PDA

View Full Version : Arnie died.

xXxEricaxXx
04-25-2013, 04:57 PM
Hi guys,

I came home to a horrible sight tonight and I don't think I'll ever forgive myself. I came home late and went in to check on Arnie and my stomach dropped when I noticed his cage door open and I remembered that I changed his food and water this morning in a rush this morning. I prayed he was still in his bed but saw his food had been eaten so I knew when I checked his bed it would be empty and it was.

I prayed he would still be in this room because we have a dog so I began the hunt and praying I wouldn't find a bloody patch somewhere. I didn't. I found him quickly though, by the front door. I think he had been stood on which... I don't know if that is any better than Rosie getting to him but I can only hope it was quick.

The worst part is not knowing what happened to him. He doesn't look "squashed," but then I don't know how he would look if he had been. His eyes are open, one of them has a white circle in the middle, the other is squinted. One paw is under his body the rest are splayed out slightly. His ears are half way up and he felt really heavy. There is a lump in his side that wasn't there before.

I hate myself. He didn't have a great life at the end. I was working so much that I rarely got to take him out and didn't clean his cage as often as I should have. I'm absolutely devastated. He was the best hamster, he NEVER ONCE tried to bite me, ever. I only hope that when he got out, he had a great adventure roaming the flat and that when whatever it was that killed was him so quick that he didn't know anything had happened.

I'm so sorry Arnie.

Please guys, ALWAYS double check that you've secured your hamsters cages.

Stockannette
04-25-2013, 04:59 PM
Sorry for your loss. Rest in peace, Arnie.

Pompompoms
04-25-2013, 05:11 PM
I'm very sorry to hear this. It has happened now and was a horrible accident so please try not to punish yourself for how his life ended. If the time comes when you have more time again that you decide you can put in the sort of care you would like to for another ham, there are lessons that have been learned from this, and that is all you can take.

Play well little Arnie xxx

Arraminta
04-25-2013, 05:14 PM
OMG!!!!! That's totally horrific!!so sorry for you and your loss.

Arraminta x

xXxEricaxXx
04-25-2013, 05:22 PM
Thank you. I'm devastated. It must have just happened when I came home about 12:00am, either my boyfriend or I when he opened the door. I can't believe it it.

Razor-toothed
04-25-2013, 05:30 PM
R.I.P, Arnie.

Victoriah107
04-25-2013, 11:07 PM
So sorry to hear about Arnie :(
Rest in peace little boy hammy.

evel_lin
04-25-2013, 11:28 PM
I'm so sorry, what a horrific thing to happen

Silver
04-26-2013, 02:10 AM
So very sorry for your loss xxx

newcastlemam
04-26-2013, 02:26 AM
I am so sorry for your loss, we all make mistakes try not to punish yourself to much it was a terrible accident, I will always blame myself for my cat losing her leg as I had went back into the house to say bye to my OH and she got out and was hit by a car. It is a horrific feeling to blame yourself. Stay strong xx
Play well at the bridge little one xx

cactus
04-26-2013, 03:56 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about Arnie. Try not to beat yourself up about it too much, it was an accident and I'm sure he knew how much you loved him even if you couldn't be with him as much as you would have liked. Play well at the bridge Arnie xxx

polishrose
04-26-2013, 04:51 AM
RIP Arnie.So sorry :( It was a horrible accident though so don't blame yourself. My daughter didn't close her cage properly about 5 years ago and her hamster that we'd had for only a few days got out and was killed by the cat.(The cage went in the bin as it was one of those fancy cages designed for kids not hammies and one of the end caps hadn't clicked on properly(I learnt a lot more about proper hamster housing after that)

HammieLover95
04-26-2013, 05:33 AM
I am SO sorry. My Syrian Chip somehow squeezed himself between the bars of the cage and the dog got him, so I know how you feel. Don't beat yourself over the head too much...these things happen and sweet Arnie is waiting for you by the Rainbow Bridge :)
Play well Arnie xx

The Hamster's family
04-26-2013, 08:44 AM
I'm very sorry for your little Arnie... It is normal that you are feeling guilty right now... In time, try to remember that you never meant for this to happen... We all di mistakes, but we don't want accidents to happen... You will forgive yourself in time... Just give the time some time...

Enjoy the Bridge, little one. Send warming hugs to that special someone your left behind...

Annie xx

Kent Hamster
04-26-2013, 09:43 AM
I am so sorry! that must of been terrible :(

souffle
04-26-2013, 09:51 AM
I am so sorry. Accidents happen and it was a sad coincidence that it sadly led to Arnie passing over. I think you have learnt a very hard lesson but try and forgive yourself because it was never intentional and wasting your emotional energy on things you can never change is not a good way forward. Arnie enjoyed life while he was with you. Treasure those memories.
Play well at the bridge Arnie xx

ILSMarki8
04-26-2013, 01:23 PM
I am sorry for your loss. Something really similar happend to Pixie just a week ago. It is most important thing to forgive yourself, if not, at least try to replace blame feeling with all memories of time you spent together. Arnie probably had good time with you but the moment came for him to move on. I know there is not much you can do to make yourself feel better, but I always try to preoccupy myself with other pets and try not to think of that unpleasant moment. In the end, only time can salve your sorrow. RIP Arnie, have fun over the Bridge.