PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Oreo the survivor

PetHamster
06-13-2013, 10:44 AM
Please read all. I know its long but for someone to hear his story I'm sure it would make me and him both the happiest things on Heaven and earth.

Oreo's story:
Oreo was my best friend since the day I got him. He was a spunky little black and white ball of fluff. I got him in a tiny little cage until I got him a big cage and then another one so he would be happy. I got him a ball to play in and he was best friends with the cat when he was in it. He was always so sweet and he NEVER onetime bit me. He started getting old and the black fur turned to gray. He still loved to be held and played with in old age. Then one day he didn't touch his food or treats... I took him out of his cage only to find that he had a stroke. He couldn't walk without falling over but he still wanted to be loved on. I got him some baby food and a eye dropper for water and fed him morning and night. He got so much better to where he could eat and drink on his own again! I was so happy and thanked the Lord for granting me more time with him. About a month later he started losing more hair on his head and his back. I took him out and played with him as much as I could. Then he started sneezing and it seeming like he was almost coughing even. He stopped eating again slept all day long and straight through the night he slept and slept still. I went to clean his cage and it smelled horrid. I took him out of him nest and he kept mostly still and moved little. He had diarrhea... His entire nest was wet and horrible. He would move and attempt to walk and move but he still had trouble walking anyways because of the stroke's long term damage to his brain. He could walk but then fall upside down on his back and then get up again. I knew he was old and I knew what was happening... He was slipping away from me and there was nothing I could do... I put him back in his newly cleaned nest and let him be for I knew that the best thing I could do for him is to make him comfortable... I woke up the next morning expecting the worst but he was still in his bed... Alive... Breathing... But I couldn't bring myself to say living as that is all he did... Sleep and breath slowly dieing and all I could do is watch as my best friend drifted away. He remained like that, sleeping and I knew I should let him rest but I also knew he was dieing. I wanted to spend our last moments together with him in my arms, so I took him out and held him and stroked his soft head... Until his Breath was gone and body was cold and I then put him back in his soft, clean bed to seal the deal. I cried as I put him in a tiny box and and buried him under a homemade bamboo cross made just for him. I walked back inside only to see the empty cage and empty nest. I couldn't stop sobbing and begging God to give him back. But I know now that he is happy in that big hamster ball in the sky and all I ever wanted is for him to be happy... And now he is.

R.I.P. Oreo- 6/07/13 3:30 PM

The Hamster's family
06-13-2013, 10:55 AM
Ohhhh... I'm so sorry for your loss... But liek you said, he is now happy and watching over you like you watched over him... He is pain free and able to walk properly and run just like when he was young ! I hope memories you shared with him will soon become soothing and a reason to smile... Again, I'm very sorry...

Enjoy the Bridge, special one... Blow a kiss to that special someone you left behind...

Annie xx

PetHamster
06-13-2013, 11:00 AM
Ohhhh... I'm so sorry for your loss... But liek you said, he is now happy and watching over you like you watched over him... He is pain free and able to walk properly and run just like when he was young ! I hope memories you shared with him will soon become soothing and a reason to smile... Again, I'm very sorry...

Enjoy the Bridge, special one... Blow a kiss to that special someone you left behind...

Annie xx

Thank you, I have to admit, when I read this comment I started crying because I know that if I cry and beg for him back it is just me being selfish and trying to hold him back for my happiness. He is happy like you said and can now be healthy and happy. I just wish I was with him too...

evel_lin
06-13-2013, 11:10 AM
He sounds like a very special ham, I'm glad he was able to go peacefully and feeling loved

Gazmo
06-14-2013, 03:01 AM
i am so so sorry.. that made me cry..

PetHamster
06-14-2013, 09:48 AM
Thank you all.
I think now that he is gone and I have no other hamsters that I will stop using my account on HC because honestly anything that has to do with my little buddy hurts me to look at. I don't think I will be getting any hammies again any time soon because as they are the best, sweetest, cutest animals ever, they just don't live long enough. Trust me though, it was completely worth the pain to have been a part of Oreo's life.
I will be posting a good bye thread in the Misc. section.
Please everyone come, I would love to thank you with all my heart.

Pompompoms
06-18-2013, 05:02 PM
I am just catching up in this section, what a lovely memorial to Oreo, it's clear you loved him very much, and he was so special to you. He will be fine at the bridge, health restored running free with all our dearly missed little ones till it's time for you to see him again. Play well little one xx

PetHamster, I understand your decision, it really is hard when you lose a little one, and to come here sometimes is difficult seeing everyone else so happy with their hams. I always take a little break when I lose a little fluff, a couple of days is all I need. Take as long as you like, we will always be here if you ever wish to return xx

souffle
07-04-2013, 03:06 AM
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I hope in time you will look back and smile at the good memories. Play well at the bridge Oreo - you were much loved x