PDA

View Full Version : Marking as read?

Bailey-Benji
06-02-2008, 04:19 AM
Hi,

This has nothing to do with the new layout - I've been meaning to ask for a while now!

But when I go into boards and come out of the topics the icon doesn't change colour to show that it's been read...so silly me keeps going into the same boards and seeing the topics I've already read. I was wondering if that's normal? Am I supposed to mark everything as read myself?

Thanks

SnuggleHam
06-02-2008, 04:31 AM
Hi,

This has nothing to do with the new layout - I've been meaning to ask for a while now!

But when I go into boards and come out of the topics the icon doesn't change colour to show that it's been read...so silly me keeps going into the same boards and seeing the topics I've already read. I was wondering if that's normal? Am I supposed to mark everything as read myself?

Thanks

Hmmmmm! :shock: Before there was a problem where new threads wouldn't stay marked! I'm not sure about the marked as read problem. I did just try and see for myself if I could reproduce the issue. I tried to look at a thread that was highlighted, and when I went back to the topic, it was still showing as highlighted. I cant even find where it allows something to manually mark a thread as being read, Maybe its to early still, I haven't even had my morning tea yet! I will look into it further, and see if I can sort out whats going on.

SnuggleHam
06-02-2008, 04:37 AM
I figured it out!

When you look at a thread, at the bottom of each one on the left hand side is a link that says "Return to (such and such) topic, so in this case it would say "Return to Announcements and Bug Corner!" If you click that and go back to that topic you were on, you should see that the thread icon has changed color.

If the thread has more then one page, then you need to go to the end page and do this. Hitting the back button in your browser doesn't seem to register on the forum you read the thread. So give that a try and see how it goes :)

Bailey-Benji
06-02-2008, 05:21 AM
Thank you!

Do all the threads have to be read before the icon of that board changes? (I don't like reading all the topics, but I suppose I could just "mark them as read")

Also - I've got the time set to GMT in my settings, but it's an hour slow? :?

souffle
06-02-2008, 07:51 AM
I think the time issue is because we are on British Summer time so it should be GMT+1 Bailey Benji :D I just click mark forum read when I am finished on that particular forum as sometimes you have already read them all earlier.

Bailey-Benji
06-02-2008, 09:06 AM
I thought it might have something to do with an American server, or to just confuse me :P

I've changed it to +1 now though :)

Thanks

souffle
06-02-2008, 11:43 AM
I've just noticed you put it as GMT then click the yes button on the summertime in effect section just below it :D

ilovemyhammies
06-02-2008, 12:08 PM
my marking as read is,nt working :o

SnuggleHam
06-02-2008, 12:17 PM
my marking as read is,nt working :o

Hmm odd, I just tried it and it worked fine for me. What are you doing exactly, can you explains the steps?

ilovemyhammies
06-02-2008, 12:48 PM
i must be doing something wrong then :oops:
i go on to board index, click on view new post
then after reading the ones i want to, i go back to board index and click mark forums read top right corner
then when i come back to check for new post, its all the same post as before

jayne
06-02-2008, 12:54 PM
I think i've worked it out!

I was confused myself as in the last forum the little hamster at the left of each thread etc was a brown colour letting you know there was a new topic.post. It apperas to be the same colour all the time on this one and instead you will see a yellowish background behind the brown hamster to indicate a new post :wink:

Does the make sense? I have clicked the mark as read and they all went to white backgrounds and refreshed to see some of them with the yellow background

SnuggleHam
06-02-2008, 01:04 PM
I think i've worked it out!

I was confused myself as in the last forum the little hamster at the left of each thread etc was a brown colour letting you know there was a new topic.post. It apperas to be the same colour all the time on this one and instead you will see a yellowish background behind the brown hamster to indicate a new post :wink:

Does the make sense? I have clicked the mark as read and they all went to white backgrounds and refreshed to see some of them with the yellow background

Ya thats right :x Its not obvious enough, im going to make some changes soon so they stand out better.

SnuggleHam
06-02-2008, 01:24 PM
Okay!!! peoples :) Ive changed the topic and thread icons, so now you should clearly see a difference between threads with new posts and ones you already read. If not try refreshing the page, and the changes should show :)

ilovemyhammies
06-02-2008, 01:53 PM
god i must be blind :oops:
what are the changes?
when you mark as read, should the post not come up at all when you press read new post?

SnuggleHam
06-02-2008, 03:05 PM
god i must be blind :oops:
what are the changes?
when you mark as read, should the post not come up at all when you press read new post?

This icon shows threads that have been responded or new threads posted http://www.hamstercentral.com/forum/styles/GreenGrass/imageset/forum_unread.gif
This one shows threads/topics that have nothing new since you looked at them, or marked as being readhttp://www.hamstercentral.com/forum/styles/GreenGrass/imageset/topic_read.gif

ilovemyhammies
06-02-2008, 03:12 PM
thanks for your help snuggleham
i see that difference :oops:
thats the only thing that has bugged me

souffle
06-03-2008, 12:19 AM
I think the change in hamster colours makes it really much clearer Snuggleham. The dove bandeds and the cinnamon bandeds are easier to spot. What does it mean if there is nothing by the topic?

SnuggleHam
06-03-2008, 03:45 AM
I think the change in hamster colours makes it really much clearer Snuggleham. The dove bandeds and the cinnamon bandeds are easier to spot. What does it mean if there is nothing by the topic?

I'm not sure yet :x I think there even used to be an icon where they are blank now, not sure what we did to cause that :shock:

Jane
06-08-2008, 10:55 AM
I like the new icons - much clearer and easier to tell the difference now.