know what was in Smudge's life before you rescued her, but her life after hopefully made up for whatever hardship she went through. All five of those photos are favorites of mine, especially the first and last. How does something that small have such a huge impact on us? I'm especially glad Smudge was a HC hammy so she could be seen and loved by so many other people. Bye Little Silvered Princess. Play well and forever in peace beautiful girl. :'(

Axeria
08-02-2013, 09:32 AM
This memorial was absolutly beautiful, it brought tears to my eyes... She was such a cute hamster, I am glad she came to you... It is obvious that she had a really good life with you...

Play well on the bridge Smudge, you where a joy to follow! Xx

Syrian Hammy
08-02-2013, 10:18 AM
What a beautiful memorial. Smudge was a gorgeous hamster. She couldn't of asked for a better home with you.

Sleep well little one.

hikaru
08-02-2013, 12:35 PM
This is a beautiful memorial. The last picture made me smile though.
Sleep well sweet little angel <3

littlescruffies
08-02-2013, 01:56 PM
So sad to read this, she was a gorgeous girl.
Goodnight smudge xx

ANGELBABIES
08-02-2013, 02:04 PM
Beautiful little Smudge - what a lovely fluff you have been. I have enjoyed all your photos. So glad you found your way to your mommy before you had to go to the Rainbow Bridge. Run free little sweetheart - glad you had plenty of love. xxx

j.j.
08-02-2013, 03:30 PM
Im so sorry Kiki to hear about Smudge's passing. I really haven't been online all that much and came to HC and saw this. She definitely was a special little thing with an equally special "mommy". Sending positive thoughts your way!!!

kimlck
08-02-2013, 05:33 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss Kiki, your Princess touched many hearts.
Beautiful Smudge, play well xx

Biscotti
08-04-2013, 11:14 AM
I'm very sorry to hear that Smudge had passed. She was a princess through and through, and I love her so much through your words and pictures here on HC. It's always seem so incredible to me how much a quick decision of kindness and dramatically change two lives for the better, and not only that, but to bring joy to us all. Sleep tight little one and play well at the bridge.

Alxandra
08-06-2013, 07:24 AM
My condolences. Our little furry friends have flameful lives. They burn bright but unfortunately their little fires are only brief moments in our lives. Smudge always was a little fire of a hamster, and she will be sorely missed.

@Kiki - This is Alxandra of Rittles and Bittles, just in case you don't recognize me.

souffle
08-12-2013, 07:09 AM
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Your tribute is quite beautiful and shows how much loved she was.
Play well at the bridge Smudge x

luxbear
08-12-2013, 07:40 AM
Your tribute is wonderful, I know your ham will be sorely missed. <3

Play well with my Petunia at the bridge, little one!

Kiki_3173
08-12-2013, 04:38 PM
Thank you, everyone, SO very much for the kind words regarding Smudge's passing. She was quite a big personality in a tiny little body & she will be greatly missed, but she left me with some fantastic memories and, as I mentioned in my memorial, a newfound love for hamsters as an adult. I'm sure she's causing a little ruckus at the bridge, as cheeky as she was;-). OR she's hanging over the bridge like this:

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s208/Kiki_3173/Lil%20Smudge/DSCF3242_zpsa798987d.jpg (http://s153.photobucket.com/user/Kiki_3173/media/Lil%20Smudge/DSCF3242_zpsa798987d.jpg.html)

Again, thank you:-)

-Kerri xx

Pompompoms
08-26-2013, 11:34 AM
That pic is fantastic, I'm so sorry to read about Smudge, a beautiful tribute to a beautiful little one xx