PDA

View Full Version : Dwarfs?

hamster _hayley
08-25-2005, 05:02 AM
Along with TJ I would love to rescue some Dwarfs, what are they like temperment wise? Anybody with any information please come forward with tips and advice. Will be much appreciated. :D

SnuggleHam
08-26-2005, 06:10 AM
Iv only owned dwarf roborovskis, But from my experience and what I have heard dwarfs make great pets to, they just tend to be a bit more spunky and can be a bit more difficult to handle due to this nature. Some will always be skittish and some I’m sure could bind to you fairly well. Dwarfs seems really independent to me, so that nature I think makes them less cuddlier then Syrians. But if you have the room and time to care for some then go rescue some dwarf hams!

There is information about there here on HC so feel free to read up on them, or else do some Goggle searching :)

babyboos
08-26-2005, 06:42 AM
It all depends what you want from your dwarf hamsters Hayley - they are all slightly different in their behaviour. Roborovski are happy to live in a large environment with lots of toys and provide hours of visual entertainment. They are fast and not always the most comfortable being handled although I have NEVER been bitten by one and relatively illness free. Campbell's Russian Dwarf Hamsters however have experienced a lot of bad publicity due to nippiness and diabetes, however obtaining your dwarf hamsters from a good hamster hobbyist should reduce the occurence of these conditions. Indiscriminate and intensive inbreeding have much to blame for these. Campbell's are happy to play and be handled as are Winter White Russian Dwarf Hamsters. They are double the size (bigger in a good show quality hamster) than Roborovski. The key with all is to give them as much room as possible in a secure environment. Be constantly vigilent for fighting or health issues (although this later consideration is the same for Syrian Hamsters) and you should have happy, friendly dwarf hamsters. They have slightly different care from Syrians. They enjoy a higher protein diet, less fruit, more vegetables, and the addition of extra seeds and grains is appreciated.

hamster _hayley
08-26-2005, 08:49 AM
Thanks guys :D