PDA

View Full Version : :(

student1304
05-18-2013, 05:17 PM
I found my Chinese hammy chan dead tonight, it looked like he passed in his sleep but I'm pretty gutted.
He was my little adoption case, every week when I went to the pet shop he was there and after a month of constantly seeing him I rehomed him. Everybody thought I was nuts, I already had my Syrian gimli and no one could understand why I'd take a second one home.
He was a shy guy, he didn't really like to come out but he loved his little flying saucer and burrowing away in his carefresh.
I thought he'd live for years just to naff off everyone who said I shouldn't have got him. He was meant to be my old timer, I think he was about two so not a bad age, but still I expected longer.
I'm even more gutted that I didn't get to say goodbye. With every other pet I've had I've always known they where ill and been able to say goodbye. I don't even know how long chan has been dead for, he could have passed last night or the night before. That I didn't know he was ill, that he could have been there for a while is horrible. I checked on him because he didn't eat his dog biscuit - he loved those.
I think it's so sad how little time we have with them, I've had him for just over a year and it feels too short.
I know that this will happen with gimli as well, in half or year or a year and it makes me upset all over again. I can't get any more hamsters after this. It's not long enough.

gutterglitterxx
05-18-2013, 07:05 PM
I am so very sorry for your loss. I know exactly how you feel, as I lost my most beloved hamster on Tuesday. It is such a difficult thing to move on from but time is the greatest healer. I hope you are soon able to recover from some of the initial pain and find peace.

Run free, play well, and sleep tight Chan. xxxx

AliKati
05-19-2013, 03:34 AM
I'm really sorry for your loss. I know how you feel, as I lost my darling several months ago and I'm still not over it. However, I know your little guy must have had a great life when he found his final home with you. He looks very sweet and happy.

neily
05-19-2013, 03:46 AM
Sorry for your loss, it's sad they don't live long, but the main thing is he had a better life for the time he was with you, that's what counts, he didn't spend his life in a pet shop and pass on there. I was not wanting to adopt because the hams more than likely be a lot older when you adopt them, but I did it and saved my dwarf Ivan from being stuck in a tiny tank with no wheel or anything to amuse him. He loves all the new space and 2 wheels he has, so satisfying watching him enjoy himself.

Sorry I'm blabbing on, but my main point his you should be proud you gave him a chance in life and be happy knowing hd got a chance of a better life even though it was short.

Silver
05-19-2013, 03:46 AM
I am so very sorry for your sad loss of Chan

It is very, very hard to loose a loved one & you are right 2 years is not anywhere near enough time with them. But they have short life's & pack so much into it while they are here & make us smile every day.

I am sorry you did not get to say good by, but Chan knows how much you loved him every day. He can hear you from rainbow bridge so he would of heard this memorial to him.

Run free Chan I am pleased you fund such a wonderful forever home in the end

xxx

icklemunch
05-19-2013, 03:52 AM
I am so sorry for your loss.
I had my Hamish pts just over 3 yrs ago and decided i would never have another hammy as their life span is just so short. 6 weeks ago i brought my little Jeffro home.
Chan sounds like he was very lucky to have found you. I'm sure he is smiling down at you now so pleased you saved him from the pet shop.
Hope you are ok.
Run free chan x

ANGELBABIES
05-19-2013, 04:00 AM
You did a wonderful thing when you brought Chan home, gave him a forever home and much needed love. How wonderful it has been the last 12 months with you - he says - for if you did not bring me home - I would have stayed in the adoption centre for the rest of my life, and probably gone to the rainbow bridge sooner due to lack of love and boredom.
Yes 12 months is too short, even the 2 years they live. But when we rescue hammies - the time with them is even shorter. But I always always want to rescue those little ones who no one wants - Poppy my first rescue was with me only for 8 months. I was devastated and said no more little ones - but then came 5 ratties and two more hammies.
I pray each day you feel stronger and remember the good times, and the love Chan brought out in you. Run free little lad, and send your mum love in your own little way. Hugs xx

Victoriah107
05-19-2013, 07:14 AM
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I, too, just lost our only Sophie. It hurts to lose them, however, I'm scouting for another little one to lavish my love on. There's just something about the love and trust of a small critter like a hammy, I miss and want more of. Hoping you will feel better soon. ***Hugs***
Play and run free at the bridge little Chan. You were a very loved boy.

Arraminta
05-19-2013, 10:28 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss... We all know how hard it is! I lost my wonderful smudge & was heartbroken

You gave the amazing gift of a second chance with someone who truly loved him... He was surrounded by love, your love & he knew it.

Love comes in many colours.. i was unsure about loving again but then this little guy Mitch came my way and started to heal the hole in my heart.. I simply love Mitch in a different colour.. Smudge will always have his colour.

Big huge hugs and run free and play at the bridge little one

Arramintas x

TraceyH
05-19-2013, 10:49 AM
Aw, but he was so gorgeous looking and I'm sure he was grateful that you adopted him and loved him. I'm sorry you've lost him though.

I know how you feel when you say no more hamsters. Years ago when I was in my twenties and upset at losing them, I said exactly the same thing and gave up hamsters for 19 years. Then started keeping them again 2 and half years ago when I fell in love with Fernando in the pet-shop. Then I felt sad I'd missed out on 19 years of hamsters.

These days my thoughts are much the same as Neilys post as in making sure they have a great life for however long they live.

student1304
05-19-2013, 03:26 PM
Thank you all for the support and I am sorry to hear of the passing of other hamsters here on hamster central. I'm still so gutted, I honestly pictured him living for a long time. I buried him today and got rid of his things, it certainly looked like he died naturally in his sleep. I guess it was just a shock to the system, completely unexpected.

I love that he was my little smelly, unsociable adoptee. He had antibiotics not that long ago, and I must say I have fond memories of scooping him up in his little flannel and holding him there. He used to try and bat away the syringe, but could soon be soothed by stroking the bridge of his nose.
It's such a shame he has gone so soon, he will be missed, there will never be another grumpy little man quite like him.

Pompompoms
05-20-2013, 04:51 PM
He might have been grumpy, but how utterly adorable is that little face! I'm so sorry he passed, but I'm glad he found his forever home with you and experienced the love and care all little hams should. Play well little one xx

Pamela
05-21-2013, 03:30 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. It hurts, I know...

souffle
05-30-2013, 03:10 AM
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Chan was quite a little character and will be much missed.
Play well at the bridge Chan x