PDA

View Full Version : Hi

Rigela
08-21-2005, 09:11 AM
Thought I'd introduce myself as this seems the polite thing to do here.

I have kept hamsters on and off for many years mainly as a child but more recently I had a grey female (Little Mikee) until April 2005, she was aged 2+. Hamster Friend joined us in May aged about 6 weeks from Pet World and was a lovely friendly litttle thing (cream with white band). Unfortunately she developed a large tumour..... :cry:

So I'm currently without hamster and was wondering about getting another. I started looking on the net for breeder/seller information as I'm always a little dubious of pet shops and was wondering about the possibility of there being someone local. I stumbled across Hamster Central Forum and as there seemed to be some good advice on it thought I would join.

Rigela

babyboos
08-21-2005, 10:23 AM
Hello Rigela nice of you to join us I hope you share lots of memories of your hamsters with us and find a new furry friend soon. Are you looking to adopt another Syrian? Are you a member of the Northern Hamster Club or The Hamster Society? They will be able to put you in touch with members close by who may have babies, or rescues, or I know a couple of breeders in your area who may be able to help.

SnuggleHam
08-21-2005, 10:40 AM
Hello Rigela,

Welcome to the forum, I am very glad you have joined and I’m sure this is the right forum for you :)

I know how it can feel, wanting another hamster but being unsure because of past experiences; I think it is best to buy from a breeder where you know the stock is healthy and so on.

Where are you located? Manchester in the UK I am assuming? Well I’m sure someone here will have some good suggestions as to where you might start looking.

Again and welcome, I look forward to hearing about your search in finding a new ham friend :)

Rigela
08-22-2005, 10:08 AM
Hi Babyboos and Candace,

Thanks for the nice welcome! This is a friendly site.

In reply, yes I'm in Manchester UK (well, slightly South of Manchester) and am likely to get another Syrian. I am missing the friendly face when I am up late :(

I haven't contacted the Northern Hamster Society yet but probably will but if you have names of breeders-(Thanks Babyboos, I would be grateful for any names). I have been looking at this and other sites and didn't realise the amount of hamsters in need of rescue/rehoming so will likely post a message on the classified bit and see if anyone knows of any needing a home.

Rigela

PJ
08-22-2005, 02:15 PM
I have some winterwhites and campbells dwarfs currently looking for homes. Also there is the rodent rescue in manchester PM me for their phone number if you are interested in getting one from them. Cynthia is a very nice lady and I'm certain she has syrians at the moment. I'm out near warrington so quite close

babyboos
09-10-2005, 05:26 AM
Hello again Rigela did you manage to find a hamster yet?

pophammy
09-10-2005, 07:43 AM
I know someone in the Northern hamster club who has three litters at the moment. PM me if you want more details. It would be Rotherham area so not too far from you!

Rigela
09-12-2005, 02:56 PM
Hi There,

Sorry I haven't replied (PJ, Babyboos and Pophammy) work has been really hectic recently.

No I haven't got another hamster yet. I have resisted going to a petstore as I know I can't resist those little faces....

I did try and adopt a rescue hamster I found on the internet. Why try locally if there is one hundreds of miles away!!!!! I had even persuaded my husband that a 2-3 hr detour from a visit to friends down South would be worth it. He thought I was mad but I really wanted to give this little thing a home- she had been looking since May :( .

Anyway, there seems to be too many complications in homing an animal from another area (Had never heard of a vet reference before) so will try locally now. Will give Rodent Palace Rescue a call (saw number on site courtesy of Hamster Haley +TJ)

PJ- If you have the number of Rodent Rescue in Manchester that would be helpful.

Pophammy-I would love a little healthy baby from a breeder, but as I want a pet I would like try giving a home to a rescue one first. Perhaps you could PM me their contact details.....just in case!

Rigela

Emma
09-12-2005, 03:15 PM
Good luck finding your hammy Rigela, and welcome to HC :)

Like you I've waited until I could find a hammy in rescue, rather than buy from a pet shop, and I've struck gold with my latest, Phoebe, is an absolute angel. I hope you find yours soon!

babyboos
09-12-2005, 03:29 PM
Oh Rigela I can sense you will soon have a wee rescue to love.

Rigela
09-12-2005, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the support

I'm sure I will...eventually......!!!

Rigela

flogging_molly
09-13-2005, 12:24 AM
Good luck Rigela and welcome to the forums. Its a long shot because you are in England and i'm up in Scotland but i do have a little dark golden boy looking for a home, he's only 6 weeks old :oops:

Rigela
09-13-2005, 09:38 AM
Hi,

Your little Golden Boy sounds really sweet Flogging Molly but I'm not going to be anywhere near Scotland for a while :( . (Am originally from Scotland though, so do travel up occasionally to see the relatives)

Have spoken to Rodent Palace Rescue in Ellesmere Port, Wirral, they have some older rescue hamsters and am going to pop round next week. :D

Perhaps I will have a new member of the family soon!

Rigela

hamster _hayley
09-13-2005, 09:45 AM
(Sorry i havn't posted in a while!)

I'm sssssooooooooo gald your going to RPR! Ian and Carol are the nicest people ever! Hope you get a good one.

Good luck

Rigela
09-13-2005, 09:53 AM
Thanks I hope there is one there for me!

Although... just saw pictures of Roverina's babies on the hamster chat bit..........Sooooooooo cute.......

Rigela

ps don't worry will go to RPR but just tempted by the sight of little little ones! :oops:

hamster _hayley
09-13-2005, 09:57 AM
Hehe thats alright. Ian and Carol look after there animals superbly! They house might look a bit crowded but all of the animals are so well cared for it's amazing! They are evening helping Chester zoo with a field mouse breeding prgramme!

Rigela
09-19-2005, 03:18 AM
Hi,

I have now got another little hamster friend called Little Bear :D a rescue hamster from Rodent Palace Rescue in Ellesmere Port. Please see their appeal on the classifieds section.

She is apparently about 1 year old, I think a sable colour (but would welcome opinions once picture up) and had been used for breeding until brought to the rescue with 2 other females and a "worn out male!" (he was being shy so didn't see him)

I will post pictures and introduction on the hamster chat bit once I can find out how to post pictures......! :oops:

Thanks for all the encouragement Guys.

Rigela

hamster _hayley
09-19-2005, 08:05 AM
Congratulations!!!!!!! I'm so gald you went to RPR! Can't wait to see pics!

Rigela
09-19-2005, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the congratulations and for recomending RPR again Hayley. It's such a shame that the have to close down. I am amazed that they can squeeze as many animals as they have in there though. It's not a big house!

Rigela

babyboos
09-22-2005, 02:50 PM
Oh Rigela you are teasing us - where's the pictures :oops: :wink:

Rigela
09-22-2005, 04:33 PM
Hi Babyboos,

Sorry about the delay posting pictures. I took a few the night I got little Bear home but didn't realise you had to put pictures in something like photobucket.. then transfer to the site.....thought I would just cut and paste etc :shock: :?

I haven't had enough time to look into that this week unfortunately but should be sorting something out hopefully over the weeekend.

She is settling in well and has become part of the family now :D

Rigela

babyboos
09-26-2005, 05:53 AM
Oh that is great news Rigela hope you sort out some form of image hosting service soon :wink:

sarah
10-07-2005, 01:50 PM
Hi Rigela,

Welcome to the site :) I'm so glad you've managed to find Little Bear and give him a good home. Looking forward to seeing some pics :)