PDA

View Full Version : Good Night Sweet Cheeto

gutterglitterxx
05-17-2013, 01:12 PM
I'm not sure I'm even going to be able to finish this, but I'm going to give it a shot. Because I feel like my precious girl needs to be acknowledged in all her amazing glory. I apologize for the length in advance.

My beautiful baby, Cheeto, was put to sleep on Tuesday. I'm not sure exactly what happened, whether it was a broken back or something related to her pyo diagnosis a couple months back. Truth be told, it doesn't really matter. The bottom line is that she is gone and my heart is broken.

Cheeto was the most amazing hamster. I remember the day I got her... I had already tentatively picked out a different hamster, a boy actually. But I asked the man at the shop if I could see the ones that were hiding before I left. At that moment this absolutely gorgeous girl with the most beautiful orangey spots emerged from her hidey hole. She came right over to the front and she was bright eyed and stunning. It was love at first sight and I knew she had to be mine. I stared at her for hours that first day, she was just so pretty and full of life. I loved watching her explore her new home which she seemed in awe of.

In the days, weeks, and months that followed she wrapped me right around her little paw. She was immediately the friendliest girl and I grew attached to her right away. She was always willing to play, never even thought about biting or nipping, and was so curious and inquisitive from day one. She had this amazing energy about her and she made me thrilled to see her each and every day. Due to health issues, I spend a lot of time by myself at home so seeing her emerge from her nest for the night was the highlight of my day. She was my best little furry friend.

We had a scare in September of 2012 when she developed a tumor on her right front paw. I was terrified that my little princess was going to be diagnosed with cancer but luckily, after a couple of misdiagnoses first, it was discovered to be a benign tumor which was removed. She was a trooper all the way through and recovered quickly. You never would have known she had been through so much. Even a couple months later, when the same type of tumor appeared on her other front paw, she fought like a champion and recovered almost immediately. Her little paws were stunning until the day I lost her.

In March of 2013, after noticing some excessive drinking and peeing, she was diagnosed with pyometra. I'm not sure if the vet wasn't terribly knowledgeable (he wasn't my usual vet) or what the case was but he sent her home on antibiotics, very much giving the impression that those alone should have been enough to cure her. I asked about spaying her, which he was very much against due to her age and the fact that the disease was showing signs of being in her blood stream. After some initial hesitation, she finished her antibiotics like the good girl she always was. She never once seemed sick, other than the peeing and drinking. She remained hungry, playful, gorgeous, and active throughout the remainder of her life. During a visit for GiGi with my regular vet, we spoke about Cheeto and her condition. My regular vet felt that what I was describing did not sound like pyometra at all, since she was seemingly healthy. I was told to keep an eye on her and bring her in if she began exhibiting further symptoms.

She never did. She was a happy hamster until the day I lost her. I'd be lying if I said I don't feel somewhat responsible for whatever may have happened. Which is a tremendous weight on my shoulders. But the truth is, I don't know what happened.

I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed on Monday. Before I left for surgery, I had her out with me for cuddles and she was perfectly fine. When I came home that evening, she came out and greeted me. She kept me company for a while on Monday evening while the anesthesia wore off and the Percocet kicked in. She was active, playing, eating, running, climbing. There was absolutely no indication that anything was wrong. If there had been, I would have been at the vet's office or animal hospital immediately- swollen face and all. I didn't sleep well Monday night, because of the pain in my mouth. So I know that she was up and about all night, just as she always was. It wasn't until almost 7am Tuesday morning that I went to sleep for a length of time, maybe 4 hours. And on Tuesday afternoon I heard her emerge from her nest and immediately knew something wasn't right. I heard her moving slowly and she was taking a different route across her cage floor then she normally would. I ran over to her and saw her poor little back legs dragging behind her.

I was devastated. I collapsed into hysterical tears. Hysterical, painful tears, crying through intense pain in my mouth. In my heart, I knew this was going to be it for her and my heart was shattering. I gently lifted her to my chest and cried with her in my arms. She still looked as beautiful as she always had and almost seemed to be looking at me like "What's the matter with you, mummy?" I eventually brought her to a local emergency vet since my regular vet was not available. I cried some more in the waiting room while waiting for them to examine her. When the vet emerged, she told me what I already knew- that the kindest thing would be to let her go.

I held her for a long time. I told her how much I loved her and how sorry I was. Sorry that I couldn't save her, sorry that I hadn't been able to do more for her, sorry that I wasn't even completely sure what had happened to her. I cried what seemed like hundreds of tears, many of which had wet her fur and remained on her when I finally handed her over to the vet tech. She fell asleep for a few moments in the crook of my arm, and I stroked her for what seemed like forever. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do.

Cheeto, I love you so much. More than I ever thought I could love a hamster. I have loved all my girls and still love the ones I have now, but you were so very special to mummy. I felt closer to you than anything and it's nearly impossible to think I will ever feel the same way again. I hope that I was able to make you feel my love throughout your life and I hope that your time with me was happy. All I ever wanted was to give you the best life I possibly could and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for giving me a reason to smile every single day. Even when you felt like the only good thing in my life. I don't really know what I believe about the afterlife and things like that but I hope that wherever you are, you are healthy and happy. That's all I've ever wanted for you. I love you, Cheeto, from the bottom of my heart. The paw prints you have left on my soul will never be duplicated. You really were one of a kind and I am so grateful that you were a part of my life. I just wish it could have been for longer. Rest in peace, baby girl.

Some of my favorite pictures...

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b352/gutterglitterxx/74e599b0e903f1629dfd83bfe36ca65a_zps2db6d817.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b352/gutterglitterxx/275c5da481958589fba108d3601d329b_zps27363ead.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b352/gutterglitterxx/9c4b8e6dbbaa840359aa272857c763c9_zpsfeedb3ea.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b352/gutterglitterxx/6146ffa53f7d5d84fd33998f2d326223_zpsa52ddf70.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b352/gutterglitterxx/364681bb6493cb5bc2efc1e8bb9c509d_zps5b0d9f65.jpg

And the last photo I ever took of her, last Friday...

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b352/gutterglitterxx/952b6adf9f1416b7461564cf03697c09_zpsee36f4e1.jpg

I will miss you forever, Miss Cheeto. Sleep tight, until we meet again. xxxx

Cupcake
05-17-2013, 01:39 PM
Awww GG :( I cried through the whole reading and still am. Cheeto was indeed very special and very loved, heck even I was head over heels! This was a very beautiful memorial, truly <3 Cheeto is now her cheeky little self at the bridge xx
All the photos you posted of her are wonderful, she always will be a special hammy for you! And she would like it if you would remember and cherish all the beautiful memories you have.

Lots of Love, Cupcake and I <3 xx

Kirsty1987
05-17-2013, 01:52 PM
This has to be one of the hardest memorials i have read i have a lump in my throat and had to go dry my eyes and pull myself together before i could post a reply, I can only imagine how difficult it must be for you and i hope the pain heals soon.

You've lost your pet so very dear
Your four legged friend always so near,
You wonder how to get through the days
As you're missing your friend in so many ways.
But your sadness really does say a lot
it's a telling sign of the love your pet got.

R.I.P cheeto xx

Nikkigrace
05-17-2013, 02:13 PM
What a truly beautiful and moving memorial for your Cheeto. What a wonderful life she had with you and such a special friendship you shared.
Remember the good and happy times and I hope your heart eases of the pain soon. Cheeto knew how much you loved her and take comfort in that.
Hugs xxx

Run free little Cheeto, send your mum some strength and love from above and look forward to the day you meet again xxx

Kiki_3173
05-17-2013, 02:14 PM
Absolutely beautiful memorial to Cheeto, GG! I am still wiping tears while I write this, as I know how special she was to you. No matter how big or small our furry friends are, it is never easy to let them go and I hope the pain in your heart heals with time. You have so many beautiful pictures of her and memories with her that you carry in your heart, which is why Cheeto is and will be, always with you!

icklemunch
05-17-2013, 02:17 PM
What a moving and absolutely beautiful tribute. Cheeto was an absolute star and i'm sure many others aswell as myself enjoyed reading about her antics. She was extremley lucky to have you as her mummy as was you to have her.

Cheeto you will be missed xx

ANGELBABIES
05-17-2013, 02:37 PM
Hi GG - there is nothing anyone can say or do to ease your pain, only Cheeto can do that. Sadly it was Cheeto's time to go. She is in a better place smiling down at her mum for giving her a beautiful life and so much love. I believe one day we will all be together with our loved ones, family friends and especially our pets. The bond between us and our pets is a unique one - one that can never break - no matter how old they are - they are forever our babies - a bond that teaches us the depth of unconditional love. Beautiful little Cheeto will send you a sign - a sign of love and a sign that she is all right - and you will know this when you get this sign - trust me - it is very comforting. Take care. Hugs xx

RachK
05-17-2013, 02:59 PM
A beautiful tribute to a wonderful little hammie girl. GG my heart breaks for you. I have tears in my eyes reading this. We are all going to miss her updates on here, but nowhere near as much as you. It will get better with time. Sending much love & huge hugs to you xxx

_nod
05-17-2013, 03:13 PM
A lovely memorial. I've not been on HC long, but it's so clear how much you loved Cheeto and how much she loved her time with you too.

Pouches
05-17-2013, 03:43 PM
We all knew you both loved each other very much. You were and are a great mommy, and I'm sure Cheeto wouldn't want you to beat yourself up over any decision you made for her. You've always shown that you had her best interest in heart and mind, even the final one was more humane than easy to make however none of us will tell you that it wasn't the right decision.
Your heart will heal, and in time you will find another hammie who will need the same amount of love that you gave Cheeto. I'm sure it's what she would want for you too.
I hate reading the memorials thread, but it's inevitable that we all will have one at some point or another. It's not only a way of saying goodbye, but a way of adding to their legacy.
I hope your heart begins to heal soon, and I hope fate brings another baby into your life as it did when you saw Cheeto.

Arraminta
05-17-2013, 04:09 PM
She was an amazing girl, beautiful and more photogenic then any other hammy I have seen..
I'm so sorry you lost her.. Your memorial is beautiful and touches all our hearts.. We know what it is like to fiercely love something so small.

Big hugs for you xxx
Minty xx

Queen Of The High Teas
05-17-2013, 04:41 PM
GG I'm so sorry you've lost your special little girl. Your memorial is beautiful, its actually bought tears to my eyes, as it is so very obvious in your words just how much this little hammy meant to you. Cheeto will be scampering around now by the bridge, fully restored to health once more. She'll never grow old or ill now, but play and run in total freedom, knowing one day you'll pick her up again just like you used to. In the meantime, she'll realise you miss her, and will pay you a visit when you least expect it, and you will just know when she does. Hugs to you and take care, I hope your pain eases soon xx

gutterglitterxx
05-17-2013, 07:14 PM
Thank you everyone. It was very difficult to write that, since it felt so final. But I'd like to think that maybe Cheeto is somewhere, feeling the love behind my words. xxxx

Pouches
05-17-2013, 08:43 PM
I'm sure she is, and I'm sure she's looking down on you wishing she could cheer you up.

cowgirlskipper
05-17-2013, 09:01 PM
I'm so sorry, she was such a beautiful little girl... RIP Cheeto...

gutterglitterxx
05-17-2013, 10:13 PM
You've lost your pet so very dear
Your four legged friend always so near,
You wonder how to get through the days
As you're missing your friend in so many ways.
But your sadness really does say a lot
it's a telling sign of the love your pet got.

This was really sweet, thank you.

Jillysunbeam
05-18-2013, 03:25 AM
Oh this has me in tears. One of the kids has come up behind me and said 'Oh that's Cheeto', can't bear to tell them whats happened to her. What a lovely memorial. She was a fantastic wee hammy. I hope the love you hold in your heart for Cheeto can be given to some other little hamster in the future. xxx

Petite1
05-18-2013, 02:14 PM
GG great tribute to a great friend, im sure Cheeto thanks you for being her mummy, im in tears too reading this especially after losing Honey yesterday so know how you feel, our love for them is incredibly strong and cant be taken away, thiking of you. Play well at the bridge little Cheetox

gutterglitterxx
05-18-2013, 02:39 PM
Oh this has me in tears. One of the kids has come up behind me and said 'Oh that's Cheeto', can't bear to tell them whats happened to her. What a lovely memorial. She was a fantastic wee hammy. I hope the love you hold in your heart for Cheeto can be given to some other little hamster in the future. xxx

Awwww it made me smile to know one of the kids recognized her. She was pretty special. :)

GG great tribute to a great friend, im sure Cheeto thanks you for being her mummy, im in tears too reading this especially after losing Honey yesterday so know how you feel, our love for them is incredibly strong and cant be taken away, thiking of you. Play well at the bridge little Cheetox

I am so sorry for your loss. I hope you are able to find peace very soon. xxxx

AliKati
05-18-2013, 03:42 PM
She's a special special girl. I will always remember her. Thank you for sharing her with us.

gutterglitterxx
05-18-2013, 06:24 PM
Thank you to everyone who has not only taken the time to read Cheeto's memorial, but has also left a wonderful comment. I really appreciate it more than words can say. xxx

jesselle
05-19-2013, 12:20 PM
Night Cheeto xxxx

I'm sorry gg :( xxx

Biscotti
05-19-2013, 07:55 PM
Oh no... :( I'm very sorry to hear this, rest well sweet Cheeto. *hugs*

Pompompoms
05-20-2013, 04:59 PM
A true heart ham never really leaves you. Tiny paw prints on your heart forever from little Cheeto. I'm so sorry, play well beautiful girl xx

Gayze
05-20-2013, 05:07 PM
I've just read your memorial to your beloved little Cheeto. Know that you gave her love like no other human ever could have given her. She chose you, and you fulfilled her.

A Native American teacher of mine once told me, when we were discussing the depth of grief we feel when a loved one crosses through the veil: Tears are a sacred sacrifice, a giving of a part of ourselves in honor of a life well lived.

Cheeto's life was well lived, and I know that she was blessed to share it with you.

Tutu
05-20-2013, 11:53 PM
Cheeto was only hamster I know of speak human language ! She said to me " thank you human" in pink letter words:) that was cutest thing ever:)

GG you almost worshiped her and I'm sure Cheeto knew it!

Run free at rainbow bridge little Cheeto!
Xxx

Stockannette
05-21-2013, 07:47 AM
Ooo, I knew I shouldn't read this at work. I'm so sorry for your broken heart, dear. This is why I never wrote a proper memorial for Flower, because I could not have come up with EXACTLY THIS. Cheeto and her sweet orange text will be forever missed.

gutterglitterxx
05-21-2013, 10:52 AM
Cheeto was only hamster I know of speak human language ! She said to me " thank you human" in pink letter words:) that was cutest thing ever:)

GG you almost worshiped her and I'm sure Cheeto knew it!

She was a very talented hamster. :) I hope she knows how much she meant to me. She was a huge chunk of my heart.

A true heart ham never really leaves you. Tiny paw prints on your heart forever from little Cheeto. I'm so sorry, play well beautiful girl xx

Thanks. She definitely owns a huge piece of my heart forever. She was the best.

A Native American teacher of mine once told me, when we were discussing the depth of grief we feel when a loved one crosses through the veil: Tears are a sacred sacrifice, a giving of a part of ourselves in honor of a life well lived.

This is beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing it with me.

Ooo, I knew I shouldn't read this at work. I'm so sorry for your broken heart, dear. This is why I never wrote a proper memorial for Flower, because I could not have come up with EXACTLY THIS. Cheeto and her sweet orange text will be forever missed.

I don't blame you. It was very difficult to do and I contemplated whether I was going to do it at all.

Thank you for reading.

Pamela
05-21-2013, 03:29 PM
Cheeto is beautiful. I am so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful tribute to her. xx
Pamela

gutterglitterxx
05-22-2013, 02:23 PM
Cheeto is beautiful. I am so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful tribute to her. xx
Pamela

Thanks very much. It was difficult to write but she deserved every word of it.

chulasweetchica
05-22-2013, 08:49 PM
Omg gutterglitterxx I haven't been here in awhile just saw this doing some research and Im soo soo sorry about Cheeto! Oh my heart breaks for you I know you loved your girl and I know she loved you soo very much too! I will never forget your special girl ever. RIP sweet Cheeto, give my sweet Alice & Ghostbusters a big hug for me.

gutterglitterxx
05-22-2013, 09:00 PM
Omg gutterglitterxx I haven't been here in awhile just saw this doing some research and Im soo soo sorry about Cheeto! Oh my heart breaks for you I know you loved your girl and I know she loved you soo very much too! I will never forget your special girl ever. RIP sweet Cheeto, give my sweet Alice & Ghostbusters a big hug for me.

Awwww you're very sweet, thank you for the kind words. I hope she knew how much she meant to be and I hope she still knows it now, no matter where she may be. She was an amazing girl, definitely one of a kind.

Thank you for reading and commenting. I really appreciate it. :)

DrKMcK
05-23-2013, 08:21 PM
I haven't been on since I was away for a few days and then got sick. I'm getting better, but came on the site mostly to see how you have been doing. Reading your lovely memorial to the beautiful Cheeto was just as painful as I thought it would be. I've already let you know how sorry and sad I am about this wonderful little girl. But remember this GG, how blessed your life has been because of this little love. How wonderful that she shared your life and also was shared with us. This little orange furball touched many lives, and that's a special thing. Thank you GG for your wonderful photos of the charming Cheeto.

Sparkle
05-25-2013, 11:46 PM
That was a lovely memorial.
So sorry for your loss.
Cheeto was a gorgeous hamster.

Eriklover555
05-26-2013, 02:20 AM
Oh, God - I'm so sorry for your loss! She was such a fighter, right up until the end, and a real inspiration for the forum.

Dream well, little Cheeto.

Call me Alison
05-26-2013, 05:45 AM
Play well beautifull cheeto xxxxxxxx

gutterglitterxx
05-26-2013, 02:58 PM
I haven't been on since I was away for a few days and then got sick. I'm getting better, but came on the site mostly to see how you have been doing. Reading your lovely memorial to the beautiful Cheeto was just as painful as I thought it would be. I've already let you know how sorry and sad I am about this wonderful little girl. But remember this GG, how blessed your life has been because of this little love. How wonderful that she shared your life and also was shared with us. This little orange furball touched many lives, and that's a special thing. Thank you GG for your wonderful photos of the charming Cheeto.

Thanks so much. I really appreciate you taking the time to read and comment. It's been a difficult 2 weeks. I still find myself crying every now and then. I'll see a picture of her or think of a memory and suddenly the fact that she is gone overwhelms me. It means so much to me to know that people like you care about me and cared about her. She was the most amazing little furball.

That was a lovely memorial.
So sorry for your loss.
Cheeto was a gorgeous hamster.

She really was. Thank you so much.

Oh, God - I'm so sorry for your loss! She was such a fighter, right up until the end, and a real inspiration for the forum.

Dream well, little Cheeto.

She was the best. Definitely irreplaceable. Thanks for the kind words.

Play well beautifull cheeto xxxxxxxx

Thank you. xx

Panda's_mommy
05-26-2013, 03:21 PM
I'm so, so, so sorry for your loss. I'm like trying not to cry after reading that. I just got my baby in Feb. he's my first hamster and I love him to death. He has brought me so much joy. I know how hard it is to lose a pet. The only positive thing is that she is no longer suffering!

souffle
05-30-2013, 03:20 AM
I am so very sorry for your loss. Cheeto was an amazing character and a much loved hamster. She will be so much missed here on HC too.
Play well at the bridge Cheeto and send your mum a rainbow x

Silver
05-30-2013, 06:58 AM
Night Night sweetheart

You will be sorely missed

xxx

gutterglitterxx
05-30-2013, 10:22 AM
I'm so, so, so sorry for your loss. I'm like trying not to cry after reading that. I just got my baby in Feb. he's my first hamster and I love him to death. He has brought me so much joy. I know how hard it is to lose a pet. The only positive thing is that she is no longer suffering!

It is so touching to me how many people have read this and told me they had tears in their own eyes. And I promise she was worth every one of those tears. She was perfect.

Thank you for your kind words.

I am so very sorry for your loss. Cheeto was an amazing character and a much loved hamster. She will be so much missed here on HC too.
Play well at the bridge Cheeto and send your mum a rainbow x

Thanks, souffle. She was pretty amazing. I hope she visits me in my dreams or sends me a rainbow soon.

Night Night sweetheart

You will be sorely missed

xxx

Thanks, Silver. She is very, very missed.

shell1805
05-30-2013, 02:53 PM
oh hunni, im literally in tears :( i am so so so sorry *hugs*
cheeto was one in a million and i will go as far as saying my fave hammie on here.
i know i haven't been on here in ages but you know where i am if you wanna chat (i sent a friend request on FB)
thinking of you xxx

gutterglitterxx
05-30-2013, 04:01 PM
oh hunni, im literally in tears :( i am so so so sorry *hugs*
cheeto was one in a million and i will go as far as saying my fave hammie on here.
i know i haven't been on here in ages but you know where i am if you wanna chat (i sent a friend request on FB)
thinking of you xxx

Thanks very much. She really was one in a million. She was the best hamster friend I could have ever asked for and I miss her so much. I'm crying again as I type this. I never would have thought I could love something so much. She was an angel. xx

gutterglitterxx
05-30-2013, 04:04 PM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b352/gutterglitterxx/5371d9e88233b6453c4f96dd4e834f1b_zps7d47d975.jpg

j.j.
05-30-2013, 04:44 PM
Wow I do not know how I missed this thread?! If your tribute wasn't stirring enough the photo with the poem next to it had me!!! Do not question your love of your little furies. If you can make that love known and felt across a computer screen then they surely knew it.

Ever since you had posted photos of Cheeto eating those oat sprays, I had wanted to get some for JJ to try. I finally did that a couple of weeks ago. JJ wasn't eating them and I wasn't sure what she should be doing anyhow so I Googled hamster eating oat spray. You know what came up? Yep - Cheeto enjoying hers.

Needless to say JJ just doesn't care for them. She ignores them but Cheeto is etched in everyone's heart that you have shared her with as well as our memories.

She had you for a mom. She was loved. No hammy could ask for better!!! I hope that offers you some comfort.

gutterglitterxx
05-30-2013, 04:59 PM
Wow I do not know how I missed this thread?! If your tribute wasn't stirring enough the photo with the poem next to it had me!!! Do not question your love of your little furies. If you can make that love known and felt across a computer screen then they surely knew it.

Ever since you had posted photos of Cheeto eating those oat sprays, I had wanted to get some for JJ to try. I finally did that a couple of weeks ago. JJ wasn't eating them and I wasn't sure what she should be doing anyhow so I Googled hamster eating oat spray. You know what came up? Yep - Cheeto enjoying hers.

Needless to say JJ just doesn't care for them. She ignores them but Cheeto is etched in everyone's heart that you have shared her with as well as our memories.

She had you for a mom. She was loved. No hammy could ask for better!!! I hope that offers you some comfort.

Thank you so much.

The oats must be an acquired taste. Cheeto loved them, and GiGi still does. But Jasmine was never interested, like JJ. Just one of those things, I guess.

Gazmo
05-31-2013, 02:07 AM
im so sorry.. she was loved by you, and everyone here..

fluffydd
06-05-2013, 05:54 PM
I'm really sorry you lost Cheeto. She will be missed by everyone here. She was a real cutie and I've loved reading about her and seeing her photos. Your memorial to her was beautiful and very moving.

*hugs*

gutterglitterxx
06-05-2013, 07:05 PM
im so sorry.. she was loved by you, and everyone here..

Thank you. Miss her so much.

I'm really sorry you lost Cheeto. She will be missed by everyone here. She was a real cutie and I've loved reading about her and seeing her photos. Your memorial to her was beautiful and very moving.

*hugs*

Thank you very much. She was a super special girlie. I miss her a lot, every day.