PDA

View Full Version : Natural Set Up

LisaAndObi
04-30-2013, 09:46 AM
I finally ordered my Maxi Duna Multy, and will be collecting it in two weeks time. I have decided to make a natural looking habitat for my Syrian Obi, like the German style tanks and here's my ideas so far [-o<

Two sections, seperated by medium (17cm high) log 'play sticks' as a fence, secured to the base.

Woodland Section (2/3 of the cage)
17cm Megazorb
Scattered dried grass
Wooden log cabin slightly burried
Reptile Cork Logs
Log play bridges
Grass Straw nests
Pieces of fruit logs
Potted Cress (with the pot burried to look as though it's growing)

Desert Section (1/3 of the cage)
5cm of baked childrens play sand
1/2 coconut hide
Scrubbed rocks
11" Karlie Wonderland
Small paper mache cave

Now, anyone have any other ideas? It needs to be as natural looking as possible and of course safe :p

Gazmo
04-30-2013, 10:00 AM
wow :L thats sounds amazing! you have one lucky hammy! i dont think theirs much more you can add to it :) good job, please put pictures up when you sortit! it sounds gorgeous

Lemon66|
04-30-2013, 04:30 PM
Oh my! That is quite a project. It's going to look super nice, I really wish I had a cage like that (and I'm sure my hamster, Hedvig, feels the same way) :D

LisaAndObi
05-01-2013, 01:30 AM
Aww thanks guys! I really enjoy making things and decided why not make something great for Obi that will look cool on my desk too :D

It should be finished by the end of the month at the absoloutley latest and I will upload photographs in this DIY section so you can see :)

Loobylou
05-01-2013, 08:18 AM
That sounds really good. It's a bit like the one I did for my robo.
Well it started off being quite natural but then I added a 65cm long level to the desert side just for even more running space and that's joined by a bendy ladder thing to reach the 40cm level at the other end which has the wheel on. So she has 140 cms in length altogether.
I used chinchilla sand in the base with a dried vine, rocks and ladders to get up to the level. I did have a cave thing but ended up swapping it for a half coconut shell and a grass house.
I got carried away and bought too much stuff, as you do.

Because I used Fitch in the other half it doesn't really look that natural with it being so white
but she has a huge grass tunnel which I'd forgotten I'd ordered and came today and some other wooden things. She doesn't have a house as she likes to bury underneath the level.

She seems to love all the space and races around like a little mad thing hehe.She makes me quite dizzy.

I'm still waiting to get some compost stuff to plant my catgrass in and will add that to the desert half once it's grown.

I can't wait to see pics of your finished cage.

pixiehollow
05-01-2013, 08:49 AM
That sounds amazing! Really looking forward to seeing it :D

Biscuit
05-01-2013, 09:29 AM
Wow! That sounds amazing. Can't wait to see the completed project! :D x

Silver
05-01-2013, 12:06 PM
I can't wait to see this!

xxx

linford27
05-01-2013, 01:07 PM
really looking forward to seeing this! Maybe you could post some links as to where to get some things? I'd be interested in looking into this myself!

Ilovehamsters
05-01-2013, 01:08 PM
Sound really good! :D
Can't wait to see this!

xxx

LisaAndObi
05-01-2013, 01:35 PM
You guys are making me more exited to make this! And for everyone who is curious as to what I will put in it, I will make a list of what it is, where I got it from and how much it is to buy :D

Silver
05-01-2013, 01:36 PM
Brilliant idea I am always on the look out for new things for Amy xxx

LisaAndObi
05-01-2013, 01:49 PM
That sounds really good. It's a bit like the one I did for my robo.
Well it started off being quite natural but then I added a 65cm long level to the desert side just for even more running space and that's joined by a bendy ladder thing to reach the 40cm level at the other end which has the wheel on. So she has 140 cms in length altogether.
I used chinchilla sand in the base with a dried vine, rocks and ladders to get up to the level. I did have a cave thing but ended up swapping it for a half coconut shell and a grass house.
I got carried away and bought too much stuff, as you do.

Because I used Fitch in the other half it doesn't really look that natural with it being so white
but she has a huge grass tunnel which I'd forgotten I'd ordered and came today and some other wooden things. She doesn't have a house as she likes to bury underneath the level.

She seems to love all the space and races around like a little mad thing hehe.She makes me quite dizzy.

I'm still waiting to get some compost stuff to plant my catgrass in and will add that to the desert half once it's grown.

I can't wait to see pics of your finished cage.

Any picture LoobyLou? Never can have too much inspiration :D

Queen Of The High Teas
05-01-2013, 02:29 PM
Oh wow, looking forward to seeing this! I love the german inspired setups, and apart from stock photo's I've never seen a maxi multy! Nobody seems to sell the multy's only the mini dunas.

LisaAndObi
05-01-2013, 02:31 PM
Oh wow, looking forward to seeing this! I love the german inspired setups, and apart from stock photo's I've never seen a maxi multy! Nobody seems to sell the multy's only the mini dunas.

Wobbles your right. I rang almost every single pet shop and gardening centre in the north east without success! I then contacted Ferplast who told me a VERY short list of places I could get one.

Gizmo_Gonzalez
05-07-2013, 11:16 AM
Stone to scratch claws on? Or several of them different heights in and arangement so you can put treats ontop and encourage climbing to wear claws down?

linford27
05-10-2013, 11:00 AM
Did you get any further with this? I want to make my own natural set up as I am getting a tank in June, Id love some more inspiration!

LisaAndObi
05-11-2013, 02:19 AM
Did you get any further with this? I want to make my own natural set up as I am getting a tank in June, Id love some more inspiration!

Yes! I have pretty much bought everything that I need and the cage should arrive on Monday with pictures to follow as soon as I have finished it! Also if you PM me I can send you some photographs which I am using for inspiration :)

ncun4920
05-11-2013, 12:00 PM
I'm really excited to see this as I'm thinking of doing a similar setup for my hams!

Loobylou
05-14-2013, 02:15 AM
Any picture LoobyLou? Never can have too much inspiration :D

I've posted a couple in my thread 'Introducing little Lottie' in the robo section.
It's changed slightly from when the pics were taken but you can get the general idea.:) And you're right, you can never have too much inspiration. I keep finding things and thinking "Ooh now that's a good" idea and then change things about and add things.
At the moment I'm busy making a 3 room cave looking type of thingy, accessed by hamster sized holes but I ran out of clay and am waiting for my delivery to arrive.
I bought a small tree planter to grow some grass in and then thought how easy it would be to make one so that's next on my list once the cave is finished.

How's yours coming along? Looking forward to pics for more inspiration :D

LisaAndObi
05-14-2013, 04:10 AM
How lovely! And that tank looks massive! You little one is lucky to have so much space. I really like the background actually but I don't think that my cage would take one very well haha.

Currently I am waiting for the pet store to ring me to let me know that it's arrived! I really am expecting it to be any day now really. Obi is also getting inpatient! His Mini Duna is just too small for him and the little guy is frustrated and always trying to get out!

Loobylou
05-14-2013, 05:39 AM
Aww bless him, he will be so happy with the extra space. Lottie uses every inch of hers (the little footprints in the sand are a dead giveaway) hehe. I love to know that she's exploring it all and having lots of things to investigate.:)

Yeah it is quite big, I joined 2 tanks together so it's 140 cms or 4'11" in 'old money'. The only annoying thing is that it's only 12" deep, I would have liked double that really. I could join 4 tanks together???!!!:D

The background is The Japanese Garden one. I tried to find the one that looked the least as if it was underwater.
Although I think Lottie would look so cute in flippers and a snorkel. hehe

LisaAndObi
05-14-2013, 06:51 AM
140cm is a great size! I hope that my 96cm by 52cm will be okay for him. I am thinking if turning his mini into a sand play area with some paper mâché sand dunes :D

Also heard from the pet shop and they say there is a slight delay on the post. So it's probably going to be at least a week before I can collect and finish it :(

LisaAndObi
05-23-2013, 02:06 AM
The cage has arrived in the pet store today so I will be picking it up this afternoon! Will likely be a week before the cage is photograph ready, but it's finally coming together!

Loobylou
05-23-2013, 03:00 AM
The cage has arrived in the pet store today so I will be picking it up this afternoon! Will likely be a week before the cage is photograph ready, but it's finally coming together!

I bet you can't wait and I'm looking forward to seeing the finished set up.
Hmm I think mine is finally finished now.

Did you previously ask about moss in one of your other threads, I can't remember? But just to let you know I ordered some dried moss which I pva'd to the cave (more like the Flintstones home) and it still looks very green and because it's dried it doesn't need misting.

LisaAndObi
05-23-2013, 03:46 AM
I must see photographs once yours is done!

I remember trying to decide if I wanted moss, but in the end it seems more of a hassle. Can I ask how much you bought it for :) ?

Loobylou
05-23-2013, 04:03 AM
I must see photographs once yours is done!

I remember trying to decide if I wanted moss, but in the end it seems more of a hassle. Can I ask how much you bought it for :) ?

I paid £10.68 inc p&p but if you want some I can send you some as there was loads of it. Just PM me your address and let me know if you just want a little bit or quite a lot and I'll post some out to you. I've also got a spare packet of catgrass if you want that aswell. I ordered 2 without realising just how much is in each packet :)

It seems daft you buying some when I have lots left and no plans to use it all :)

I'll post some pics over the weekend if I can remember how to do it :D

LisaAndObi
05-23-2013, 05:21 AM
What a beautiful human being you are! I've sent you a PM regarding the moss :)

And just upload them to something like Photobucket! I can't wait to see it! I'm thinking Obi's will be ready Thu/Fri time but currently having issues with his new Karlie Wonderland which is flipping wonky, again! This is the second faulty one from Amazon and I'm debating what to do about it. Grrr.

Loobylou
05-23-2013, 12:31 PM
What a beautiful human being you are! I've sent you a PM regarding the moss :)

And just upload them to something like Photobucket! I can't wait to see it! I'm thinking Obi's will be ready Thu/Fri time but currently having issues with his new Karlie Wonderland which is flipping wonky, again! This is the second faulty one from Amazon and I'm debating what to do about it. Grrr.

When you say wonky. do you mean that it goes up and down slightly as it goes round? Lotties does the same and it doesn't seem to bother her, just adds to the fun, like being at the fair :D

Like I said in my PM if I can't help someone out with something then I wouldn't be a very nice person. I have some spare and you want some so why not give it to you and save you wasting your money :)

LisaAndObi
05-24-2013, 12:08 PM
When you say wonky. do you mean that it goes up and down slightly as it goes round? Lotties does the same and it doesn't seem to bother her, just adds to the fun, like being at the fair :D

Like I said in my PM if I can't help someone out with something then I wouldn't be a very nice person. I have some spare and you want some so why not give it to you and save you wasting your money :)

Fair ground! The second one isn't so wobbly so I'm thinking of keeping it but it was annoyingly moving up and down! Silly thing!

And I know you are kind :) I'm the sort of person who is very kind to others too but it usually doesn't pay off! I'm exited for this moss :)