PDA

View Full Version : Dill & Basil

J.Bosley
06-08-2013, 08:13 PM
Hello!
I adopted these 2 little guys from a co-worker. Her daughter wasn't caring for them, and when she heard me say I wanted a Hamster she decided I would be a better owner, you know being an adult and all, haha ;)

They have already started my Hamster addiction... I haven't even had them a week and BAM got a Syrian haha. Basil is all brown and Dill is white and brown! Basil is more outgoing, and Dill is pretty nervous of people.

More pictures once they have settled in a bit! :D

icklemunch
06-08-2013, 10:03 PM
Both of them are gorgeous.

Kaztrekie
06-09-2013, 12:08 AM
They are lovely another hamster addict :)

Gazmo
06-09-2013, 02:05 AM
aww theyre so sweet :)

HamsterCrazy2013
06-09-2013, 02:50 AM
They are both really cute. Love their names too!

littlescruffies
06-09-2013, 02:51 AM
Aww they're lovely :)

J.Bosley
06-09-2013, 05:24 PM
Thanks guys! :D

Hoping to get them a large bin cage soon! They have been fighting a wee bit lately... :confused: Not too sure what to do. Should I separate them? Or would a larger bin cage help...??

Cupcake
06-09-2013, 05:28 PM
I do believe that if it is serious, they need separation. But then again I do not own dwarves so I'm not sure if maybe the small size of the cage is causing this stress and fights to break out. Maybe a more experienced member can provide a bit more insight as to what you can do with the pair :)

J.Bosley
06-09-2013, 06:00 PM
I do believe that if it is serious, they need separation. But then again I do not own dwarves so I'm not sure if maybe the small size of the cage is causing this stress and fights to break out. Maybe a more experienced member can provide a bit more insight as to what you can do with the pair :)

Thanks! I appreciate it. I've had to separate them twice for fighting over the last few days...

zebbecorn
06-09-2013, 07:13 PM
Such a cute pair, and I love their names!

J.Bosley
06-10-2013, 07:59 PM
Such a cute pair, and I love their names!

Thanks! :D

I should have saved Cilantro for a Male Bunny though...haha

J.Bosley
06-11-2013, 08:51 PM
Some adorable new pictures of Basil! :D

He is a lot friendlier than Dill. I even took him out tonight and let him crawl around my lap! He allowed me to pat him, and happily climbed in my hand when I want to take him out of his cage.

Gazmo
06-12-2013, 02:23 AM
aww! how gorgeous :3

Nikkigrace
06-13-2013, 07:31 AM
Firstly, they are absolutely gorgeous. Lovely and fluffy!!

In regards to the fighting, what size cage do you have them in? The set up they have should include two identical wheels & no levels so as to reduce the risk of any territorial behaviour. I would advise to not use any kind of house as they often allow one ham to get trapped by the other. A big open nest of ripped up toilet tissue/kitchen roll will be absolutely fine. Try not to set the cage up so that either one of the hams can get trapped in the corners by the other. And scatter feeding all over the cage will help avoid either of them getting territorial over a single food bowl.

Little bits of chasing doesn't necessarily mean they need separating. When you say they have been fighting, what have you seen?

J.Bosley
06-13-2013, 09:57 AM
Firstly, they are absolutely gorgeous. Lovely and fluffy!!

In regards to the fighting, what size cage do you have them in? The set up they have should include two identical wheels & no levels so as to reduce the risk of any territorial behaviour. I would advise to not use any kind of house as they often allow one ham to get trapped by the other. A big open nest of ripped up toilet tissue/kitchen roll will be absolutely fine. Try not to set the cage up so that either one of the hams can get trapped in the corners by the other. And scatter feeding all over the cage will help avoid either of them getting territorial over a single food bowl.

Little bits of chasing doesn't necessarily mean they need separating. When you say they have been fighting, what have you seen?

I am soon going to be doing bin cages. The cage I have right now is NOT adequate... which is why I am switching it ;)

Usually Dill is pinning Basil and biting. I hear all kinds of squeaking and squealing. Their bin cage will have 2 wheels, 2 food dishes, 2 water bottles and 2 houses (or maybe not, now that you've said it can cause fighting). Their current cage has 1 wheel, 2 food dishes, 1 water bottle, 2 houses and 3 levels. I am hoping to do a bin cage for them this weekend! :D

J.Bosley
06-13-2013, 10:00 AM
Basil being adorable! :D

Nikkigrace
06-13-2013, 10:52 AM
The new cage & set up they will have from the weekend sounds great. If the fighting and squabbling has already started then to make sure they even make it to the weekend without needing to be separated completely, I would if possible remove the levels and the houses and give them the big open nest I mentioned. And remove the food bowls, and instead scatter feed all over the cage floor.
The sooner they have nothing to get territorial or fight over, the more chance you have of keeping them together. If they do continue to fight, you can always strip them back to the bare minimum in the cage and start afresh as if they have just been introduced and work from there. All the best for them staying together :)

J.Bosley
06-13-2013, 11:04 AM
The new cage & set up they will have from the weekend sounds great. If the fighting and squabbling has already started then to make sure they even make it to the weekend without needing to be separated completely, I would if possible remove the levels and the houses and give them the big open nest I mentioned. And remove the food bowls, and instead scatter feed all over the cage floor.
The sooner they have nothing to get territorial or fight over, the more chance you have of keeping them together. If they do continue to fight, you can always strip them back to the bare minimum in the cage and start afresh as if they have just been introduced and work from there. All the best for them staying together :)

Hmmm do they NEED to be together? Or is it okay to separate them, and give them their own bin cages? :confused: I wouldn't mind separating them and just giving everyone their own, awesome cages to live in. If I spread the feed on the ground, will they be able to pick it out through the Carefresh Bedding??... :confused::confused::confused:

Nikkigrace
06-13-2013, 11:20 AM
They don't need to be together and many live very happily on their own. If I were you, personally I'd try to give them the chance of staying together before separating them but that's just my opinion.
With the food being scattered, they will absolutely be able to pick it out. I use Fitch which is much the same and food often falls in and around the Fitch and often falls to the bottom of the cage and mine love burrowing around to find it. Remember in the wild, they would have to dig and burrow for their food in much the same way so it is actually a more natural way for them to search and forage for food

J.Bosley
06-13-2013, 11:29 AM
They don't need to be together and many live very happily on their own. If I were you, personally I'd try to give them the chance of staying together before separating them but that's just my opinion.
With the food being scattered, they will absolutely be able to pick it out. I use Fitch which is much the same and food often falls in and around the Fitch and often falls to the bottom of the cage and mine love burrowing around to find it. Remember in the wild, they would have to dig and burrow for their food in much the same way so it is actually a more natural way for them to search and forage for food

Awesome! I will definitely try keeping them together. Unfortunately they seem to be fighting ever day. I usually split them up or at least push them apart. I don't want any bleeding Hammies! :( Really hoping a bigger, one level cage with 2 of everything will help them. I will definitely take basically everything out of their current cage right now :D See if it helps.

What size bin would be appropriate for 1 Dwarf Hamster?... I figure I will get 2 large ones (1 for my Syrian and 1 for the Dill & Basil) and get 2 smaller ones as back up if they keep fighting.