PDA

View Full Version : Plastikote unsafe...?

mummytoboys
04-23-2013, 07:47 AM
I'm new to DIY hammy homes but before joining the group I contacted Plastikote about their products and received this response;

'Sorry we would not recommend our products for an animal enclosure. They are also not waterproof.'

Please feel free to correct me if others have different information but thought it worth sharing as I have noticed a few do use Plastikote

Scampi16
04-23-2013, 08:05 AM
I really hope thats not true as i plastikoted my robos wheel and their house i built. I am at present painting a lot of old wooden bird toys for both my robo's and my syrian. i will watch this thread with interest.
My question mummytoboys is this a response about all plastikote or just sprays?
i picked paint (less colour choices) because that was the one that said child toy safe and low levels of something i can't remember - but something to do with pollution etc where as the spray on stuff had high levels of this and didn't say it was child toy safe.
Plus it was only yesterday i bought three more pots for extra colour choice to the three I already have (£24 in total) i only bought these esp for my hammies.

mummytoboys
04-23-2013, 08:35 AM
This was the response to a general enquiry I made to Plastikote so I'm assuming they are refering to all their products

Scampi16
04-23-2013, 08:41 AM
I'm hoping that they mean painting a whole enclosure like a wooden rabbit hutch as it wouldn't fully protect the wood against constent toileting?? Or even just hoping that they are covering their backs. I will have to look into this as if it is unsafe rather than just not fully waterproof i will have to remove their wheel & house and not be able to give them their new toys:(

mummytoboys
04-23-2013, 08:44 AM
Exactly why I posted their reply. They have not supplied anymore info than this. If I come across any I will pass it on

Kaztrekie
04-23-2013, 10:37 AM
It is safe for children's toys and very waterproof tested by me running a coated pine shelve under a tap for 10 mins water then went on plants shelve was fine.all of their products may not be but the brush on enamel which I have used is fine.

Amethyst_ice
04-23-2013, 11:17 AM
It depends which product, i use the clear spray to make my wood wee proof, Decorative spray paints from Plasti-kote, the market leading spray paint (http://www.plasti-kote.co.uk/Product/pcode---7228/pccode---6751)

mummytoboys
04-23-2013, 11:19 AM
It is safe for children's toys and very waterproof tested by me running a coated pine shelve under a tap for 10 mins water then went on plants shelve was fine.all of their products may not be but the brush on enamel which I have used is fine.

I'm guessing it may be to cover their backs then

slatted
04-23-2013, 11:43 AM
Maybe it is water resistant but not waterproof? There is a difference I believe.
It would not protect if outside in the elements permanently if water resistant so maybe that is what they mean.
And an "enclosure" is not the same as shelves and accessories inside a cage.

Kaztrekie
04-23-2013, 11:47 AM
That's prob what they mean I will stick my spare test sheve outside for a while :)

Queen Of The High Teas
04-23-2013, 11:50 AM
I would think their meaning if you wanted to use it to paint a whole rabbit or guinea pig hutch, then its not designed nor suitable for that, anymore than you'd plastikote a garden fence or shed! A shelf, toy or wheel is a bit different:p.

mummytoboys
04-23-2013, 12:38 PM
All makes sense cheers. Anyone know what would be safe for an enclosure?

Queen Of The High Teas
04-23-2013, 03:56 PM
What is your enclosure made of? I coated wooden stuff in PVA glue, it's used in schools so should be safe, and once its dry it goes clear and shiny.