PDA

View Full Version : Too Much Wee?!

cowgirlskipper
04-18-2013, 07:18 PM
my hybrid baby oreo's cage/substrate has to be completely changed every single day because she pees so much. I am not sure of the cause. I use pine shavings for substrate, and she seems to drink a lot. She has a lot of chew toys, and I have been all over the forums looking for the solution to this problem. With using so much bedding, my funding is running out, and I need help. So is this a major problem, or am I just being an overconcerned hammie mommy? :confused:

Eriklover555
04-18-2013, 07:56 PM
Peeing a lot is a symptom of diabetes, so I'd take her to the vet. If nothing else, it sounds less than healthy and is definitely stressful to her.

Hamtastic
04-18-2013, 10:03 PM
It could be diabetes or kidney trouble. I'd test Oreo's no. 1 with Keto-diastix strips to give you an initial idea and go from there! Your ham does seem to go too much if you actually have to clean daily o.o I'd swap to paper bedding like Carefresh and the like as well--it's much more absorbent.

Gazmo
04-18-2013, 11:56 PM
this is definately a symptomof diabetes, keep an eye on her, and tak her to the vets

newcastlemam
04-19-2013, 01:48 AM
I would take her to the vets for a check up as that does sound like she is peeing to much and that can be signs of diabetes

kyrilliondaemon
04-19-2013, 05:19 AM
There are other things it could be apart from diabetes but I'd agree with Hamtastic that testing for diabetes would be a good place to start

Zebbie
04-19-2013, 06:08 AM
....I assume you are sure it is wee, and not a leaking water bottle or overturned bowl? (I realise this should be fairly obvious, but if a bottle is just not screwed together quite enough it can drip very slowly and you might not notice - and it is better than diabetes!)

cowgirlskipper
04-20-2013, 08:57 AM
yeah. its all over the cage and it has a sickly/sweet smell, and she goes over there every time to pee so I'm pretty sure.

Hamtastic
04-20-2013, 11:39 AM
The sweet smell could come from a high-fat diet (which can also go with high protein all in one--are you offering a lot of mealworms?) That could lead to increased urination and stress on kidneys. Not just diabetes.

If you are giving a lot of mealworms, I'd cut them down to maybe one a day or fewer for now and offer *small* bits of tofu periodically instead. Check his urine with Keto-diastix strips to see if there's an elevation in glucose. Offer more fiber and a low-fat diet, and see if anything changes.

cowgirlskipper
04-20-2013, 12:02 PM
I actually dont give any mealworms at all as they aren't available where I live.