PDA

View Full Version : bin cages

melissa35246
06-14-2013, 12:26 PM
Is half inch wire mesh too wide for a robo? I have never had one before so I don't really know what kind of space they can fit through.

I read once that rats can't have galvanized wire because it poisons them if they chew on it. Does the same rule apply to hamsters?

Luhren
06-14-2013, 01:40 PM
Is half inch wire mesh too wide for a robo? I have never had one before so I don't really know what kind of space they can fit through.
Half inch is the perfect size. I use it for my robo and he couldn't fit if he tried.
I read once that rats can't have galvanized wire because it poisons them if they chew on it. Does the same rule apply to hamsters?
I'm not sure if galvanized wire is bad for hamsters. My hamster isn't much of a chewer so it's never posed a problem. If your hamster is a chewer or you're just concerned, place the side mesh JUST out of his reach. It'll be low enough for proper air flow and high enough to avoid chewing. I place my mesh a bit higher as well because I worry about the cat trying to swat at him(hasn't happened yet, but it's good to be safe). :)

Truffle
06-14-2013, 01:51 PM
I don't know about galvanized wire... but half a inch seems the perfect size for a hamster. Good luck making your bin cage :)

Jessie
06-14-2013, 02:03 PM
My dad breeds rabbits ad he uses galvanized for them, I use it for any cages I make myself and I have never ever had a problem. Never lost a critter to anything I could not explain so imo I have never lost one to the galvanized wire. I would go right ahead and use it.

melissa35246
06-14-2013, 04:41 PM
Thanks everyone! That means that I don't have to buy a whole new roll of mesh when I make my new bins! My Syrian isn't much of a chewer, I was more concerned for my future robos (if that is what I decide to get.) But I'll just try to put it up a little higher.